The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No vitiligo?

Forums General Melanoma Community No vitiligo?

Participant
      I’ve read that vitiligo indicates a good prognosis for people treated with immunotherapy. But has anyone become NED without vitiligo? Or has anyone experienced vitiligo late in their treatment?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Vitiligo is thought to be a good sign but no, most people who are doing well on immunotherapy do not get it. Side effects do pop up late and after immunotherapy is complete but no I for one don’t have it.
          Lucas
          Participant
            Immunotherapy vitiligo is much different than the definition given above. Most individuals who respond to immunotherapy whether partially or completely will not have vitiligo. I did however develop vitiligo late into treatment. I failed Pembrolizumab and after receiving the ipi/nivo combo the condition developed. My vitligo showed up all over my groin where I had tumors. Large random patches of my hair fell out and came back white. My Scars turned white and anywhere else I had tumors (Legs, Feet) also turned white. This condition is not something to count on, but something random that could happen, likely when you’re least expecting it. I had Stage 4 acral melanoma and did have a complete response after many failed drugs (Pembro, Single Nivo, T-VEC.)
            OnJnAnT
            Participant
              I did not have any vitiligo during my 12-month adjuvant nivo treatment for stage 3a/b. After progressing a year after that initial 12 months in lung and groin, I started ipi/nivo every three weeks for 3 months. I did not respond initially (and was asymptomatic). However, two months after my last dose of the combo I developed vitiligo and some rheumatoid arthritis. My facial hair became patchy white, and I noticed some “halos” of unpigmented skin around moles on my arm. My lung tumor and groin lymph node disappeared.

Unfortunately after about 4 months of this initial response, I progressed in the brain, as well as a few subcutaneous lesions and a lymph node. Currently I am on a TIL trial, but my beard is still white 🙂

YoJa
                Participant
                  Praying that the TIL does the trick!
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics