The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo and Tendinitis

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo and Tendinitis

Participant

Has anyone experienced this while on Opdivo? I have bad heel pain that wasn’t too bad in the early months of Opdivo but now sometimes I feel like I can hardly walk. Feels like plantar fascitiis (which I used to have at times but controlled with exercise), but now it is so pronounced. Have been heavily dosing with ibuprofen and started soaking with epsom salts and have acupuncture appointment soon. 

Am I right to be treating this generally like plantar fasciitis?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

It is very likely plantar fasciitis. I have it myself, started when I was on Opdivo too, but I do not think it's related. I ended up getting an xray of my foot and have 2 ugly bone spurs and I have a drop arch which I guess tends to create plantar fasciitis too. I just deal with it through PT exercises and good shoes right now. Some days better than others but it's really not fun so I feel your pain. I would see a podiatrist for it to get an evaluation. 

JuTMSY4
          Participant

I mean, I can say that I had Plantar Fasciatis after a number of Keytruda infusions, but I can't provide a causal link.  There is some supporting research on joint pain and PD-L1, but probably not for that.

The general treatment is what you're doing (dunno about acupuncture) and lots of rest.  I had to really slow down my exercise regimen until it went away.  It's gone now (about a year later) and I can run normally again.  YMMV

lkb
            Participant

Arch stretches and spacious, flat sneakers/boots work for me–pre-nivo, however.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics