The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ohwell…its official Im stage 3

Forums General Melanoma Community Ohwell…its official Im stage 3

Participant
      I have two choices..keytruda first then remove the cancer node then go back on keytruda or remove first then go on Keytruda.

Anyone with suggestions, advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Thankfully, though melanoma sucks great big stinky green hairy wizard balls, you have two good treatment options – adjuvant vs neoadjuvant therapy.
          Here are some posts/articles that address those options:
          https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/08/neo-treatment-with-targeted-or.html
          https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/12/neoadjuvant-immunotherapy-vs-adjuvant.html
          Hope this helps. celeste
            caman
            Participant
              Celeste, if this was you…would you go adjuvant or neoadjuvant? Im asking everyone, including family members, doctors, and friends… the final decision will mines
              Thank you for everything!
              Bubbles
              Participant
                Is the nodule you mentioned in your prior post the only observable lesion you have?
                caman
                Participant
                  Yes it is
                  Thank You!!
                  Bubbles
                  Participant
                    Without a more complete story I cannot tell you what I would absolutely do. If all scans are negative and this was the only lesion I had, here are the things I would consider and discuss in-depth with my doc:
                    1. I would want to know my BRAF status. Targeted therapy can work rapidly, and there are good reports (many were included in the link I shared with you previously) in the neoadjuvant setting.
                    2. I would want to know the plan for follow-up if I were to take Keytruda. Meaning, when would re-scanning take place? When, and based on what criteria, would they consider removing the lesion? Do they have any info on how that choice would be impacted by COVID in your area?
                    3. I would be very interested in a discussion and possible trial of intralesional therapy. Medication that is injected directly into a lesion that is accessible (which yours clearly is) that can get rid of the lesion and have a bystander effect (kills off lesions that are NOT directly injected). Here are many reports: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=intralesional&max-results=20&by-date=true
                    4. Given that this lesion is located along the scar of your prior carotid surgery, is it in an area that would make removal complicated?

Things to keep in the back of your mind.
                    1. Lots of Stage IV patients with active, present lesions throughout their body, for whom surgery is not an option, can have those lesions resolve on either targeted or immunotherapy.
                    2. Any treatments, whether intralesional, targeted, or immunotherapy, that can shrink the tumor will make removal, should it even be needed, easier.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear. But this IS precisely what I would be asking my doc. Hope that helps. Celeste

caman
                    Participant
                      Awesome..Great questions to ask. Can I communicate with you by email as well?…THank you!!
                      Bubbles
                      Participant
                        Sure. Folks reach out to me from mpip all the time via messaging on this site. c
                      ed williams
                      Participant
                        Hi Caman, I have been a little “mouse” as part of checkmate 067 trial by Bristol Myer Squibb, which started back in 2013 and data is still being studied on long term survivors from the trial. So, my view is that of helping in the development of information that will be of benefit to patients in the future is the best way to go. By getting the drug first then taking out the tumor, you would allow the researcher’s to look at the effect of Pd-1 drug on your tumor early. This will help to develop a model where these kind of findings can determine next step for patients. Tumor sample might show t-cell (CD-8 cells getting into tumor) which would be predictive of a hot tumor and a good chance that the Pd-1 drug would be effect on it’s own. No T-cell in the tumor would inform the team that they need to add to the Pd-1 via another route be it radiation, Ipi, T-vec, bispecifics, TLR-9 agoinst, targeted therapy triplets, etc etc in order turn a cold tumor into a hot tumor. Good luck with your choice!!!Ed
                          caman
                          Participant
                            Thank you Ed. I really appreciate that. But Im afraid if I delay removal it may spread. But I understand your point, its a great opportunity to see how my cancer would react to the drug…Its a big decision. Not sure what to do
                            caman
                            Participant
                              Hi Ed, thank you again for your previous response. Can I communicate with you by email? Thank You!!
                        Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics