The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed stage 1a melanoma and scared

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed stage 1a melanoma and scared

Participant
      Hi, i had a mole removed from my thigh and have been told it was stage 1a melanoma and only 0.2mm. I realise as things go I’m very lucky. I am due to have a WLE in a weeks time and I’m ok with that. What I am worried about is my future. As a sun worshipped, I realise that has to stop but will I still be ok in the sun covered up with sun block. I’ve only told a few people about this and they seem to think my mole is gone so that’s it all sorted. I don’t feel like that and I’m quiet emotional and not sleeping very well. I understand I’m low risk but do statistics mean no re occurrence? I’m sorry to share my worries with you when a lot of you are in a worse place than me.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

Hearing the word "melanoma" is very scary, but you have one of the best possible diagnoses.  Once you have the WLE, you will be disease-free and the probability of ever having to deal with melanoma again is very, very small.  I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but I'd say it's close to a 98% chance that you will not have a recurrence.

Stay aware of your body, and watch for any moles or spots that change, and don't delay in getting them checked.  

You will be just fine!

casagrayson
          Participant

Hearing the word "melanoma" is very scary, but you have one of the best possible diagnoses.  Once you have the WLE, you will be disease-free and the probability of ever having to deal with melanoma again is very, very small.  I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but I'd say it's close to a 98% chance that you will not have a recurrence.

Stay aware of your body, and watch for any moles or spots that change, and don't delay in getting them checked.  

You will be just fine!

JC
              Participant

"but I'd say it's close to a 98% chance that you will not have a recurrence."

do they know anything about what makes the other 2% more serious?

JC
                Participant

JC
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

If they knew why some people recurred with otherwise 'low risk' lesions, then that factor(s) would be singled out and they would be staged differently.  At this point, and while it may be hard to accept, there is no answer to this question.

Janner
                      Participant

If they knew why some people recurred with otherwise 'low risk' lesions, then that factor(s) would be singled out and they would be staged differently.  At this point, and while it may be hard to accept, there is no answer to this question.

Janner
                        Participant

JC
                          Participant

Was the pathology done by a dermpath?  Might want to send for 2nd opinion just for good measure, to ensure there is agreement on the pathology.

JC
                            Participant

Was the pathology done by a dermpath?  Might want to send for 2nd opinion just for good measure, to ensure there is agreement on the pathology.

JC
                              Participant

Dolly
                                Participant
                                  Thanks for your replies. The pathology was done by a dermpath. I’m having the wide excision on my thigh on Monday and I’m not sure what to expect. I thought I’d be straight backtrack to work the next day but after speaking to my gp he says I might need a week off. Does anyone know? I’m starting to calm down now but still feel emotional and could do with a good weeks sleep. I think I’m over the shock now and ready to get back to normal.
                                  Dolly
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks for your replies. The pathology was done by a dermpath. I’m having the wide excision on my thigh on Monday and I’m not sure what to expect. I thought I’d be straight backtrack to work the next day but after speaking to my gp he says I might need a week off. Does anyone know? I’m starting to calm down now but still feel emotional and could do with a good weeks sleep. I think I’m over the shock now and ready to get back to normal.
                                    Dolly
                                    Participant
                                      Dolly
                                      Participant
                                        Ktmay
                                        Participant
                                          I was also recently diagnosed with 1a melanoma cancer. It could be a lot worse but is still so scary! I am having my second biopsy done this next Tuesday. It’s on my chest so I’m not too excited but I’m so glad it’s only stage 1. Good luck on your surgery Monday and I’ll pray for you that it’s all gone ๐Ÿ™‚
                                          Ktmay
                                          Participant
                                            I was also recently diagnosed with 1a melanoma cancer. It could be a lot worse but is still so scary! I am having my second biopsy done this next Tuesday. It’s on my chest so I’m not too excited but I’m so glad it’s only stage 1. Good luck on your surgery Monday and I’ll pray for you that it’s all gone ๐Ÿ™‚
                                            Ktmay
                                            Participant
                                              smurph226
                                              Participant
                                                I was just diagnosed with a 1A melanoma and had my wide incision two days later. Waiting for path report on the wide incision removal. Like you I am scared. There really is no further treatment required, so they say. I lost my 24 year old daughter to this horrible disease, so understandably I am freaking out
                                                smurph226
                                                Participant
                                                  I was just diagnosed with a 1A melanoma and had my wide incision two days later. Waiting for path report on the wide incision removal. Like you I am scared. There really is no further treatment required, so they say. I lost my 24 year old daughter to this horrible disease, so understandably I am freaking out
                                                  smurph226
                                                  Participant
                                                    Dolly
                                                    Participant
                                                      Dolly
                                                      Participant
                                                      casagrayson
                                                      Participant

You will be just fine!

natasha
                                                          Participant

Hi! I was diagnosed with 0.2 Breslow melanoma 2 years ago and I understand how you feel.

I think about my melanoma every single day even after 2 years.

I already had 2 pathologies done by different clinics and now I am doing pathology number 3 as it is some questions in my report .

Docs say it should not come back as it is very thin. I just hope so

natasha
                                                            Participant

Hi! I was diagnosed with 0.2 Breslow melanoma 2 years ago and I understand how you feel.

I already had 2 pathologies done by different clinics and now I am doing pathology number 3 as it is some questions in my report .

natasha
                                                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics