The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Older patients and Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Older patients and Interferon

Participant

Hello.  My mother was recently diagnosed Stage 2b and is having surgery on December 14th.  Her doctor (Dr. John Kirkwood in Pittsburgh) has recommended interferon therapy following.   I've researched it and it does seem scary.  I'm particualry curious if anyone has personal experience with an older patient on this treatment?   I understand there will be side effects, and that all patients react differently, but any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello.  My mother was recently diagnosed Stage 2b and is having surgery on December 14th.  Her doctor (Dr. John Kirkwood in Pittsburgh) has recommended interferon therapy following.   I've researched it and it does seem scary.  I'm particualry curious if anyone has personal experience with an older patient on this treatment?   I understand there will be side effects, and that all patients react differently, but any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Praying for a CURE not only for my mother but for all melanoma patients!   St. Jude, please pray for us.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

How old is older?  I did interferon in my 50's and had an awful time – but that is probably just my physiology.  Drugs always hit me hard.    Do lots of research on the effectiveness of interferon and maybe get a second opinion.  It is a rough road for many people so go into it with armed with information.

good luck!

Fen
          Participant

How old is older?  I did interferon in my 50's and had an awful time – but that is probably just my physiology.  Drugs always hit me hard.    Do lots of research on the effectiveness of interferon and maybe get a second opinion.  It is a rough road for many people so go into it with armed with information.

good luck!

Fen
            Participant

good luck!

DonnaK
              Participant

I'm sorry to see your mom is in this situation.  I don't have any advice on interferon for older patients, but I would seriously suggest getting a second opinion. Dr. Kirkwood championed Interferon therapy and is likely biased. I'm not necessarilly against Interferon…(my husband is currently taking it.)  I'm just not sure how necessary it is for Stage 2B…

Best of luck.

Donna

Denise
                  Participant

Thank you.   I'm trying to arm myself with as much information as possible.   From what I've been reading, I don't think Sloan Kettering is even using interferon any longer.  We're lucky enough to know someone at Johns Hopkins, and we're getting him involved for his input as well.  I just want to make sure that we're comfortable with the decision.

eaca
                    Participant

Denise,

I'm stage 2b as well and have been taking Peg-Interferon on a clinical trial since September.  You may want to investigate Peg-Intron as an alternative to the regular interferon therapy, as there are fewer injections and the side-effects for some are reportedly less.  Some research results have indicated that interferon/Peg-intron is especially effective for earlier stage ulcerated melanomas, and that is why additional trials are being carried out using it.

You're right to arm yourself with all the information you can to help make your decision.  Good luck in your fight and wishing you the best.

Elisa

Cooper
                      Participant

You're right about Dr. Kirkwood and interferon, he and his institution set up melanoma.com which is a site that promoted interferon use.  Also, Sloan Kettering, Hopkins and many others stopped prescribing it years ago. It doesn't improve survival odds. Older patients may not tolerate the severe toxic reactions that some encounter.  Peg Interferon has been shown be even MORE toxic.  I wouldn't let my senior aged  parents take either or relatives of any age for that matter.

Cooper
                        Participant

You're right about Dr. Kirkwood and interferon, he and his institution set up melanoma.com which is a site that promoted interferon use.  Also, Sloan Kettering, Hopkins and many others stopped prescribing it years ago. It doesn't improve survival odds. Older patients may not tolerate the severe toxic reactions that some encounter.  Peg Interferon has been shown be even MORE toxic.  I wouldn't let my senior aged  parents take either or relatives of any age for that matter.

Cooper
                          Participant

eaca
                            Participant

Denise,

I'm stage 2b as well and have been taking Peg-Interferon on a clinical trial since September.  You may want to investigate Peg-Intron as an alternative to the regular interferon therapy, as there are fewer injections and the side-effects for some are reportedly less.  Some research results have indicated that interferon/Peg-intron is especially effective for earlier stage ulcerated melanomas, and that is why additional trials are being carried out using it.

You're right to arm yourself with all the information you can to help make your decision.  Good luck in your fight and wishing you the best.

Elisa

eaca
                              Participant

Denise,

Elisa

Denise
                                Participant

Thank you.   I'm trying to arm myself with as much information as possible.   From what I've been reading, I don't think Sloan Kettering is even using interferon any longer.  We're lucky enough to know someone at Johns Hopkins, and we're getting him involved for his input as well.  I just want to make sure that we're comfortable with the decision.

Denise
                                  Participant

DonnaK
                                  Participant

I'm sorry to see your mom is in this situation.  I don't have any advice on interferon for older patients, but I would seriously suggest getting a second opinion. Dr. Kirkwood championed Interferon therapy and is likely biased. I'm not necessarilly against Interferon…(my husband is currently taking it.)  I'm just not sure how necessary it is for Stage 2B…

Best of luck.

Donna

DonnaK
                                    Participant

Best of luck.

Donna

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics