The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Not in situ.. Pt1a

Forums General Melanoma Community Not in situ.. Pt1a

Participant

So I got a copy of my path report in the mail today from March 30th of this year.. I had a mole removed from my upper arm and was told by the girl who assisted my rude non communicative Doctor that it was a stage zero meaning in situ.. The rude Doctor then sent me for a pet scan on April 30 because I had the nerve to keep asking questions.. Anxiety and all that.. Pet was clear.. I've had 3 more WLEs since for dysplastic nevi and apparently I'm done until November.. Seeing this report tho has me worried again.. I won't type the whole thing but Breslow thickness .40 mm.. Mitosis less that 1 per mm squared.. Regression present.. Ulceration not identified.. Can someone help me put this new info in perspective? I'm 41 and have a 5 month old baby to worry about.. Thank you

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas in Queensland, Australia.

Available clinical and histologic data from the Queensland Cancer Registry were obtained for all patients diagnosed with a single thin invasive melanoma from 1982 to 2006 and matched against national death registration data. Melanoma-specific survival estimates to December 31, 2007, were assessed, and subgroup differences in prognosis were determined by fitting multivariate Cox proportional hazard models.

RESULTS: Among 26,736 people in the state of Queensland diagnosed with thin melanomas, the 20-year survival was 96%

JC
          Participant

Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas in Queensland, Australia.

Available clinical and histologic data from the Queensland Cancer Registry were obtained for all patients diagnosed with a single thin invasive melanoma from 1982 to 2006 and matched against national death registration data. Melanoma-specific survival estimates to December 31, 2007, were assessed, and subgroup differences in prognosis were determined by fitting multivariate Cox proportional hazard models.

RESULTS: Among 26,736 people in the state of Queensland diagnosed with thin melanomas, the 20-year survival was 96%

Aubreesmommy41
              Participant

Thank you for this.. Definitely reassuring

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

A
                  Participant

I would double chcek your WLE margins because for in situ they should take out  0.5 cm, while for Stage 1 it would be 1 cm of skin. Make sure that they took 1 cm because if not, you may need re-excision.

A
                    Participant

I would double chcek your WLE margins because for in situ they should take out  0.5 cm, while for Stage 1 it would be 1 cm of skin. Make sure that they took 1 cm because if not, you may need re-excision.

A
                      Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

Please forgive my dumb ? But how big is 1 cm? This scar is pretty big.. Much bigger than the ones for the dysplastic Nevis 

Aubreesmommy41
                          Participant

Please forgive my dumb ? But how big is 1 cm? This scar is pretty big.. Much bigger than the ones for the dysplastic Nevis 

Aubreesmommy41
                            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                              Participant

JC
                              Participant

stars
                                Participant

Firstly, good on you for pushing this and insisting on a copy of this report. You probably will never need it again, but at least now you have it for future reference. A stage 0/in situ melanoma is best case scenario, but a 0.4mm stage 1A melanoma is the next best thing. Thin, not aggressive/no aggressive features, very low chance of metastases. There's a very high chance you'll never be bothered by melanoma again, but of course vigilance is key. I think for stage 1A you are looking at six-monthly full skin checks only – nothing more. Oh, and the WLE for a stage 1 melanoma is 1cm margin, no the 0.5cm margin for an in situ. My only action in your situation would be to a) find a new doctor as yours sounds like an idiot b) make sure he/she did the 1cm margin and if not – unpleasant as it is – take yourself back in to a NEW doctor and insist on completion of 1cm margins if that is possible c) go for those six monthly skin checks (or annual may be enough – depends on where you live and what the 'rules' are). Oh, and enjoy your gorgeous little bubba!

Aubreesmommy41
                                    Participant

Thank you for your help.. The melanoma is actually .40 mm does that still mean thin? And regression is present and from my insane googling I've gathered that is a bad thing? Yes I emailed another dermatologist in a large city close to me and I'm waiting on an appointment.. It's all so scary and I have a lot of moles.. Surprisingly I'm not hysterical just pissed off they led me to believe it wasn't as serious as it was and they are so unwillingly to answer any questions. 

Aubreesmommy41
                                      Participant

Thank you for your help.. The melanoma is actually .40 mm does that still mean thin? And regression is present and from my insane googling I've gathered that is a bad thing? Yes I emailed another dermatologist in a large city close to me and I'm waiting on an appointment.. It's all so scary and I have a lot of moles.. Surprisingly I'm not hysterical just pissed off they led me to believe it wasn't as serious as it was and they are so unwillingly to answer any questions. 

Aubreesmommy41
                                        Participant

stars
                                          Participant

Yes, very thin. 0.4mm is thin. Regression: the jury is out on this. Some say 'bad' because it means the melanoma may have at some stage been deeper but 'eaten' back by your immune system, some say 'good' because you have a strong immune response to your melanoma. I've read up on regression a bit and I've come to the conclusion it's either neutral or good. Having a lot of moles is no problem. You are going to be getting regular skin checks whether you've gone one mole or one thousand. What you need to look for is change – anything new or changing. Forget about all those moles just sitting there like they have done for years and years, not changing, not evolving. You are only looking for change. I like your pissed off attitude – it's given you the truth you needed (stage 1a) and you have the guts to show that doctor the door. You go, girl! On with life, that is. Not twisting yourself up in knots over melanoma. You are a low-risk patient with an excellent prognosis. Enjoy. Baby. Now. Don't spend chunks of the first year of baby's life worrying about this!

stars
                                            Participant

Yes, very thin. 0.4mm is thin. Regression: the jury is out on this. Some say 'bad' because it means the melanoma may have at some stage been deeper but 'eaten' back by your immune system, some say 'good' because you have a strong immune response to your melanoma. I've read up on regression a bit and I've come to the conclusion it's either neutral or good. Having a lot of moles is no problem. You are going to be getting regular skin checks whether you've gone one mole or one thousand. What you need to look for is change – anything new or changing. Forget about all those moles just sitting there like they have done for years and years, not changing, not evolving. You are only looking for change. I like your pissed off attitude – it's given you the truth you needed (stage 1a) and you have the guts to show that doctor the door. You go, girl! On with life, that is. Not twisting yourself up in knots over melanoma. You are a low-risk patient with an excellent prognosis. Enjoy. Baby. Now. Don't spend chunks of the first year of baby's life worrying about this!

stars
                                              Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                Participant

Thank you for the encouragement.. I am spending her first year worried sick lol.. I'm praying for peace and for the right things to do.. And this dr is good the best supposedly around here but so rude and they told me nothing other than the margins are clear and all good.. O and the pet scan good.. Ugh

Aubreesmommy41
                                                  Participant

Thank you for the encouragement.. I am spending her first year worried sick lol.. I'm praying for peace and for the right things to do.. And this dr is good the best supposedly around here but so rude and they told me nothing other than the margins are clear and all good.. O and the pet scan good.. Ugh

Aubreesmommy41
                                                    Participant

stars
                                                    Participant

Firstly, good on you for pushing this and insisting on a copy of this report. You probably will never need it again, but at least now you have it for future reference. A stage 0/in situ melanoma is best case scenario, but a 0.4mm stage 1A melanoma is the next best thing. Thin, not aggressive/no aggressive features, very low chance of metastases. There's a very high chance you'll never be bothered by melanoma again, but of course vigilance is key. I think for stage 1A you are looking at six-monthly full skin checks only – nothing more. Oh, and the WLE for a stage 1 melanoma is 1cm margin, no the 0.5cm margin for an in situ. My only action in your situation would be to a) find a new doctor as yours sounds like an idiot b) make sure he/she did the 1cm margin and if not – unpleasant as it is – take yourself back in to a NEW doctor and insist on completion of 1cm margins if that is possible c) go for those six monthly skin checks (or annual may be enough – depends on where you live and what the 'rules' are). Oh, and enjoy your gorgeous little bubba!

stars
                                                      Participant

geriakt
                                                        Participant

The very first thing I would do is get a new Dr. One who cares about your Heath and well being. Why did it take that long to get path results? I had mine in 2 days from my dermatologist 

geriakt
                                                          Participant

The very first thing I would do is get a new Dr. One who cares about your Heath and well being. Why did it take that long to get path results? I had mine in 2 days from my dermatologist 

Aubreesmommy41
                                                              Participant

I didn't ask because I was trying to trust what they told me.. Plus they act like you are asking for their PIN number or social if you ask anything at all like how dare you? Im going to go to someone else soon as I can get an appt..

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                Participant

I didn't ask because I was trying to trust what they told me.. Plus they act like you are asking for their PIN number or social if you ask anything at all like how dare you? Im going to go to someone else soon as I can get an appt..

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                  Participant

geriakt
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics