The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Only isolated cells found in one lymph node, no CLND says onco surgeon

Forums General Melanoma Community Only isolated cells found in one lymph node, no CLND says onco surgeon

Participant

Hi again!

Can somebody tell me what this equals to? In my readings on the subject on the net (and they are hard to find) it tells me that there was no cluster of cells and that the diameter of those cells is less than 0.1mm.

Is this true? Am I really a stage 2??

BTW, WLE on plantar of my foot came back clear!!!!!!! And I got to keep my toes!!!!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi  again,

Got the feeling that  your results genie would be out of the lamp before next week…

Ok – Delighted the toes are staying.

Does your snb say that they detected some single cells of melanoma and they are microscopic.?

Melanoma cells seem to develop into "nests" that are clustered together and grow into tumours. So a nest would be a collection of cells and comes later than isolated cells.

If they have found microscopic traces but only in the sentinel node then I believe you are being advised that CLND complete lymph node dissection – is not needed as they already removed that lymph node with the tiny trace- so the benefit of removal of the others is likely to be far outweighed by the risk of surgery ,lymphoedema etc  So the headline is You are NED- no evidence of disease . 

This spells out the stages so you can draw your own conclusions on staging if you have any more information to add to the picture.

https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/diagnosing-melanoma/stages-of-diagnosis

If my assumptions are correct you have strayed the tiniest possible fraction into Stage III territory (sorry ) but have already undergone appropriate surgical treatment.  

Breathe a big sigh of relief and celebrate .

Deb

SOLE
            Participant

Thank you Deb for your reply!

I had my onco surgeon call me this morning so I don't have the full report in hand. I will go this afternoon and try to understand it.

If he said I don't need the CLND, then my assumption is that it must be microscopic and not nested…

More later today on that subject…

(So grateful but STILL STUNNED BY ALL THIS!)

SOLE
              Participant

As for staging, I read that microscopic traces are not significant and that I could be considered stage 2…

SOLE
                Participant

As for staging, I read that microscopic traces are not significant and that I could be considered stage 2…

ed williams
                  Participant

Hi Sole, glad to hear that you don't need a  SLND. Finding information and a good explaination is always difficult. I have two video's that focus on the early procedures for those dealing with Melanoma. It goes into more detail than you need but sometime being educated about the topic can reduce the stress level. Best Wishes!!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrW4UdkCu8I    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofW8d4J6sI

ed williams
                    Participant

Hi Sole, glad to hear that you don't need a  SLND. Finding information and a good explaination is always difficult. I have two video's that focus on the early procedures for those dealing with Melanoma. It goes into more detail than you need but sometime being educated about the topic can reduce the stress level. Best Wishes!!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrW4UdkCu8I    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eofW8d4J6sI

Bubbles
                      Participant

I believe the SLND….sentinel lymph node dissection has already been done…and Ed just had a typo meaning you do not have to have the CLND….COMPLETE lymph node dissection.  (I can read "mouse"!!!!)  Just didn't want there to be additional confusion.  I wish you well, SOLE.  (Love you, Ed!!!) Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

I believe the SLND….sentinel lymph node dissection has already been done…and Ed just had a typo meaning you do not have to have the CLND….COMPLETE lymph node dissection.  (I can read "mouse"!!!!)  Just didn't want there to be additional confusion.  I wish you well, SOLE.  (Love you, Ed!!!) Celeste

ed williams
                          Participant

Thank you Celeste!!!!

ed williams
                            Participant

Thank you Celeste!!!!

ed williams
                              Participant

Thank you Celeste!!!!

Bubbles
                                Participant

ed williams
                                  Participant

SOLE
                                    Participant

SOLE
                                      Participant

I had my onco surgeon call me this morning so I don't have the full report in hand. I will go this afternoon and try to understand it.

If he said I don't need the CLND, then my assumption is that it must be microscopic and not nested…

SOLE
                                        Participant

debwray
                                        Participant

Hi  again,

Got the feeling that  your results genie would be out of the lamp before next week…

Does your snb say that they detected some single cells of melanoma and they are microscopic.?

Melanoma cells seem to develop into "nests" that are clustered together and grow into tumours. So a nest would be a collection of cells and comes later than isolated cells.

If they have found microscopic traces but only in the sentinel node then I believe you are being advised that CLND complete lymph node dissection – is not needed as they already removed that lymph node with the tiny trace- so the benefit of removal of the others is likely to be far outweighed by the risk of surgery ,lymphoedema etc  So the headline is You are NED- no evidence of disease . 

This spells out the stages so you can draw your own conclusions on staging if you have any more information to add to the picture.

https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/diagnosing-melanoma/stages-of-diagnosis

If my assumptions are correct you have strayed the tiniest possible fraction into Stage III territory (sorry ) but have already undergone appropriate surgical treatment.  

Deb

debwray
                                          Participant

Hi  again,

Deb

SOLE
                                            Participant

Here is from the article from the Oncology Journal (re: my staging in light of sub micrometstasis)

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/10/1578.short

SOLE
                                              Participant

Here is from the article from the Oncology Journal (re: my staging in light of sub micrometstasis)

SOLE
                                                Participant

Patrisa
                                                  Participant

My father also had a microscopic mel in his sentinel node, did also a complete LND and all was clear… However a few years later he progressed to stage IV… so in my opinion, it would be better to stage you at III and give you some immunotherapy (not sure if you qualify if you are stage II)…

nevertheless, you have good results!

take care,

Patrisa

SOLE
                                                      Participant

Did he do any immunotherapy? What are the odds of going to stage 4 with so little cells? Was it micrometastases or sub-micrometastases?

Patrisa
                                                        Participant

He had a miceometastase in his sentinel node….

After surgery he was on interferon for 12 months, after that 2 years in the clear and then relapse…

So, in my opinion, you should definitely do some kind of immunotherapy, just to be extra precocious….

good luck!

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                          Participant

After surgery he was on interferon for 12 months, after that 2 years in the clear and then relapse…

So, in my opinion, you should definitely do some kind of immunotherapy, just to be extra precocious….

good luck!

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                            Participant

good luck!

Patrisa

SOLE
                                                              Participant

Did he do any immunotherapy? What are the odds of going to stage 4 with so little cells? Was it micrometastases or sub-micrometastases?

SOLE
                                                                Participant

Patrisa
                                                                Participant

My father also had a microscopic mel in his sentinel node, did also a complete LND and all was clear… However a few years later he progressed to stage IV… so in my opinion, it would be better to stage you at III and give you some immunotherapy (not sure if you qualify if you are stage II)…

take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                  Participant

take care,

Patrisa

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

The cells found in my lymph nodes were also microscopic. Still makes me stage 3 but also gave me the ability to start on Ipi for an adjuvant treatment in the hopes to prevent it from coming back.

So, based on what I know, even with one lymph node showing microscopic evidence, that still puts you in the stage 3 category, but just over the hump from 2 and still good news. It also means you should have the option to do adjuvant treatment if you wanted to. 

Your doctor should go over staging and where you fall and all of that with you too, so you better understand your options.

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

The cells found in my lymph nodes were also microscopic. Still makes me stage 3 but also gave me the ability to start on Ipi for an adjuvant treatment in the hopes to prevent it from coming back.

So, based on what I know, even with one lymph node showing microscopic evidence, that still puts you in the stage 3 category, but just over the hump from 2 and still good news. It also means you should have the option to do adjuvant treatment if you wanted to. 

Your doctor should go over staging and where you fall and all of that with you too, so you better understand your options.

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

Joycem
                                                                          Participant

Sounds like good news! Wishing you speedy healing and long health.

I saw an "integrative oncologist" after I decided not to do interferon and I found it helpful. He discussed lifestyle, diet, supplements, etc. to maximize health/immunity in order to decrease likelihood of recurrences and to be in best possible health to face treatment if recurrence does occur. The hard part for me will be, I think, staying motivated to implement his recommendations as my fear fades. 

Blessings, 

Joyce

Joycem
                                                                            Participant

I saw an "integrative oncologist" after I decided not to do interferon and I found it helpful. He discussed lifestyle, diet, supplements, etc. to maximize health/immunity in order to decrease likelihood of recurrences and to be in best possible health to face treatment if recurrence does occur. The hard part for me will be, I think, staying motivated to implement his recommendations as my fear fades. 

Blessings, 

Joyce

Joycem
                                                                              Participant

Blessings, 

Joyce

Jennab0525
                                                                                Participant

Hello!!!

i just wanted to reply that you and I have almost the identical situation!! I had two isolated tumor cells found in my sentinel node. Mine were very microscopic and had not began to cluster or mat. Unfortunately my oncologist (two oncs actually as I got a second opinion) told me that although they were only microscopic that any trace of melanoma in your node elevates you to a stage 3. However he said that research does show in breast cancer patients that if isolated tumor cells are found in the SLNB they consider the node to be negative and do not elevate the stage. Unfortunately they don't have the same amount of research in melanoma patients at this time so for now they still stage us at a 3. He said that there are a few studies out there right now that are trying to determine the significance of isolated tumor cells in Melanoma patients but those results won't be in for a few years. So here we are in the "limbo" stage. 

Both oncologists I saw gave me the option of immunotherapy. One insisted on the CLND and the other said no way. My second oncologist said that both the risks of immunotherapy and the CLND far outweighed any benefits for a patient like me so I chose the "watch and wait" approach. I get CT scans every 3 months (although now I just graduated to every 4 months) and skin checks every 3 months. I am very comfortable with that decision and things have been going great so far! Just had my one year cancer free scan! Yeah me!

My oncologist feels my chance of recurrence is about 15-20%. I feel the general populations chance of getting cancer is about the same (if not higher) but unlike everyone else, I'm watched VERY closely so if I do progress we will catch it early. I can live with that.

The bottom line is whatever you decide will be your personal decision and what you feel is best for you! I know this stage of the game is the worst part but trust me it does get better!!

Jenna

SOLE
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Jenna!

May I ask how thick was your primary? Ulcerated? Mitosis?

As for the rare isolated cells, first I read that this is the 1-3 cells category which while its not a negative node, may be better than fall in the false negative category… Second: your pathologist was able to count the cells in your node, mine apparently used a different technique I suppose and here is my question: do we have the same results (+-1) or is my rare isolated cells refers to groups of 1-3 cells scatteted around?

Your thoughts?

Congrats on your 1 year NED!

SOLE
                                                                                      Participant

Also, is your 15-20% recurrence rate linked to the two cells found in your node or something else?

SOLE
                                                                                        Participant

Also, is your 15-20% recurrence rate linked to the two cells found in your node or something else?

SOLE
                                                                                          Participant

SOLE
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Jenna!

As for the rare isolated cells, first I read that this is the 1-3 cells category which while its not a negative node, may be better than fall in the false negative category… Second: your pathologist was able to count the cells in your node, mine apparently used a different technique I suppose and here is my question: do we have the same results (+-1) or is my rare isolated cells refers to groups of 1-3 cells scatteted around?

Your thoughts?

SOLE
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Jenna!

Your thoughts?

Jennab0525
                                                                                              Participant

Hello!!!

i just wanted to reply that you and I have almost the identical situation!! I had two isolated tumor cells found in my sentinel node. Mine were very microscopic and had not began to cluster or mat. Unfortunately my oncologist (two oncs actually as I got a second opinion) told me that although they were only microscopic that any trace of melanoma in your node elevates you to a stage 3. However he said that research does show in breast cancer patients that if isolated tumor cells are found in the SLNB they consider the node to be negative and do not elevate the stage. Unfortunately they don't have the same amount of research in melanoma patients at this time so for now they still stage us at a 3. He said that there are a few studies out there right now that are trying to determine the significance of isolated tumor cells in Melanoma patients but those results won't be in for a few years. So here we are in the "limbo" stage. 

Both oncologists I saw gave me the option of immunotherapy. One insisted on the CLND and the other said no way. My second oncologist said that both the risks of immunotherapy and the CLND far outweighed any benefits for a patient like me so I chose the "watch and wait" approach. I get CT scans every 3 months (although now I just graduated to every 4 months) and skin checks every 3 months. I am very comfortable with that decision and things have been going great so far! Just had my one year cancer free scan! Yeah me!

My oncologist feels my chance of recurrence is about 15-20%. I feel the general populations chance of getting cancer is about the same (if not higher) but unlike everyone else, I'm watched VERY closely so if I do progress we will catch it early. I can live with that.

The bottom line is whatever you decide will be your personal decision and what you feel is best for you! I know this stage of the game is the worst part but trust me it does get better!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                                                                                                Participant

Hello!!!

Jenna

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics