The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nodular Melanoma? Worried/Confused….

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Nodular Melanoma? Worried/Confused….

Participant
      Hello everyone

I noticed a small pinkish coloured pimple on my middle upper back maybe months ago and dismissed it as such. I few nights ago I examined it properly as it felt a bit more prominent/ elevated and showed it to my wife, who said something like, ‘ooh’ and then quickly said, ‘oh its nothing’, when I started to look worried. Of course I immediately started looking at doctor google (I know I shouldn’t) and came across ‘Nodular Melanomas’. In fact, the paper I read was aimed at advising dermatologists and medical practitioners on how many MNs often look like a benign condition and can lack pigmentation and do not necessarily conform to the ABC scale, and so are often dismissed. I’ve also heard that echoed in many of the posts and experiences I’ve read on this site. Admittedly, many of the images posted on the net of NMs and Melanomas look somewhat worrisome but there’s also a good few that look like simple moles. blood spots, boils, cysts, etc. The pink variety especially just looks like a harmless bump. I’m a natural born worrier and spent a very anxious and sleepless night and expect more. I saw my GP this morning and showed it to her, it felt and perhaps looked a little more prominent today, I have been poking it. She had a good look and said she wasn’t at all worried as it was relatively soft, moveable and wasn’t asymmetric. I mentioned what I had learnt online about the deceptiveness of NMs and she then offered to refer me to a dermatologist, mainly to put my mind at rest.

I’m not very good at compartmentalising stuff like this (who is?) whilst waiting all the days/weeks/months between the referral, Derm appointment, biopsy and who knows what else? Given the nature of how aggressive and fast developing this condition can be I’m think I should just go and present myself at an A&E (emergency) in a hospital that has a dermatology clinic. The (slightly) greater part of me thinks that might be silly.

Anyway here’s a few pictures, maybe someone has had experience of similar?

Thanks for reading

http://u.cubeupload.com/JS_123ZZ/thumbnail.jpeg

http://u.cubeupload.com/JS_123ZZ/thumbnail3.jpeg

http://u.cubeupload.com/JS_123ZZ/thumbnail2.jpeg

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          One can’t determine what a lesion definitively is by looking at pictures of it…sometimes not even in person. If you are worried, take your doc up on their offer of a dermatology referral and have it biopsied. An emergency room visit is not needed as this is not an emergency.
            PaulieB
            Participant
              Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I am going to the dermatologist….
            Lucygoose
            Participant
              Stay away from Google! The treatment of melanoma is advancing so rapidly that it isn’t reflected in internet searches.
              Please take a deep breath. Can you go to your GP/primary care doc for them to examine it as they are working on a referral?
              If it is melanoma find a melanoma treatment center (there’s a center finder on this site) so you can be treated by someone who knows the latest treatments.
              Good luck and I hope it’s not melanoma.
                PaulieB
                Participant
                  Thanks Lucy I appreciate that 🙂
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics