The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Occipital lymph node

Forums General Melanoma Community Occipital lymph node

Participant

Hi everyone! I have a random question. That no one may know the answer to:

when washing my hair- I found a small bump on my scalp.  After checking my dear friend google-it seems to be where there are occipital lymph nodes.  My original melanoma was on my back and drained to the lymph basin under my left arm.  There were micromets in my sln.  All other nodes removed were clear.   Is it likely to have traveled to the occipital lymph nodes on the back of my head, or Am I just panicking because that's what I do best?

I know anything is possible with melanoma- but I'm just looking for some any possible related experience.  Thanks! Hope everyone hAd a wonderful st Patrick's day!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Something as simple as an infected hair follicle could cause that node to swell.  That really isn't the most likely area of spread, so I'd give it some time to resolve.  Constant fingering could cause it to become a reactive node, so be judicious in your testing of the area.  As with anything, consult your doc if you have questions, but nodes in the neck/head area swell more than any others for benign reasons.  Don't jump to any conclusions.

Janner
          Participant

Something as simple as an infected hair follicle could cause that node to swell.  That really isn't the most likely area of spread, so I'd give it some time to resolve.  Constant fingering could cause it to become a reactive node, so be judicious in your testing of the area.  As with anything, consult your doc if you have questions, but nodes in the neck/head area swell more than any others for benign reasons.  Don't jump to any conclusions.

Janner
            Participant

Marianne quinn
              Participant

My husband has melanoma so I got concerned when I had a bump on my scalp. I let it go  and another one grew. I went to the dermatologist and he froze it off. It was actinic keratosis, a pre cancerous lesion. I hardly ever wore hats, but now I do. I have always been good with the sunscreen, but not the hats. I am sorry now.

Marianne quinn
                Participant

My husband has melanoma so I got concerned when I had a bump on my scalp. I let it go  and another one grew. I went to the dermatologist and he froze it off. It was actinic keratosis, a pre cancerous lesion. I hardly ever wore hats, but now I do. I have always been good with the sunscreen, but not the hats. I am sorry now.

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

Everymoment
                    Participant
                      Hi! Mine go up and down for years and are hard wheN they swell. Mine are from cold sores or when I have sinus mess. At first I was totally freaked out but after realizing the cause I’m fine. I also had a melanoma on my back. Hope this helps.
                      Isabel
                      Everymoment
                      Participant
                        Hi! Mine go up and down for years and are hard wheN they swell. Mine are from cold sores or when I have sinus mess. At first I was totally freaked out but after realizing the cause I’m fine. I also had a melanoma on my back. Hope this helps.
                        Isabel
                        Everymoment
                        Participant
                          Isabel
                      Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics