The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Not numbness, but severe pain in extremities?

Forums General Melanoma Community Not numbness, but severe pain in extremities?

Participant
      So I think that some numbness and weakness in hands and feet is pretty common with both nivo and ipi. Wondering if anyone – other than myself – has had it go beyond that to significant pain? Up until a few weeks ago, my melanoma hadn’t had any substantial impact on my physical abilities. I started to notice a little numbness in the feet, and then almost overnight, it exploded into severe pain in the legs, mostly in the calf muscles on both legs, along with numbness in the feet. It was like having a charley horse in both calves, but it never went away. Especially bad at night, which caused me to go 4-5 nights with truly almost zero sleep. Finally had to call the doctor, and they initially gave me some pain killer that did nothing, and then a combo of oxycodone, gabapentin and steroids, which eventually got it under control. Eventually the pain in the muscles went away, but now it has moved just to the feet and toes. Still very painful, but not quite as bad. Only doing the gabapentin and over the counter to control the pain. Kind of shuffling around now. Anyway, still haven’t identified a cause, be it adverse reaction to treatments or spread of mel somewhere or something else. Just wondering if anyone else has had something similar.

By the way, I mentioned in another post that I had a gamma knife recently. They specifically said that they didn’t believe the two were related, because the area of the brain where I had the gamma knife has nothing to do with my legs. They said it was near and area involved in vision.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics