The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NKTR vs XmAb20717-01

Forums General Melanoma Community NKTR vs XmAb20717-01

Participant
      Hi Peeps.
      Can anyone help me to understand the difference between the two trial NKTR and XmAb20717-01 , mom dx in Oct 2018 with vaginal mel, started nivo in Feb2019 and then stable until Aug 2019 . Aug 2019 had liver mets 1 cm , started ipi/nivo in sept 2019 , stopped after 3 doses due to side effects. Now no treatment since Nov 2019 and liver tumors are growing , largest being 7cm . she has already failed ipi/nivo ( we think so ) , Oncologist at UCSF is suggesting to get into phase 1 XmAb20717 . I researched that Standford is running phase 2 trial for NKTR so wondering which one would be a better option.
      Anyone here who has failed ipi/nivo and tried NKTR with nivo ? Would she even respond even after failing nivo alone ? FYI she did respond to nivo for the first 6 months.

thanks !

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          First thoughts would be that the early phase one trial by Xencor is using a bispecfic drug that they are hoping will be less toxic than Ipi+nivo from BMS but is still using ipi+nivo just the delivery system is different (see link) https://www.xencor.com/pipeline/ The NKTR + nivo trial has been reporting for a couple of years and they have posted some data which is always good when trying to make a decision. NKTR-214 is a new spin on an old drug in melanoma called IL-2 and in this case they peglyated it which, to my understanding makes it less toxic with less side effects than the old version. Here is a link to one of the main Dr. at MD Anderson explaining the trial and what they have done to IL-2 . https://news.bms.com/press-release/partnering-news/nektar-therapeutics-and-bristol-myers-squibb-announce-us-fda-breakthro https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=kvyPL5W9ZTA
          Bubbles
          Participant
            To add to what Ed has given you here are several reports on NKTR paired with Opdivo (nivolumab) {also known as the PIVOT trial} that I have posted over the years: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=nktr

The combo has some pretty promising results. I may not be up to date, but in the US, I know of only one recruiting trial using NKTR with nivo. It is phase III and is addressed in one of the posts in the link above. The tricky part in this one is that it is randomized with half of the participants getting the combo and the other half getting nivo as a single agent.

You are correct – there is more data available on drugs used in Phase 2 and 3 trials. However, they are often randomized with some arms getting the desired drug and others getting a lesser drug or a single agent. Phase 1 trial drugs are more of a question mark, but at least everyone in the trial gets them.

I know you and your mom are in a difficult spot. Fingers crossed that you find a good treatment option for her. Celeste

guynamedbilly
            Participant
              MDAnderson is currently running a NKRT 262 + NKTR 214 and Nivo trial. I’m not sure how many arms there are or if they are currently recruiting, but I just started about two months ago.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics