The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Old lesion and pathology-lookingnfor clarity!

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Old lesion and pathology-lookingnfor clarity!

Participant

Hi all!

in early 2015 I had a suspicious lesion removed from my perineum. I had just had a baby, was a hormonal mess and waiting for the biopsy results was killing me. I’m a periop nurse and worked mostly with ENT docs at a large hospital removing melanoma all the time! Now I’m at en eye center and Actually as I type this we are removing an eye for ocular melanoma (I’m just charting right now). This has made me over paranoid as I had seen some really sad cases and LN biopsies and such. Any way after a week of agony and constant worry it turns out it was a genital lentiginous compound Nevus with mild to moderate atypia. The dr did decide to go back and get clear margins so that happened and then I was done. I asked fern if I should return for skin checks and they said no need. 

Fast forward to 2018. No real changes now except the year. Yesterday, my manager told us all that her daughter who is 38 has malignant melanoma and has been battling it since 2012. She was about to celebrate 6 years without recurrence and then her recent scans showed tumors every where. We were all upset and she is receiving new treatments in order to extend her life. This brought me right back to my fears of melanoma. I thought I would ask this lovely group of knowledgeable individuals: is there anything else I should do to follow up with my lesion that was removed? Would you have skin checks without any melanoma or known familial melanoma risk? I have terrible anxiety (who doesn’t) and sometimes I’m sucked back in to the terrifying feeling that I may have melanoma. I applaud you all and bless you for sharing your stories. I’ve been following this forum since 2015 during my scare and am more diligent with skin care than ever!

any thoughts or foresight any one can offer will be helpful.

thanks in advance!!!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        QuietPoet
        Participant

It can never hurt to have skin checks — so why not go to a dermatologist once a year? That can at least give you some reassurance.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics