The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Not a melanoma patient but would like to keep it that way.

Forums General Melanoma Community Not a melanoma patient but would like to keep it that way.

Participant

32 year old caucasian male with no family history of melanoma, but childhood history of allergy to the sun during summer of 86 and adult history of 2 severe sunburns while mountain hiking. I do burn easily and don't tan quickly,  less than 50 moles on my body, brown hair/eyes.

I was diagnosed with moderately atypical nevus on my shoulder that was excised with conservative margins.  Now i had one diagnosed on my cheek that came back as moderately atypical with focal severity.

Report  further says:

32 year old caucasian male with no family history of melanoma, but childhood history of allergy to the sun during summer of 86 and adult history of 2 severe sunburns while mountain hiking. I do burn easily and don't tan quickly,  less than 50 moles on my body, brown hair/eyes.

I was diagnosed with moderately atypical nevus on my shoulder that was excised with conservative margins.  Now i had one diagnosed on my cheek that came back as moderately atypical with focal severity.

Report  further says:

Comment: Initial and multiple levels were examined.  The biopsy shows a junctional melanocytic proliferation with marked confluence of atypical melanocytes at the dermo-epidermal junction.  While the apparent small size of the lesion would favor a diagnosis of dyplastic nevus, complete removal is recommanded for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.  This case was reviewed by Dr. Lisa H. Lerner who is in concurrence with above interpretation.

I have a feeling they are not 100% sure.  I already had it removed by my dermatologist.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

To me, it reads less like they aren't sure, but more like the sample size was very small and they can't make an interpretation for the entire lesion given the small sample they were reviewing.  You'll know more when you get the excision pathology report.  Continue to watch your moles for CHANGE!

Best wishes,

Janner

vladimir3d
            Participant

Thank you very much for reply, the mole itself was about 1mm and had no atypical visual characteristics as far as i could tell, everyone told me it was fine, but i had a nagging feeling about and had it biopsied and cut and re-excised.

Janner
              Participant

The vast majority of atypical moles will NEVER turn into melanoma.  So even though it was atypical, it was unlikely to ever become melanoma.  Given the small size of the lesion, it appears that the WLE most likely won't give you any additional information.   I trust my gut feeling, but I also watch for change.  To me, that is more important than anything else.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

The vast majority of atypical moles will NEVER turn into melanoma.  So even though it was atypical, it was unlikely to ever become melanoma.  Given the small size of the lesion, it appears that the WLE most likely won't give you any additional information.   I trust my gut feeling, but I also watch for change.  To me, that is more important than anything else.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

vladimir3d
                    Participant

Thank you very much for reply, the mole itself was about 1mm and had no atypical visual characteristics as far as i could tell, everyone told me it was fine, but i had a nagging feeling about and had it biopsied and cut and re-excised.

vladimir3d
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

To me, it reads less like they aren't sure, but more like the sample size was very small and they can't make an interpretation for the entire lesion given the small sample they were reviewing.  You'll know more when you get the excision pathology report.  Continue to watch your moles for CHANGE!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics