The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Now he’s on a catheter…

Forums General Melanoma Community Now he’s on a catheter…

Participant

Just got back from the cancer centre where Pete was fitted with a catheter that was necessitated by the fact that he can no longer urinate.  They believe it's due to the brain mets.  Just waiting for this liver inflammation to go down so that he can get back on the Ipi.  Homecare is coming tonight to show us how to manage the catheter at home.  Honestly, between his cane and now the catheter, my 56 years old husband is like an old man—breaks my heart.

Yasmin

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

I'm sorry, Yasmin.  There's really nothing to say except this stinks.

casagrayson
          Participant

casagrayson
            Participant

AnitaLoree
              Participant

Yasmin, I know how painful and sad it  is to see your husband in this state.  My husband too, was robust going into his surgery and it just pulled the rug out from under him.  Didn't expect him to make it out of ICU—but he did & I credit the great condition he was in before.  So am hoping your husband too has previous good health on his side plus your good care.  My husband is on Keytruda (Merck's PD-1) with tolerable side effects, no abn'l labs. PD-1s are much more tolerable and +results show sooner if they are going to work. He should not have to con't on ipi. Others have been switched to PD-1 when they get organ reaction requiring going on med hold. Wishing you both strength and courage at this very tough point.  A.L.

ed williams
                  Participant

Hi AnitaLoree, I am not sure if we have the same options in Canada at this point as in the States about access to Pd-1. I haven't heard if Canadian patients can get access unless via clinical trial. If I am wrong some one please correct me on this point. Health Canada tends to follow slowly drug changes made in the States. Wishing Yasmin and Pete the best. ED

Nadia
                    Participant

Both Keytruda and Opdivo are available in Canada as SAP (special access program), but I'm not sure what provinces offer this program.  We are in Alberta, and my husband failed ipi and Braf. meds. I am sure it is offered in Ontario and BC, I don't know about the rest of provinces, but there must be agreements in place, since there are patients from Saskatchewan getting treatment in Alberta.

Nadia
                      Participant

Both Keytruda and Opdivo are available in Canada as SAP (special access program), but I'm not sure what provinces offer this program.  We are in Alberta, and my husband failed ipi and Braf. meds. I am sure it is offered in Ontario and BC, I don't know about the rest of provinces, but there must be agreements in place, since there are patients from Saskatchewan getting treatment in Alberta.

Nadia
                        Participant

ed williams
                          Participant

Hi AnitaLoree, I am not sure if we have the same options in Canada at this point as in the States about access to Pd-1. I haven't heard if Canadian patients can get access unless via clinical trial. If I am wrong some one please correct me on this point. Health Canada tends to follow slowly drug changes made in the States. Wishing Yasmin and Pete the best. ED

ed williams
                            Participant

AnitaLoree
                            Participant

Yasmin, I know how painful and sad it  is to see your husband in this state.  My husband too, was robust going into his surgery and it just pulled the rug out from under him.  Didn't expect him to make it out of ICU—but he did & I credit the great condition he was in before.  So am hoping your husband too has previous good health on his side plus your good care.  My husband is on Keytruda (Merck's PD-1) with tolerable side effects, no abn'l labs. PD-1s are much more tolerable and +results show sooner if they are going to work. He should not have to con't on ipi. Others have been switched to PD-1 when they get organ reaction requiring going on med hold. Wishing you both strength and courage at this very tough point.  A.L.

AnitaLoree
                              Participant

Bubbles
                                Participant

Hey Yasmin,

Just wanted you to know I've read both your threads. I am thinking of you and your husband and wishing you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Yasmin,

Just wanted you to know I've read both your threads. I am thinking of you and your husband and wishing you my best. Celeste

Maureen038
                                      Participant

Yasmin,

As a caregiver myself, I'm thinking of you and sending you virtual hugs and many prayers. Please don't forget to take care of yourself too. I truly hope things get better. Take care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                        Participant

Yasmin,

As a caregiver myself, I'm thinking of you and sending you virtual hugs and many prayers. Please don't forget to take care of yourself too. I truly hope things get better. Take care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                          Participant

Yasmin,

Maureen

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Hey Yasmin,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics