The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Not eligible for anti-PD1

Forums General Melanoma Community Not eligible for anti-PD1

Participant

I got my HLA test results today and I am negative.  Not eligible for the anti-PD1 trial at Moffitt.  I was really depressed for several hours until someone I love pointed out that because I am now NED after the surgery, perhaps God felt that there was someone else in greater need of one of the five open trial slots. I'm sure that Moffitt will come up with another adjuvant treatment for me. 

I got my HLA test results today and I am negative.  Not eligible for the anti-PD1 trial at Moffitt.  I was really depressed for several hours until someone I love pointed out that because I am now NED after the surgery, perhaps God felt that there was someone else in greater need of one of the five open trial slots. I'm sure that Moffitt will come up with another adjuvant treatment for me. 

This stage IV melanoma stuff really has it's ups and downs, a real roller coaster ride!  Does it ever get any easier or more certain or do I need to live every moment in fear?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I am in that trial and am very sorry that things did not work out for you. I hope you realize that your HLA typing was needed only because of the vaccine component….not for the anti-PD1 itself. I know that does you no good at this moment…but it does mean that there may be other anti-PD1 trials that you DO qualify for. Hang in there. I can’t honestly say that “it gets any easier” but you absolutely should NOT live every moment in fear! I am now 9 years post melanoma diagnosis, Stage IV melanoma for 35 months, and NED for more than 21 months. Live every day with as much joy and enthusiasm as possible. It’s not always easy, but NONE of us really knows what’s around the corner. Do we? Wishing you the very best, celeste.
          Bubbles
          Participant
            I am in that trial and am very sorry that things did not work out for you. I hope you realize that your HLA typing was needed only because of the vaccine component….not for the anti-PD1 itself. I know that does you no good at this moment…but it does mean that there may be other anti-PD1 trials that you DO qualify for. Hang in there. I can’t honestly say that “it gets any easier” but you absolutely should NOT live every moment in fear! I am now 9 years post melanoma diagnosis, Stage IV melanoma for 35 months, and NED for more than 21 months. Live every day with as much joy and enthusiasm as possible. It’s not always easy, but NONE of us really knows what’s around the corner. Do we? Wishing you the very best, celeste.
            Bubbles
            Participant
              alankravitz
              Participant

I was in the Ib trial and was quick to respond at the lowest dosage in the trial.  I attempted to get Bristol-Meyers Squibb to put me on some kind of maintenance program beyond the two year duration of the trial: they rejected my request.  They had not provided for any maintenance therapy in the design of the trial and were concerned about the impact on progression-free and overall survival data. A subsequent trial did allow extended treatment for responders. They have also allowed reinduction for prior trial participants whose disease has progressed. I hope that they will consider the possibility of  a trial to look at a maintenance protocal: it seems to make financial sense. Given the recent history of the rejection of  expensive new  cancer drugs by national cost-effectiveness bodies, one must hope that when BMS is finally able to market anti-PD-1 it will establish a pricing structure that allows broad access around the world. Failure to do so will call into question the existing relationship between the public and private sectors  in pharmaceutical sector.

LynnLuc
                  Participant

Alan! It's great to hear you are NED!

Darn…I am also in the trial at Moffitt…

Phase I Study of Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 (BMS-936558) and Vaccine Therapy Comprising gp100:209-217(210M) Peptide, MART-1:26-35(27L) Peptide, gp100:280-288(288V) Peptide, NY-ESO-1 Peptide, and Montanide ISA 51 VG in Patients With Resected Stage IV Melanoma

I have 2 more left in the booster phase ( 6 months left) and still hoping I can get extended. I have been Stage IV  and NED for nearly 2  1/2 years! I just had my last scans a week ago so I am good!  I mentioned continuing it after the trial and was given the impression that its being discussed…who knows.I am thankful for NED. Maybe it was enough to keep our immune system rev'ed up to kill off the cells floating around.

I can understand the extention in the sister trial due to  having active melanoma that continues to shrink and remain stable in other cases. Chances are it will cost just as much or more than Yervoy…It won't even get into phase 2 trials for awhile and even if it skips the 3rd phase it will be at least another 1 -2 years to get the results and submit it to the FDA…

LynnLuc
                    Participant

Phase I Study of Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 (BMS-936558) and Vaccine Therapy Comprising gp100:209-217(210M) Peptide, MART-1:26-35(27L) Peptide, gp100:280-288(288V) Peptide, NY-ESO-1 Peptide, and Montanide ISA 51 VG in Patients With Resected Stage IV Melanoma

I have 2 more left in the booster phase ( 6 months left) and still hoping I can get extended. I have been Stage IV  and NED for nearly 2  1/2 years! I just had my last scans a week ago so I am good!  I mentioned continuing it after the trial and was given the impression that its being discussed…who knows.I am thankful for NED. Maybe it was enough to keep our immune system rev'ed up to kill off the cells floating around.

I can understand the extention in the sister trial due to  having active melanoma that continues to shrink and remain stable in other cases. Chances are it will cost just as much or more than Yervoy…It won't even get into phase 2 trials for awhile and even if it skips the 3rd phase it will be at least another 1 -2 years to get the results and submit it to the FDA…

LynnLuc
                      Participant

alankravitz
                      Participant

I was in the Ib trial and was quick to respond at the lowest dosage in the trial.  I attempted to get Bristol-Meyers Squibb to put me on some kind of maintenance program beyond the two year duration of the trial: they rejected my request.  They had not provided for any maintenance therapy in the design of the trial and were concerned about the impact on progression-free and overall survival data. A subsequent trial did allow extended treatment for responders. They have also allowed reinduction for prior trial participants whose disease has progressed. I hope that they will consider the possibility of  a trial to look at a maintenance protocal: it seems to make financial sense. Given the recent history of the rejection of  expensive new  cancer drugs by national cost-effectiveness bodies, one must hope that when BMS is finally able to market anti-PD-1 it will establish a pricing structure that allows broad access around the world. Failure to do so will call into question the existing relationship between the public and private sectors  in pharmaceutical sector.

alankravitz
                        Participant

POW
                          Participant

I am sorry that you didin't qualify for the PD-1 traial at Moffitt. But as Bubbles said, since the HLA typing only has to do with the non-PD-1 arm of the trial, the PD-1 itself might work for you if and when it is approved. There are so many promising new treatments in the pipeline. We all just hope they will hurry up about it!

Your comment about the roller coaster of emotions and the uncertainty of a Stage IV diagnosis helps me a lot. Thank you.

It's hard enough for me as a caregiver to deal with the medical and emotional complexities; I can't imagine what it must be like for the patient. I think that the most important thing I have gained from this forum is some small understanding of how so many of you folks are able to carry on and even thrive. I see people who somehow manage to get their head around the idea that there is not (yet) any cure for this disease, but it's not a death sentence, either. They somehow learn to view melanoma as a chronic disease that waxes and wanes and evolves. It has to be managed, just like chronic kidney failure or cardiac problems. A surgery here resolves some symptoms and results in several more months (years?) of good life. A new medication there resolves other symptoms and results in several more months (years?) of good life. And the next thing you know, someone who was originally given less than a year to live is NED for 3 or 4 years and is planning to dance at their daughter's wedding.  No, not everyone has such a good outcome. But there are enough success stories here on the forum to really inspire me to keep trying to get the best care I can for my loved one for as long as he wants me to. It ain't over until it's over.

POW
                            Participant

I am sorry that you didin't qualify for the PD-1 traial at Moffitt. But as Bubbles said, since the HLA typing only has to do with the non-PD-1 arm of the trial, the PD-1 itself might work for you if and when it is approved. There are so many promising new treatments in the pipeline. We all just hope they will hurry up about it!

Your comment about the roller coaster of emotions and the uncertainty of a Stage IV diagnosis helps me a lot. Thank you.

It's hard enough for me as a caregiver to deal with the medical and emotional complexities; I can't imagine what it must be like for the patient. I think that the most important thing I have gained from this forum is some small understanding of how so many of you folks are able to carry on and even thrive. I see people who somehow manage to get their head around the idea that there is not (yet) any cure for this disease, but it's not a death sentence, either. They somehow learn to view melanoma as a chronic disease that waxes and wanes and evolves. It has to be managed, just like chronic kidney failure or cardiac problems. A surgery here resolves some symptoms and results in several more months (years?) of good life. A new medication there resolves other symptoms and results in several more months (years?) of good life. And the next thing you know, someone who was originally given less than a year to live is NED for 3 or 4 years and is planning to dance at their daughter's wedding.  No, not everyone has such a good outcome. But there are enough success stories here on the forum to really inspire me to keep trying to get the best care I can for my loved one for as long as he wants me to. It ain't over until it's over.

POW
                              Participant

Bubbles
                                Participant
                                  Just another thought for you, Frank. If you check my blog you will find a list of at least some of the trials ongoing at Moffitt. I was told just last week that they are still recruiting for a trial with Merck’s anti-PD1 product. There are also arms of my trial that are not combining the BMS anti-PD1 product with vaccines. Both of these options should negate the need for particular HLA typing. Of course, I do not know the particulars of your case, nor do I know what slots remain available and what you are interested in. But, I wish you a beautiful weekend. Yours, c
                                  Bubbles
                                  Participant
                                    Just another thought for you, Frank. If you check my blog you will find a list of at least some of the trials ongoing at Moffitt. I was told just last week that they are still recruiting for a trial with Merck’s anti-PD1 product. There are also arms of my trial that are not combining the BMS anti-PD1 product with vaccines. Both of these options should negate the need for particular HLA typing. Of course, I do not know the particulars of your case, nor do I know what slots remain available and what you are interested in. But, I wish you a beautiful weekend. Yours, c
                                    Bubbles
                                    Participant
                                      audgator
                                      Participant

Hi Frank,   I am in a non-vaccine arm of the trial at Moffitt and I am not NED.  I do not live in fear. What the hell good would that do?  Be at peace knowing that there are many of us are getting better in trials teaching the researchers what works and what doesn't.  So if you do get a recurrence (slap my mouth for even thinking that!) you will get something that really helps.

Dan

audgator
                                        Participant

Hi Frank,   I am in a non-vaccine arm of the trial at Moffitt and I am not NED.  I do not live in fear. What the hell good would that do?  Be at peace knowing that there are many of us are getting better in trials teaching the researchers what works and what doesn't.  So if you do get a recurrence (slap my mouth for even thinking that!) you will get something that really helps.

Dan

frankMill
                                            Participant

Thanks everybody!  Your experience and knowledge is so valuable to me, I appreciate your advice.  I'm becoming a little more fearless and this forum has helped me so much.  It's only been a few weeks since my stage IV diagnosis and tumor removal but I've come to realize that I need to face this with courage and live everyday to it's fullest.  Played baseball with my big guy (grandson) today, it felt so good to laugh together and have some fun ๐Ÿ™‚ 

frankMill
                                              Participant

Thanks everybody!  Your experience and knowledge is so valuable to me, I appreciate your advice.  I'm becoming a little more fearless and this forum has helped me so much.  It's only been a few weeks since my stage IV diagnosis and tumor removal but I've come to realize that I need to face this with courage and live everyday to it's fullest.  Played baseball with my big guy (grandson) today, it felt so good to laugh together and have some fun ๐Ÿ™‚ 

frankMill
                                                Participant

audgator
                                                Participant

Dan

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics