The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

OK “Bubbles” and “NSnewf ” You Wanted Proof Here You Go

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community OK “Bubbles” and “NSnewf ” You Wanted Proof Here You Go

Keymaster

I'm NOT advocating by any means  Bee Propolis is a cure or alternative just an enhancement.

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health 

Adv Clin Exp Med. 2015 Mar-Apr;24(2):203-12. doi: 10.17219/acem/31792.
      The Ethanol Extract of Polish Propolis Exhibits Anti-Proliferative and/or Pro-Apoptotic Effect on HCT 116 Colon Cancer and Me45 Malignant Melanoma Cells In Vitro Conditions.
      Kubina R1, Kabała-Dzik A1, Dziedzic A2, Bielec B1, Wojtyczka RD3, Bułdak RJ4, Wyszyńska M1, Stawiarska-Pięta B1, Szaflarska-Stojko E1.
      Author information
      Department of Pathology, Medical University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland.
      Department of Conservative Dentistry with Endodontics, Medical University of Silesia, Bytom, Poland.
      Department of Microbiology and Virology, Medical University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland.
      Department of Physiology, Medical University of Silesia, Zabrze, Poland.
      Abstract
      BACKGROUND:
      Propolis is a natural product widely consumed in folk medicine. Different biological activities, such as anticancer, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antifungal effects have been reported for propolis and its constituents.
      OBJECTIVES:
      An in vitro study focused on an evaluation of the biological activity of EEPP, including its anti-proliferative influence on selected neoplastic cells, considering qualitative-quantitative chemical characterization of Polish propolis.
      MATERIAL AND METHODS:
      Cytotoxicity was evaluated by means of the MTT and LDH assays. The apoptosis was determined using fluorescence microscopy with annexin V-FITC. Additional EEPP composition was analyzed by a High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) method. The antimicrobial activity was evaluated by minimal inhibitory concentrations (MIC) against Streptococcus aureus, Enetecoccus faecalis, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Candida albicans.

RESULTS:
      The total content of flavonoids per quercetin in the examined propolis extract amounted to 0.442±0.091 mg/mL. The flavonoid compounds identified in Polish propolis included flavones, flavonones, flavonolols, flavonols and phenolic acids. The multi-directional interactions among the various chemical compounds in propolis seem to be the essential biological activities when considering its anticancer effects. The results showed that in case of Me45 and HCT 116 cell lines, the ethanol extract of propolis could inhibit cell growth as well as cell size reduction. Regarding antimicrobial activity, EEPP showed MICs ranging from 0.39 to 6.25 mg/mL.
      CONCLUSIONS:
      Ethanol extract of propolis from Poland obtained in the study exhibits anti-proliferative activity in different carcinoma cells.
      PMID:
      [Indexed for MEDLINE]

J Agric Food Chem. 2016 Jul 13;64(27):5484-9. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b01785. Epub 2016 Jul 1.
      Effect of Okinawa Propolis on PAK1 Activity, Caenorhabditis elegans Longevity, Melanogenesis, and Growth of Cancer Cells.
      Taira N1, Nguyen BC1, Be Tu PT1, Tawata S2.
      Author information
      Abstract
      Propolis from different areas has been reported to inhibit oncogenic/aging kinase PAK1, which is responsible for a variety of conditions, including cancer, longevity, and melanogenesis. Here, a crude extract of Okinawa propolis (OP) was tested against PAK1 activity, Caenorhabditis elegans (C. elegans) longevity, melanogenesis, and growth of cancer cells. We found that OP blocks PAK1 and exhibits anticancer activity in the A549 cell (human lung cancer cell) line with IC50 values of 6 μg/mL and 12 μg/mL, respectively. Most interestingly, OP (1 μg/mL) significantly reduces reproduction and prolongs the lifespan of C. elegans by activating the HSP-16.2 gene, as shown in the PAK1-deficient strain. Furthermore, OP inhibits melanogenesis in a melanoma cell line (B16F10) by downregulating intracellular tyrosinase activity with an IC50 of 30 μg/mL. Our results suggest that OP demonstrated a life span extending effect, C. elegans, anticancer, and antimelanogenic effects via PAK1 inactivation; therefore, this can be a potent natural medicinal supplement against PAK1-dependent diseases.
      KEYWORDS:
      Caenorhabditis elegans; Okinawa propolis; PAK1; cancer; longevity; melanogenesis
      PMID:
      DOI:
      10.1021/acs.jafc.6b01785
      [Indexed for MEDLINE]

J Nat Prod. 2013 Aug 23;76(8):1399-405. doi: 10.1021/np400129z. Epub 2013 Jul 22.
      Caffeic acid phenethyl ester inhibits alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone-induced melanin synthesis through suppressing transactivation activity of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor.
      Lee JY1, Choi HJ, Chung TW, Kim CH, Jeong HS, Ha KT.
      Author information
      Abstract
      Caffeic acid phenethyl ester (1), a natural compound found in various plants and propolis, is a well-known anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, and cytotoxic agent. The present study aimed to investigate the molecular events underlying the antimelanogenic activity of 1 in alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone (α-MSH)-stimulated B16-F10 melanoma cells. In this investigation, 1 effectively reduced α-MSH-stimulated melanin synthesis by suppressing expression of melanogenic enzymes such as tyrosinase, tyrosinase-related protein-1 (TRP-1), and tyrosinase-related protein-2 (TRP-2), although this compound did not directly inhibit tyrosinase enzyme activity. On the other hand, the expression and nuclear translocation of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) as a key transcription factor for tyrosinase expression regulating melanogenesis were not affected by treatment with 1. The upstream signaling pathways including cAMP response element-binding protein (CREB), glycogen synthase kinase-3β (GSK-3β), and Akt for activation and expression of MITF were also not influenced by 1. Interestingly, 1 inhibited transcriptional activity of a tyrosinase promoter by suppressing the interaction of MITF protein with an M-box containing a CATGTG motif on the tyrosinase promoter. Given the important role of MITF in melanogenesis, suppression of 1 on the function of MITF to transactivate tyrosinase promoter may present a novel therapeutic approach to treat hyperpigmentation disorders.
      PMID:
      DOI:
      10.1021/np400129z
      [Indexed for MEDLINE]

Oncol Lett. 2016 Dec;12(6):4813-4820. doi: 10.3892/ol.2016.5251. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
      Chrysin induces cell apoptosis in human uveal melanoma cells via intrinsic apoptosis.
      Xue C1, Chen Y2, Hu DN3, Iacob C4, Lu C5, Huang Z1.
      Author information
      Abstract
      Uveal melanoma is the most common intraocular malignant tumor in adults. Chrysin is a flavonoid present in honey, propolis, various plants and herbs. In the present study, the cytotoxic effects of chrysin were investigated on human uveal melanoma cell lines (M17 and SP6.5) and associated signaling pathways, and a comparison to the effects on normal ocular cells [scleral fibroblasts and retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells] was performed. The effects of chrysin on cell viability were assessed by 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide assay. Cell apoptosis was determined by using terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase mediated dUTP nick end-labeling assay. Mitochondrial permeability was determined by JC-1 fluorescein analysis. Cytosol cytochrome c levels, and the activities of caspase-3, -8 and -9 were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay or colorimetric assay. Chrysin reduced the viability of cultured human melanoma cells in a dose-dependent manner (0, 10, 30 and 100 µM) with IC50 at 28.3 and 35.8 µM in SP6.5 and M17 cell lines, respectively. Chrysin at 30-100 µM levels selectively reduced the viability of melanoma cells without affecting the viability of scleral fibroblasts and RPE cells. Chrysin increased mitochondrial permeability, the levels of cytosol cytochrome c, and caspase-9 and -3 activities, but not capase-8 activity in uveal melanoma cells. The results of the present study indicate that chrysin induces apoptosis of human uveal melanoma cells via the mitochondrial signaling pathway and suggest that chrysin may be a promising agent in the treatment of uveal melanoma.
      KEYWORDS:
      apoptosis; caspase-3; caspase-9; chrysin; cytochrome c; uveal melanoma
      PMID:

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Brent Morris
        Participant

Dear Mr. Rob578: These articles are some of the 29 from Pubmed that I referenced for you on a previous thread. They are studies of melanoma cells in a test tube. Interesting, but far from proof of effect in real people with melanoma. If you follow the links that Bubbles provided you (more than once) – you can find many more substances that are effective in a test tube, like extracts from seaweed and shrimp.   As a medical professional I must state that your perspective on the import of basic research needs further development. Please try to realize that persistence in this matter is a waste of time and energy. Unlike YouTube videos touting the benefits of baking soda for skin cancer, MRF and this forum are committed to providing relevant, scientific information to real people in real need of help.

mrsaxde
            Participant

Thank you B Morris. When I started reading those the first thing that jumped out at me was "in vitro." Because it works in the lab doesn't mean it will work in the body.

Brent Morris
              Participant

Exactlty

Rob578

Than all we have in your scientific clinical trials world are what the Corporate Sponsors of this MRF site have to offer with no enhancements. Just to mention a few of the Big Pharma site sponsors Merck, Genentech, Novartis, Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb. Hmmm… makes one wonder why all enhancements are immediately condemned on this forum.

Curious you introduce yourself as an MD who seems to monitor my postings closely, yet I never see you offer new members advice. Who I’m sure would be delighted to here on occasion from a real doctor.

Of course when Bubbles says “curcumin”, “mushrooms”, and “shrimp” etc. may enhance melanoma metastasis she gets praised with less studies. Myself I get attacked with more studies. A bit of hypocrisy perhaps.

The studies I posted show bee propolis may have a positive effect as an enhancement. As you are well aware Big Pharma has a judicial responsibility to their shareholders not the health and well-being of the public. They are not in a million years going to invest upwards of $100 million on proper clinical trials when there is no money to be made at the end of the day. This applies to generic off-label drugs too.

This is not some conspiracy theory but a given fact.

Janner
                  Participant

There have been so many studies that showed great promise in a test tube.  Both complementary and pharma.  But that's a far cry from surviving the human digestive system or even do anything in the human blood.  Most and I said MOST of those test tube hopefuls do not show any benefit in the human body.  You see these sensational news stories – another cure for cancer – and then you never hear from it again.  Because it can't make it that next step.   In vitro just doesn't cut it anymore.  Just post your studies with a caveat that you are posting complementary information that you, yourself, find interesting but hasn't been proven via a rigorous clinical trial to help melanoma.  Don't tout is as a treatment.  Post your sources.  Then move on.

adrianc
                    Participant

I agree.Spot on.Too many folks  with control issues here who have declared themselves to be forum experts, without having medical background but they keep peddling imported search they collected randomly online.

doragsda
                    Participant

These are in vitro studies.  " In Vitro" is a latin term meaning, "in glass".    There are literally many thousands of compounds that have, over the years, been found to destroy cancer cells very effectively in a petri dish or test tube.   Very, very few of those have had a similar effect in the human body.   There is absolutely no equating "in vitro" success with clinical success.   By way of bona fides, I am a biochemist.   And no, I am not paid by, nor do I work for, a pharmaceutical company.   I spent my career in public health before retiring, and my wife is a stage IV melanoma patient.

tedtell1
                      Participant

I have a recommendation to everyone….ignore Rob. Please.

Cooper
                          Participant

And Brent Morris is Bubble's husband. Or could be Bubbles posting as him.  Whatever, these are valid points and not there is no scientific oversight or moderation on this chat room.  

bjeans
                            Participant

Announcing that Petri dish results are proof can be considered the opposite of valid. 

And there is moderation in the forum, somewhat different than a chat room, which is live. Several posts were removed recently. A Contact link to the moderators is at the bottom of every page and a Report link at every post. 

cancersnewnormal
                            Participant

I'm sorry, but I stopped reading results after "in vitro". The human body is exponentially more complex than a dish. It's a good jumping off point for further research and studies. Once some solid in VIVO data comes along, I'd be interested in reading about its potential theraputically enhancing properties. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics