The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NRAS Positive and Molecular Targeted Therapy

Forums General Melanoma Community NRAS Positive and Molecular Targeted Therapy

Participant

My significant other has Stage IV melanoma which moved from the original location (his back) to his stomach.  The melanoma has only traveled to his stomach and has not metastisized to other areas.  He has been on an Opdivo and Yervoy regimen since April (he has gone through 5 rounds).  A PET scan was done a week ago which revealed there has been no improvement, so we need to look at other options for treatment.  He is NRAS positive and the oncologist recommends putting him on molecular targeted therapy, specifically a combination of Binimetinib and Trametinib.  This has been quite a week with this news, but we are trying to hang in there.  

Has anyone who is NRAS positive gone through targeted therapy?  

Thank you. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cathy M
        Participant
          My husband was diagnosed Stage IV in November 2013 lung. Using a lung nodule, they ran the specimen through Intermountain Precision Genomics and found he had NRAS mutation with the drug match, Mekinist, single agent. This held him for 9 months begore moving on to single agent Keytruda.

I’ve heard of bini but no experience so maybe others will be able to share more targeted experiences with you.

Best wishes to both of you! Cathy

Cathy M
          Participant
            My husband was diagnosed Stage IV in November 2013 lung. Using a lung nodule, they ran the specimen through Intermountain Precision Genomics and found he had NRAS mutation with the drug match, Mekinist, single agent. This held him for 9 months begore moving on to single agent Keytruda.

I’ve heard of bini but no experience so maybe others will be able to share more targeted experiences with you.

Cathy M
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

A tumor sample of mine tested positive for NRAS. It was the "G12A" NRAS mutation. I understand there are a few different ones considered to be significant. I have not gone through a targeted therapy. I almost got into a trial combining Mekinist with an anti-PD-L1 drug a couple of years ago but I ended up in a different trial instead.

Does lack of improvement mean the tumor(s) are stable — not shrinking but not growing ? Or has their growth been unaffected by the combo?

sallyandree
                  Participant

Thank you for your post, my understanding is that the tumor is growing.  Having said that, his oncologist said that the Yervoy/Opdivo treatments may have had benefit because he was initially very anemic, experienced bleeding, and had to have blood transfusions and after taking the Yervoy/Opdivo regimen had thereafter not experienced bleeding and he was no longer anemic.  However, I took him in a couple of weeks ago for a blood draw and he ended up losing consciousness at the doctor's office and having to be admitted to the hospital a couple of days and having another blood transfusion.  So for several months between the transfusions, although the regimen was brutal and he lost a lot of weight, no blood loss/anemia.  

Since my significant other has gone through the Yervoy/Opdivo treatments, we were told he will be a good candidate for the targeted therapy.  

kylez
                    Participant

I hope there's a good treatment for your significan other to try next. I'm sorry he's dealing with so much. Clinical trials can take longer to enroll in than one would hope, but might be a good option to consider.

One clinical trial out there for NRAS combines MEK162 with LEE011. MEK162, also called bimentinib, is a MEK inhibitor, not yet approved, and maybe newer than Mekinist. LEE011 is a CDK4/6 inhibitor. Don't know what that means but apparently it had good enough results in a trial for another cancer type they stopped the trial early. I like the idea of a combo trial – I picked one – because it tries to hit from two completely different directions. I don't see anything else on the clinical trials web site but that was a quick look. There is a clinical trial finder service provided by the MRF you could try — they found trials I missed when I tried it.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01781572

https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment/find-a-clinical-trial

http://www.arraybiopharma.com/product-pipeline/binimetinib/

https://www.novartis.com/news/media-releases/monaleesa-2-trial-novartis-lee011-ribociclib-stopped-due-positive-efficacy

kylez
                      Participant

I hope there's a good treatment for your significan other to try next. I'm sorry he's dealing with so much. Clinical trials can take longer to enroll in than one would hope, but might be a good option to consider.

One clinical trial out there for NRAS combines MEK162 with LEE011. MEK162, also called bimentinib, is a MEK inhibitor, not yet approved, and maybe newer than Mekinist. LEE011 is a CDK4/6 inhibitor. Don't know what that means but apparently it had good enough results in a trial for another cancer type they stopped the trial early. I like the idea of a combo trial – I picked one – because it tries to hit from two completely different directions. I don't see anything else on the clinical trials web site but that was a quick look. There is a clinical trial finder service provided by the MRF you could try — they found trials I missed when I tried it.

https://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment/find-a-clinical-trial

https://www.novartis.com/news/media-releases/monaleesa-2-trial-novartis-lee011-ribociclib-stopped-due-positive-efficacy

kylez
                        Participant

sallyandree
                          Participant

Thank you for your post, my understanding is that the tumor is growing.  Having said that, his oncologist said that the Yervoy/Opdivo treatments may have had benefit because he was initially very anemic, experienced bleeding, and had to have blood transfusions and after taking the Yervoy/Opdivo regimen had thereafter not experienced bleeding and he was no longer anemic.  However, I took him in a couple of weeks ago for a blood draw and he ended up losing consciousness at the doctor's office and having to be admitted to the hospital a couple of days and having another blood transfusion.  So for several months between the transfusions, although the regimen was brutal and he lost a lot of weight, no blood loss/anemia.  

Since my significant other has gone through the Yervoy/Opdivo treatments, we were told he will be a good candidate for the targeted therapy.  

sallyandree
                            Participant

kylez
                            Participant

A tumor sample of mine tested positive for NRAS. It was the "G12A" NRAS mutation. I understand there are a few different ones considered to be significant. I have not gone through a targeted therapy. I almost got into a trial combining Mekinist with an anti-PD-L1 drug a couple of years ago but I ended up in a different trial instead.

Does lack of improvement mean the tumor(s) are stable — not shrinking but not growing ? Or has their growth been unaffected by the combo?

kylez
                              Participant

AshleyS
                                Participant

Hi Sally and Dree,

I am NRAS positive but have (so far) had luck with the ipi/nivo combo. However, I attended the Immunotherapy in Melanoma symposium put on my MRF a couple of weeks ago. The researcher who presented, Dr. Eduardo Davila, stated that the newest hope in the melanoma world is combining immunotherapy with molecular therapy. Are there any combos out there? Trials?

Best of luck,

Ashley 

[email protected]
                                    Participant

Hello Ashley,

My wife has stage iv and we just learned that she tested for the NRAS mutation. Previously, we were unsure and at the same time the combo of Ipi+Nivo was really working. She went from a high tumor burden to now having only two tumors and doing very well. 

I was wondering how you were doing with your treatment and if you had any other learnings or information about the NRAS side of things? 

[email protected]
                                      Participant

Hello Ashley,

My wife has stage iv and we just learned that she tested for the NRAS mutation. Previously, we were unsure and at the same time the combo of Ipi+Nivo was really working. She went from a high tumor burden to now having only two tumors and doing very well. 

I was wondering how you were doing with your treatment and if you had any other learnings or information about the NRAS side of things? 

[email protected]
                                        Participant

Hello Ashley,

AshleyS
                                        Participant

Hi Sally and Dree,

I am NRAS positive but have (so far) had luck with the ipi/nivo combo. However, I attended the Immunotherapy in Melanoma symposium put on my MRF a couple of weeks ago. The researcher who presented, Dr. Eduardo Davila, stated that the newest hope in the melanoma world is combining immunotherapy with molecular therapy. Are there any combos out there? Trials?

Best of luck,

Ashley 

AshleyS
                                          Participant

Hi Sally and Dree,

Best of luck,

Ashley 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics