The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NRAS mutant gener

Forums General Melanoma Community NRAS mutant gener

Participant

My husband has metastisized melanoma.  They tested him for the BRAF gene, but he was negative for that.  However, he was positive for the NRAS gene.

Does anyone have any information about that gene?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

About 20% of melanomas have an NRAS mutation. Strategies for targeting that gene are not as far along as are strategies for the BRAF mutation.  Some trials for NRAS mutations are now beginning to open, however, so some options should be available.  You can use the MRF's clinical trials finder to look for trials, or call the toll-free number associated with that program and ask for some help.  

You can also go to clinicaltrials.gov and search for NRAS and melanoma.  You will find three or four trials open, each with a different strategy.  The basic approach is to use a MEK inhibitor, or a MEK inhibitor in combination with another inhibitor–either CDK or AKT.  I know this sounds like alphabet soup, but the basic concept is this.  Researchers have not found a way to block NRAS, so they are trying to block other steps before or after activation of NRAS.

In evaluating any trial, you should look carefully at the control arm and be sure it reflects good standard of care. Or, if not, the trial design should allow for crossover. This means that if you are on one arm of the trial and don't respond you can switch to the other arm of the trial.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

About 20% of melanomas have an NRAS mutation. Strategies for targeting that gene are not as far along as are strategies for the BRAF mutation.  Some trials for NRAS mutations are now beginning to open, however, so some options should be available.  You can use the MRF's clinical trials finder to look for trials, or call the toll-free number associated with that program and ask for some help.  

You can also go to clinicaltrials.gov and search for NRAS and melanoma.  You will find three or four trials open, each with a different strategy.  The basic approach is to use a MEK inhibitor, or a MEK inhibitor in combination with another inhibitor–either CDK or AKT.  I know this sounds like alphabet soup, but the basic concept is this.  Researchers have not found a way to block NRAS, so they are trying to block other steps before or after activation of NRAS.

In evaluating any trial, you should look carefully at the control arm and be sure it reflects good standard of care. Or, if not, the trial design should allow for crossover. This means that if you are on one arm of the trial and don't respond you can switch to the other arm of the trial.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

joy_
                Participant

Tim,

Would this mean that a person who is both BRAF and NRAS positive would benefit more from the combination of mekinist and tafinlar than someone who is one or the other?

My husband is starting tx today for LMD but he also has body tumors to deal with. Doctor plans to start him on Tafinlar but hasn't decided about Mekinist.  I am glad to see this post because it gives uus something else to think about!

Thanks!

joy_
                  Participant

Tim,

Would this mean that a person who is both BRAF and NRAS positive would benefit more from the combination of mekinist and tafinlar than someone who is one or the other?

My husband is starting tx today for LMD but he also has body tumors to deal with. Doctor plans to start him on Tafinlar but hasn't decided about Mekinist.  I am glad to see this post because it gives uus something else to think about!

Thanks!

joy_
                    Participant

Tim,

Thanks!

eric w
                    Participant

May want to look at this as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3241890/

eric w
                      Participant

eric w
                        Participant

BrianP
                          Participant

Toward the bottom of this thread there is some interesting information for new treatments/trials for NRAS/Braf (-) patients.

http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34877

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Toward the bottom of this thread there is some interesting information for new treatments/trials for NRAS/Braf (-) patients.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Brian

DUSTILANE
                                Participant

My husband cannot do one of the treatments listed in that article due to bad heart condition. He is doing the IPI treatment.  He has taken 2 treatments so far.  The next one is due 03/25/14

DUSTILANE
                                  Participant

My husband cannot do one of the treatments listed in that article due to bad heart condition. He is doing the IPI treatment.  He has taken 2 treatments so far.  The next one is due 03/25/14

odonoghue80
                                      Participant

I saw the article about NRAS gene bad responding better to IL-2. Is there any more information about this? Any studies with IL-2 for BRAF positive people? Just curious. I've brought this gene markers for IL-2 but they haven't been inclined to speak of it.

Thanks,

Shane  

odonoghue80
                                        Participant

I saw the article about NRAS gene bad responding better to IL-2. Is there any more information about this? Any studies with IL-2 for BRAF positive people? Just curious. I've brought this gene markers for IL-2 but they haven't been inclined to speak of it.

Thanks,

Shane  

odonoghue80
                                          Participant

Thanks,

Shane  

DUSTILANE
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

IL-2 is the only approved Treatment that has been shown to have a high response rate against NRAS melanomas.  I have not seen any  data as to how effective the other the other immunotherapies are supposed to be against the NRAS.  As Tim mentioned, they have not developed a targeted treatment to interrupt the ssignaling path for the NRAS.

JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant

IL-2 is the only approved Treatment that has been shown to have a high response rate against NRAS melanomas.  I have not seen any  data as to how effective the other the other immunotherapies are supposed to be against the NRAS.  As Tim mentioned, they have not developed a targeted treatment to interrupt the ssignaling path for the NRAS.

JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics