The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

One year ago…

Forums General Melanoma Community One year ago…

Participant

I needed a place to commemorate this moment among people who truly understand so I hope you don’t mind me taking up space here with my own, personal story.

One year ago today, I woke up from a long, 8-hour procedure to remove a fist-sized brain tumor from the left frontal lobe of my brain. I had been diagnosed Stage 4 just 36 hours earlier, my daughter was just 15 days old but I was lucky the tumor was gone.

At that point though, and probably more so in the weeks that followed, I was beyond distraught. What was I going to do? What would my life look like? How long was I going to be here for my sweet girl and my family? 

As you all know, it takes time to even start to process all the emotions you have but, all that aside, I don’t even think my wildest dreams could have predicted that I’d still be feeling so good and normal-ish and able to pursue life! Sure, things have not been perfect — there was surgery, radiation, Opdivo and, most recently, 3 rounds of the combo which landed me in the hospital for more time than brain surgery! But, I’ve still been able to be a mom, plan parties, go on vacation, work full-time and keep enjoying as much as I can out of every day.

Mayve this hasn’t been a perfect year, but it’s been a good year and I’m thankful to have come this far, feel this good and have the opportunity to learn from all of you!

Take care!

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Thanks, ever so much for sharing, Amanda!!!   YOU ROCK!  So sorry for all the torture, but so happy you  found a way to not only come through the other side but simultaneously enjoy your baby girl and your LIFE!!!!  What a story of inspiration and hope for others!  May things only continue to improve!!  love, celeste

AMcReader
            Participant

Maybe it’s not the path I would have chosen but it’s still the one I’m going down…might as well enjoy the ride! You understand. I garnered a lot of my courage and strength in the early days from scouring your blog and learning from those who were living it. 

MichelleRHG
            Participant
              Thank you for sharing!
              BillB
              Participant

Hi Amanda, I have watched your story from your first post and am extremely happy for you. May the following year bring everyone happiness.

Bill

AMcReader
                  Participant

Thank you, Bill! I wish you and everyone on this board more happiness than they can handle! The ride can be rough but so very worth it! 

jbronicki
                  Participant

Amanda, what a lucky little girl to have you as her mom! You have shown more strength than most of us ever will and I'm so happy that you are here.  I'm wishing you a long lifetime to that wonderful little baby and you deserve so much credit for your strength and courage.  Wish you didn't have to go through this, but man are you amazing!

AMcReader
                      Participant

You are too kind, Jackie! I definitely try every day to be a role model for my daughter and to be a calm, safe space for her no matter what is going on with me. She has also become such a life-force for me though. Something to focus on and think about when I’m waiting for another scan, another treatment, another opinion. What more is there worth fighting for than her?

I wish you love and continued health too! I always enjoy reading your comments on other people’s posts. You’re always so positive and kind and we all need that around here!

Johnjk04
                      Participant

Way to go Amanda !!!!! I'm sure people have said " how can you go through all of that?" When you have a gorgeous baby child, you have absolutely no other choice. Keep going, something tells me that you aren't going anywhere Amanda.

AMcReader
                          Participant

You’re right, John! Many people have said that but there is just no other choice — and I always tell people they would do the same, they just haven’t had to. One foot in front of the other, keep pushing forward, keep hoping for the best and planning just in case things go haywire. We all get by as best we can, regardless of our situations. I appreciate your encouragement! 

Johnjk04
                          Participant

Way to go Amanda !!!!! I'm sure people have said " how can you go through all of that?" When you have a gorgeous baby child, you have absolutely no other choice. Keep going, something tells me that you aren't going anywhere Amanda.

marta010
                            Participant

Amanda – you are a SURVIVOR!  You have a great attitude and deserve every moment with your daughter and family!  Totally appreciate your comment on being in the hospital longer from side effects that brain surgery – my husband's neurosurgeon was ready to discharge him 2 days after his last craniotomy!  contrast that to a 5 day stay for adrenal insufficiency!  Go figure!  Sending prayers for a lots of happy days with your family!

Ann

AMcReader
                                Participant

I was laughing about it last weekend when I was in the hospital for 5 days to get my liver enzymes under control. I felt totally fine, just needed those IV steroids! After brain surgery, I was literally there 2 nights and I got discharged even more efficiently that day! Wild! Sending love to you and your husband! 

KellyH
                                Participant

Hi Amanda!!! 

When my son was diagnosed last year I was so scared and so overwhelmed….I found this forum and little by little I got up enough nerve to read everyone’s stories and to find the hope and knowledge I needed to make the right decisions for my son. 

Someone at work told me…”you are the strongest person I know”  and my response was “I wasn’t given a choice”…..this was an uninvited adventure in our lives but we are taking one day at a time and we are living our new “normal” life. 

I am like you so thankful for each and every day. This changed our lives forever but I think I now appreciate the little things that much more. 

I am happy to hear that you are feeling well and enjoying your life and your baby girl!!! !  That’s the best any of us can hope for with or without a melanoma diagnosis!!!!!! 

Best wishes always!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

sing123
                                  Participant

Aww, Amanda thanks so much for sharing such a heartfelt update. Your incredible strength resonates in your words. And love the pic of sleeping baby!

Am so hopeful for you, and all of us. 

desmelwife
                                    Participant

Your story so touched my heart, Amanda!

I have two children and know that when faced with hardships I always think about my children. First and foremost I am a mom and want to cherish every single second with them.

You have such a beautiful and positive attitude and I'm sure you will raise a strong and confident little girl.

Many blessings and continued health to you!!

Tania

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics