The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

One thing I REALLY dislike about ALL new message board software

Forums General Melanoma Community One thing I REALLY dislike about ALL new message board software

Participant

is the way that new replys bring the post to the top.  It wasnt' a feature of older board software like the evolution of the MPIP.  It's hard to follow older posts and put them in perspective. It's human nature to think if something is at the top it's a new discussion.  It's great if your on a forum discussing Camping, pets or just about anything else, but in my opinion it really s*cks with a cancer board. 

is the way that new replys bring the post to the top.  It wasnt' a feature of older board software like the evolution of the MPIP.  It's hard to follow older posts and put them in perspective. It's human nature to think if something is at the top it's a new discussion.  It's great if your on a forum discussing Camping, pets or just about anything else, but in my opinion it really s*cks with a cancer board. 

Tonight was the worst.  I returned from a meeting, turned on the computer, navigated to MPIP and the first post on the main forum was a thread started in July by a member who has recently entered hospice.  Maybe I'm just too sensitive recently.  But I think I'm about to give up the battle over this community.  It's now the MRF Bulletin Board…. Long live the MPIP.

It's not that I try to forget about folks because I ride a bike with names of Warriors and Angels every day abd I add more on a regular basis.  I give thought to them many times a day.  I guess I've just got to pull back and find another place to spend more time.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jocelyn
        Participant

I just saw the same post on the main board. There was a similar issue when an old thread was brought up a few weeks ago. Our first response is to think the person who originally started the thread is posting, and it is someone we would be glad to hear from. But then we remember that someone just dug the thead out of a previous page, and this brought it to the top. It's unsettling and a painful feature of this board, and others like it.

Jocelyn
          Participant

I just saw the same post on the main board. There was a similar issue when an old thread was brought up a few weeks ago. Our first response is to think the person who originally started the thread is posting, and it is someone we would be glad to hear from. But then we remember that someone just dug the thead out of a previous page, and this brought it to the top. It's unsettling and a painful feature of this board, and others like it.

BethA in VA
            Participant

Thanks for pointing this out.  It got me on this tonight…as I was happy to see a post from Sharon and thought it was current…didn't look at the date.  Now I feel really stupid! 

I agree…stop changing the order of the posts!  Its too hard to follow what happens.  Beth

BethA in VA
              Participant

Thanks for pointing this out.  It got me on this tonight…as I was happy to see a post from Sharon and thought it was current…didn't look at the date.  Now I feel really stupid! 

I agree…stop changing the order of the posts!  Its too hard to follow what happens.  Beth

King
                Participant

Jerry,

I, too, was stunned to see the post from Sharon at the top discussing treatment options.  Many of us have brain fog and don't always look for the small details like the date of the original post.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

LizzM
                    Participant

I agree about this, too. And also not being able to know which responses are new ones when you open a post. Aggravating!!

LizzM
                      Participant

I agree about this, too. And also not being able to know which responses are new ones when you open a post. Aggravating!!

King
                      Participant

Jerry,

I, too, was stunned to see the post from Sharon at the top discussing treatment options.  Many of us have brain fog and don't always look for the small details like the date of the original post.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

bcl
                        Participant

Jerry, please stay – you are right about so many things, maybe they will listen.

bcl
                          Participant

Jerry, please stay – you are right about so many things, maybe they will listen.

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Jerry, I hope you won't leave us.

I know that this new format is very frustrating for many people, but what makes the MPIP special is NOT the format, it's the people. If folks like you leave, then there is no saving the spirit of these boards

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Jerry, I hope you won't leave us.

I know that this new format is very frustrating for many people, but what makes the MPIP special is NOT the format, it's the people. If folks like you leave, then there is no saving the spirit of these boards

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                  Participant

dian & Linda,

I'm sure that like alot of the others I'll participate from time to time. Just not with the same feeling of belonging to a group the way I was embraced by the people of MPIP.  It's the MRF now and it's what they wanted.  Just doesn't feel as comfortable. Too corporate, antiseptic.

There are lots of other places I can explore.  I participate in a number of other forums for other interests and I've developed a few myself. 

I really do love all the friends I've made here for what they have shared and the help they have given me and others.  I just see it fading.

I'm not one to pull punches and I try to call them the way that I see them and feel.  I try to temper my remarks because I can get very passionate.  My lance is a bit battered… it's time to look for other battles.  Corporate has made it's mind up…. it's there ball and their game… but it "sure is pretty."

Jerry from Cape Cod

TinaR
                                    Participant

Guess we should have taken you up on your offer to create a new Darkside board last summer. That loss also contributed to the deterioration of the other boards, an unexpected consequence for those looking to alter the community.

Hope you continue to visit when you can. It's hard to keep up with everyone in this format, but I've always looked for your messages and will try to continue that practice on my own infrequent visits to the board.

TinaR
                                      Participant

Guess we should have taken you up on your offer to create a new Darkside board last summer. That loss also contributed to the deterioration of the other boards, an unexpected consequence for those looking to alter the community.

Hope you continue to visit when you can. It's hard to keep up with everyone in this format, but I've always looked for your messages and will try to continue that practice on my own infrequent visits to the board.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                        Participant

dian & Linda,

I'm sure that like alot of the others I'll participate from time to time. Just not with the same feeling of belonging to a group the way I was embraced by the people of MPIP.  It's the MRF now and it's what they wanted.  Just doesn't feel as comfortable. Too corporate, antiseptic.

There are lots of other places I can explore.  I participate in a number of other forums for other interests and I've developed a few myself. 

I really do love all the friends I've made here for what they have shared and the help they have given me and others.  I just see it fading.

I'm not one to pull punches and I try to call them the way that I see them and feel.  I try to temper my remarks because I can get very passionate.  My lance is a bit battered… it's time to look for other battles.  Corporate has made it's mind up…. it's there ball and their game… but it "sure is pretty."

Jerry from Cape Cod

Tim–MRF

Jerry;

The idea behind having the post go back to the top when a new reply is written makes some sense. 
                                          Active topics stay front and center, and trying to follow a thread is easier if it hasn't fallen off the front page.

Having said that, I find some of the same frustration.  I want to know which posts I have read and which I haven't, and sometimes the chronology gets messed up by this feature.  I am going to talk it over again with a couple of people here.  I actually find the new format very easy to use, and pretty intuitive.  But this one feature can add to the confusion, and not showing what you have already read is a problem.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Jerry;

The idea behind having the post go back to the top when a new reply is written makes some sense. 
                                            Active topics stay front and center, and trying to follow a thread is easier if it hasn't fallen off the front page.

Having said that, I find some of the same frustration.  I want to know which posts I have read and which I haven't, and sometimes the chronology gets messed up by this feature.  I am going to talk it over again with a couple of people here.  I actually find the new format very easy to use, and pretty intuitive.  But this one feature can add to the confusion, and not showing what you have already read is a problem.

Tim–MRF

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

Just a matter of time before we see a post at the top of the main board from someone who has died…that's a relatively stressful thing for stage IV patients.

Tim–MRF

That is exactly my concern.  II have done some inquiry and think we have three options:

–leave the threading as it is, which is the way most current bulletin boards do it

–change it so that only new posts go to the top, which is the original format of MPIP

–allow participants to choose which way to view threads.

Looking in to all three and what would be involved in making the change.

KyCyn
                                                  Participant

I would vote for the second one, 'allow participants to choose which way to view threads.'

I really liked that feature on the old bb, the choice of chosing threads 'by date' or by, um, I don't remember what the other choice was, I just remember there were two choices 🙂

KyCyn
                                                    Participant

I would vote for the second one, 'allow participants to choose which way to view threads.'

I really liked that feature on the old bb, the choice of chosing threads 'by date' or by, um, I don't remember what the other choice was, I just remember there were two choices 🙂

Tim–MRF

That is exactly my concern.  II have done some inquiry and think we have three options:

–leave the threading as it is, which is the way most current bulletin boards do it

–change it so that only new posts go to the top, which is the original format of MPIP

–allow participants to choose which way to view threads.

Looking in to all three and what would be involved in making the change.

dian in spokane
                                                        Participant

Just a matter of time before we see a post at the top of the main board from someone who has died…that's a relatively stressful thing for stage IV patients.

Rocco
                                                        Participant

Yup, right there with you Jerry!  I like to see the new posts at the top, not the posts that had the most recent reply.   It's way too time consuming to read through the current view of posts to figure out if a post is new, or old but with a new comment or reply to it.  Let's face it, on this bulletin board, time sequencing matters a great deal given the topic we discuss versus other bulletin boards that perhaps handle more 'fluffy' topics.

Rocco
                                                          Participant

Yup, right there with you Jerry!  I like to see the new posts at the top, not the posts that had the most recent reply.   It's way too time consuming to read through the current view of posts to figure out if a post is new, or old but with a new comment or reply to it.  Let's face it, on this bulletin board, time sequencing matters a great deal given the topic we discuss versus other bulletin boards that perhaps handle more 'fluffy' topics.

jackiewin
                                                            Participant

I finally was able to log in on the little notebook my sn-in-law gave me to use.

I can add my gripes.  Why is it that new responses to a posting go to the bottom of the heap?  One has to scroll down to read the new replies.  They should be at the top so one doesn't have to go through all the replies previously read.

Just my two cents worth.

Jackie W

jackiewin
                                                              Participant

I finally was able to log in on the little notebook my sn-in-law gave me to use.

I can add my gripes.  Why is it that new responses to a posting go to the bottom of the heap?  One has to scroll down to read the new replies.  They should be at the top so one doesn't have to go through all the replies previously read.

Just my two cents worth.

Jackie W

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics