The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo and diabetes

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo and diabetes

Participant

So it seems that I am among the 0.9% of people who have contracted Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus after receiving Opdivo monotherapy.* My doctors, both my endocrinologist and the two oncologists I have seen are all  at a loss when it comes to helping me manage it. They all tell me that immunotherapy-mediated T1D is even harder to manage than regular old T1D, but beyond that there's just shrugging of shoulders. My oncologists refer my questions to my endocrinologist, but my endocrinologist says she only knows of one other patient who has gotten diabetes as a result of immunotherapy. It's a new area for a lot of people, me included.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated, so I am reaching out to anyone else on this forum who might have also been in that 0.9%. How are you managing it? Do you feel like you have it under control? Have your doctor's been helpful? Please respond here or message me. Mostly, I'm looking to see that I'm not alone, and also that I'm not crazy.

Thanks,

-Rich

http://www.opdivohcp.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000onjAXEAY

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Unfortunately, you are not alone.  Endocrine side effects….affecting the thyroid, adrenal glands, pancreas, and pituitary, etc….are unfortunately known risks of all immunotherapy (ipilimumab/yervoy, nivolumab/opdivo, and pembrolizumab/keytruda).  There are quite a few on this board who have been dealing with all of the above, including diabetes.  I am sure they will reach out to you.  Here are a few reports that might interest you:  

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/diabetes/early/2018/06/20/dbi18-0002.full.pdf  

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/powerful-new-cancer-drugs-are-saving-lives-can-also-ignite-diabetes-or-other-autoimmune  

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326604261_Expert_opinion_on_immunotherapy_induced_diabetes  

I could give you lots more if you are interested.  But, clearly…you can see that you are neither crazy nor alone.  I am sorry you are having to deal with this additional insult.  However, your endocrinologist should be able to help you mange your condition.

Hang in there.  I'm sure others with more personal experience will respond.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Lucas
            Participant

I developed type 1 diabetes after 5 infusions of keytruda. While it was a shock at first to be dependent on insulin. It is no harder to manage because it’s immunotherapy induced. I’d much rather live without it however  advancements in diabetes have made it much easier to manage. At this point it just feels normal along with my other manageable endocrine issues. I rarely see my endo because I have it under control and my A1C is always good! It gets much easier in the following months, I’ve had it for two years. 

RichInLife2
              Participant

Hi Lucas. Thanks for the reply. I've had diabetes since 11/5/2018. How long did it take you before you felt you had your diabetes well-managed?

-Rich

Lucas
                Participant

Diabetes will always be up and down. I still have very high numbers at times, but the idea is to not stay high or low. If you monitor closely and correct you will be ok, especially with a CGM. It was hard in the first couple months of diagnosis to learn the process and accept. Also my doctors didn’t have any info on immunotherapy induced diabetes. They all thought it was likely reversible. 

RichInLife2
                  Participant

Thanks, Celeste. I've read about the connection between diabetes and anti-pd1 immunotherapy. Glad to know I'm not crazy or alone and also glad to hear that other folks are managing better than I am. That gives me hope, anyway. It's just that I'm frustrated with the apparent buck-passing of my various doctors and feel like I'm left to figure this stuff out on my own. I guess I just need to have a little more patience.

kst
                  Participant

I developed mine after 10 doses of Nivo along with other AE's starting March 2018.  It was impossible to control while on high dose steroids.  After switching from steroids to Infliximab and then Actemra I was able to get it under control.  I am currently using Lantus and Novolog along with Janumet and it seems to be regulated as long as I eat accordingly.  I have to adjust dosage ahead of meals to avoid blood sugar spikes based on what I intend to eat.  Be consistent checking blood sugar before eating and after and you will get used to adjusting dosage.

Susanne

RichInLife2
                      Participant

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. I have a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) so I'm able to check my blood sugar constantly, getting almost real-time numbers as well as trends. The tricky part is dosing as my carb-to-insulin ration seems to vary widely. I'm not on steroids or any other medication other than Nivo. I'm curious about the Janumet, though. I thought that was just for type 2 diabetes and not for someone who is already insulin-dependent.

-Rich

RichInLife2
                        Participant

I really meant to type "Hi Susanne." I really wish this board had an edit (or even delete) function!

kst
                          Participant

Not sure they are ready to peg my type one way or another because my pancreas is producing a small amount of insulin.  Listed on chart as diabetes mellitus without complication, unspecified type, uncontrolled, long term use of insulin.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics