The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed – seeking help

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed – seeking help

Participant

What a great community!  It has been helpful to read your posts.

I was newly diagnosed from a punch biopsy with Lentigo Maligna LM (melanoma in situ) on the side of my nose in March. Prior to that my dermatologist had done two laser treatments (2011) of what had been considered a large lentigo and it kept coming back.  I asked for a biopsy.   He recommended Aldara cream.  A second and third opinion recommended surgery.  I had 2 pathologists review the slide: one said it was pre-cancer and not melanoma in situ; the other said it was melanoma in situ.  I’ve been doing some research online and interviewed several surgeons and found the information conflicting.  Meanwhile, the LM is growing and changing.  How do I choose the best surgical team since they all seem to recommend something a little different for treatment? For example:

One says MOHS for excision with margin control to minimize tissue loss since it’s on my nose and close to my eye.  Another says to take it all out with 1 mm margin and biopsy it, then do an extra 4 mm where needed.  Another will do a staged excision with 4 mm all the way around using a radial cut technique.  Peer review literature is also conflicting on margins on the face and best practice.

I was told to go to a “facial plastic surgeon” for the reconstruction since noses are difficult.  Of those I’ve interviewed: one says a graft from my cheek would  be done and another said I’d have a scar down to my lip in my smile line or up my forehead.   I hope to minimize the scars. 

I am amazed at the way so many of you are handling this frightening illness and the knowledge base contained here.  Thank you for sharing your experiences and any ideas you might be able to suggest.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I have little experience with your stage since I started at stage 4.

However the zelboraf caused a squamish cell on my neck. I dunno where you are located but if you want a very experienced 1000 plus melanoma patient dermatologist who can also get you into the same surgeon who did my neck then there is Dr. Cornellius at Siteman Cancer Center in Saint Louis.

manyhats
            Participant

Thanks for your reply!  I'm sorry to learn you started out at stage 4.  If I lived near Saint Louis I would definitely go there.  It is helpful to know where to go.  I will know more about my melanoma status once they have removed the entire lesion, but then I will need to have my nose reconstructed and that is also frightening for me: graft, cheek flap, etc. 

mjcap
              Participant

Hi manyhats, I'm interested in how your situation has progressed as I've just been diagnosed with Stage 1b melanoma on my nose and considering a number of options.  Did you decide for MOHS or wide excision – or something different? Did the plastic surgeon use a graft or cheek flap or ??, how has that progressed, and any advice you could provide?

mjcap
                Participant

Hi manyhats, I'm interested in how your situation has progressed as I've just been diagnosed with Stage 1b melanoma on my nose and considering a number of options.  Did you decide for MOHS or wide excision – or something different? Did the plastic surgeon use a graft or cheek flap or ??, how has that progressed, and any advice you could provide?

mjcap
                  Participant

manyhats
                    Participant

Thanks for your reply!  I'm sorry to learn you started out at stage 4.  If I lived near Saint Louis I would definitely go there.  It is helpful to know where to go.  I will know more about my melanoma status once they have removed the entire lesion, but then I will need to have my nose reconstructed and that is also frightening for me: graft, cheek flap, etc. 

manyhats
                      Participant

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

However the zelboraf caused a squamish cell on my neck. I dunno where you are located but if you want a very experienced 1000 plus melanoma patient dermatologist who can also get you into the same surgeon who did my neck then there is Dr. Cornellius at Siteman Cancer Center in Saint Louis.

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics