The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly Diagnosed, Stage 2A, but called high risk by DecisionDX

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly Diagnosed, Stage 2A, but called high risk by DecisionDX

Participant

Hello fellow mel patients. I am newly diagnosed with a 2.6mm, non-ulcerated, and clear margins on path report after WLE. 2nd report followed from DecisionDX Melanoma saying my turmor is a class 2b, which is  high risk! Anybody else opt for the Decision DX test and receive worse results than your path report as what happened to me? What were your next steps after receiving class 2a or 2b results? PET scan? adjuvant treatments? I'm not sure what to do now. I prefer the Wait and See approach, but it may not be the best for me at this point. Thanks for reading.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The test is new and not that many people – on here at least – have announced their results.  My question for you is can you actually do adjuvant therapy?  There are really no therapies approved for stage 2a.  The FDA doesn't take into account the results from that test.  So you are stage 2a and all adjuvant therapies are approved for stage 3 or 4.  Even Interferon wasn't really given to high risk stage II except for those who pushed for it.  And if your doctor prescribes it, will insurance pay for it?  Keep us updated on what you do!

Roxanne218
            Participant

I know that adjuvant treatment would probably be available to me ONLY if I do the PET scan and end up having positive results, which of course would change my stage to a 3 or 4. Not sure I want to have the PET scan at this point because of the amt. of radiation, which can actually cause cancer in some people! So hard to decide… I'm seeing an oncologist or two before deciding on the scan.

Susanlee528
              Participant

I had the same situation as you, except I had one lymph node involved so was at stage 3a. The decisionRX result was 2b. My doc said this put me at a much much greater risk of recurrence so the decision was made to put me on Opdivo. I am so grateful for that test because without it, we wouldn’t have started any kind of further treatment and I’d have a 60+% chance of it coming back at stage IV. 

Roxanne218
                Participant

Update: I did the PET scan with weird results but my onc doesn't think they are melanoma related. One was a benign-appearing 6mm nodule on my thyroid. The other a 7mm focal point with slightly increased activity on my right breast, 2.6 max SUV. I went on to do more tests for the breast – a mammogram and ultrasound. Absolutely nothing found on both! Now they are recommending a Breast MRI for me. I wonder how much I should worry about this possibly being the start of breast cancer. I've read online articles with differing opinions. Has anyone else had this kind of situation?

jetdoctor67
                Participant

Just received my results from the DecisionDx as 2a last Friday.  My Doctor said he could perscribe a CT Scan or PET but said it would only be for baseline since my path stage is 2A.  I declined to set up the scans however currently I've been having second thoughts.  Nonetheless, I was basically told to do full body scans with a dermotologist every three months for the next couple of years.  BTW did your insurance cover the test?

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics