The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

numbness around scar area

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community numbness around scar area

Participant

I had a stage 2A Malignant Melanoma in my thigh that was operated on almost a year ago. (Feb. 27th 2014). I have been back to the cancer center once for a check up (every 6 months), and my next check up will be next month.  My check up 6 months ago was fine, however, just lately,  the skin on my leg surrounding the scar is VERY numb.  Is this normal almost a year after surgery?  I am getting a little nervous, because it just feels odd!

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

4 years later and i still get weird feelings/sensations around my scar (both WLE and SLNB sites)

JC
          Participant

4 years later and i still get weird feelings/sensations around my scar (both WLE and SLNB sites)

JC
            Participant

Linny
              Participant

Yes, it does feel quite odd. Numbness near a surgicial site is common. It took about 2 years for mine to completely dissipate.

Linny
                Participant

Yes, it does feel quite odd. Numbness near a surgicial site is common. It took about 2 years for mine to completely dissipate.

Linny
                  Participant

SABKLYN
                    Participant

Numbness is common.  If it's something new, let your Doc know.  

SABKLYN
                      Participant

SABKLYN
                        Participant

michelle wiggins
                            Participant

Thanks, I go for my next check-up in Feb.  My leg feels very odd, something that it has not felt like before, so I will let him know when I go.  =-)

michelle wiggins
                              Participant

Thanks, I go for my next check-up in Feb.  My leg feels very odd, something that it has not felt like before, so I will let him know when I go.  =-)

michelle wiggins
                                Participant

democat
                                Participant

It's been two years, and I'm still quite numb. I get mad itches under my arm where they did the axillary node dissection. Small price to pay if I end up being cured.

democat
                                  Participant

It's been two years, and I'm still quite numb. I get mad itches under my arm where they did the axillary node dissection. Small price to pay if I end up being cured.

michelle wiggins
                                      Participant

Hmmm. Interesting!  They did a lymp node dissection on my groin, and besides the golf ball sized fluid filled sac that is STILL there almost a year later, I never, ever get any feeling there at all!  I do still get a swollen leg every night, but I think that it is something that I will probably always have.  I wear support knee socks, and it's not that bad compared to my scar pain and numbness!!  I was also diagnosed on Feb. 14th!  I was 2014 though…What an awful way to spend Valentine's Day!!

I remember going in for a biopsy to my primary care physician.  He looked at it and said it doesn't look bad.  Probably a basal cell carcinoma.  He said he could do the procedure right in the doctor's office.  Then, my hubby and I were going to a black tie gala on Valentine's Day, and I got the call to come in right away.  I told my doc that I don't need to come in, I will just make an appt. for the procedure next week.  He said no, I need you to come in.  For some reason, it STILL didn't click with me!  I was like, if he thinks I am getting this basal cell thing done today, he is crazy!  Then, when he told me it was malignant melanoma, and that I would be going to a cancer center 3 hours away, it was like I was in shock!!  We still went to the ball, but it is still like I was having a dream!  I don't remember much about the evening except that I was determined to have a good time, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking "Oh my God, I have cancer!"  It's good to find a place like this to talk to others who are going through similar situations.  I'm praying for you that your new treatment is a success!

michelle wiggins
                                        Participant

Hmmm. Interesting!  They did a lymp node dissection on my groin, and besides the golf ball sized fluid filled sac that is STILL there almost a year later, I never, ever get any feeling there at all!  I do still get a swollen leg every night, but I think that it is something that I will probably always have.  I wear support knee socks, and it's not that bad compared to my scar pain and numbness!!  I was also diagnosed on Feb. 14th!  I was 2014 though…What an awful way to spend Valentine's Day!!

I remember going in for a biopsy to my primary care physician.  He looked at it and said it doesn't look bad.  Probably a basal cell carcinoma.  He said he could do the procedure right in the doctor's office.  Then, my hubby and I were going to a black tie gala on Valentine's Day, and I got the call to come in right away.  I told my doc that I don't need to come in, I will just make an appt. for the procedure next week.  He said no, I need you to come in.  For some reason, it STILL didn't click with me!  I was like, if he thinks I am getting this basal cell thing done today, he is crazy!  Then, when he told me it was malignant melanoma, and that I would be going to a cancer center 3 hours away, it was like I was in shock!!  We still went to the ball, but it is still like I was having a dream!  I don't remember much about the evening except that I was determined to have a good time, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking "Oh my God, I have cancer!"  It's good to find a place like this to talk to others who are going through similar situations.  I'm praying for you that your new treatment is a success!

michelle wiggins
                                          Participant

democat
                                            Participant

My primary care doctor told me my nodular melanoma, that ended up being a huge melanoma, was nothing and I should ignore it.  I asked to have it removed at my own expense, and the rest is history. If I had followed her advice, I wouldn't be here. 

I remember the shock when I got the call as well.  I got a painful shot of adrenaline through my body. I am thankful for this forum. whenever I freak out, I can come here and read inspirational stories (and sad ones), and know I'm not alone.

democat
                                              Participant

My primary care doctor told me my nodular melanoma, that ended up being a huge melanoma, was nothing and I should ignore it.  I asked to have it removed at my own expense, and the rest is history. If I had followed her advice, I wouldn't be here. 

I remember the shock when I got the call as well.  I got a painful shot of adrenaline through my body. I am thankful for this forum. whenever I freak out, I can come here and read inspirational stories (and sad ones), and know I'm not alone.

democat
                                                Participant

democat
                                                Participant

JoshF
                                                  Participant

I have numbness around scar. I have had 3 surgeries on my right cheek with a good chunk of flesh missing. Do you find yourself rubbing into the scar due to the numbness? I do it all the time and my face gets sore and even more numb. I don't think it's an issue unless you notice any changes in terms of coloration, bumps etc… My surgeon said you can have scar tissue and nerve stuff going on for a few years after surgery.

Josh

JoshF
                                                    Participant

I have numbness around scar. I have had 3 surgeries on my right cheek with a good chunk of flesh missing. Do you find yourself rubbing into the scar due to the numbness? I do it all the time and my face gets sore and even more numb. I don't think it's an issue unless you notice any changes in terms of coloration, bumps etc… My surgeon said you can have scar tissue and nerve stuff going on for a few years after surgery.

Josh

michelle wiggins
                                                        Participant

Yes, I always rub my scar.  It is still quite painful, even though it will be a year in February!  I have not noticed any changes, and I am constantly doing self checks…so far, so good!!  I couldn't understand what my doctor told me about recurrence.  I couldn't tell if he said I have a 45% chance of recurrence, or a 4-5% chance.  After reading your profile that said a 6% chance, I am assuming it was the 4-5% chance that he said!!  My leg still swells every night, and I think that I am just going to have chronic lymphandema from the lymph node biopsy.  I'm not complaining though, that is a small price to pay for what could have ended up being much worse!!!

michelle wiggins
                                                          Participant

Yes, I always rub my scar.  It is still quite painful, even though it will be a year in February!  I have not noticed any changes, and I am constantly doing self checks…so far, so good!!  I couldn't understand what my doctor told me about recurrence.  I couldn't tell if he said I have a 45% chance of recurrence, or a 4-5% chance.  After reading your profile that said a 6% chance, I am assuming it was the 4-5% chance that he said!!  My leg still swells every night, and I think that I am just going to have chronic lymphandema from the lymph node biopsy.  I'm not complaining though, that is a small price to pay for what could have ended up being much worse!!!

michelle wiggins
                                                            Participant

JoshF
                                                            Participant

Josh

KMick
                                                              Participant

My thigh below the incision for my SLNB still feels weird which I suppose you could call numb.  The scar is about 4 inches long and and it's been nearly 2 years since my surgery.  It actually hurt for several weeks, now it just has an odd sensation.  I too was diagnosed ultimately stage 2A.

KMick
                                                                Participant

My thigh below the incision for my SLNB still feels weird which I suppose you could call numb.  The scar is about 4 inches long and and it's been nearly 2 years since my surgery.  It actually hurt for several weeks, now it just has an odd sensation.  I too was diagnosed ultimately stage 2A.

KMick
                                                                  Participant

KMick
                                                                    Participant

KMick
                                                                      Participant

KMick
                                                                        Participant

michelle wiggins
                                                                            Participant

Thanks for the comment!  I probably have the same feeling!  I call it numb, because ultimately, it is numb, but it is actually a very odd sensation that I cannot describe.  It also tends to STILL hurt!  CRAZY!  And, my groin still has a golf ball like fluid filled sac that never went away.. I had it drained 4 times in the beginning, and my primary doc said the rest should go away on its own.  It still hasn't.  At my last Cancer Center check-up, back in August, the doctor said (about my lymph node that still feels like a golf ball) "hmmm…that's not good" and I said…"Is it bad?"  and he said…"no, it's not bad, but it's not good either!"  What the heck does that mean!  I think I am going to be one of those people who have chronic lymphandema (swelling), probably for the rest of my life.  It's not too bad, I wear support knee highs, and it's certainly better than the alternative!!

michelle wiggins
                                                                              Participant

Thanks for the comment!  I probably have the same feeling!  I call it numb, because ultimately, it is numb, but it is actually a very odd sensation that I cannot describe.  It also tends to STILL hurt!  CRAZY!  And, my groin still has a golf ball like fluid filled sac that never went away.. I had it drained 4 times in the beginning, and my primary doc said the rest should go away on its own.  It still hasn't.  At my last Cancer Center check-up, back in August, the doctor said (about my lymph node that still feels like a golf ball) "hmmm…that's not good" and I said…"Is it bad?"  and he said…"no, it's not bad, but it's not good either!"  What the heck does that mean!  I think I am going to be one of those people who have chronic lymphandema (swelling), probably for the rest of my life.  It's not too bad, I wear support knee highs, and it's certainly better than the alternative!!

michelle wiggins
                                                                                Participant

AshleyRosa
                                                                                Participant

I have a scar on my leg after a surgery and was looking for a remedy for it. Started using dermalmd scar serum and after 2 weeks I can see a good result. Every morning and evening first of all I wash and dry the area and massage the cream thoroughly onto the scar. It became a bit lighter and less puffy. Hope to have better result after longer use.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics