The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed Malignant Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed Malignant Melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone..

I am 43 year old female, recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma located on top of my foot. It's a place that has been there for about 8 years. I was told by 2 different doctors who just glanced at it that is was nothing to worry about. So, I kinda brushed it off and let it go. In Jan this year I decided I needed to find a new family doctor, I showed it to him during my 1st visit and he thought we should biopsy it to be on the safe side and so that I could put it behind me and not worry about it anymore. The first biopsy was a small piece that came back as severely atypical melanocytic and recommended full biopsy. I went back in a week later to have the full biopsy done and received 6 stitches to close it up. That was on January 27th. I knew when I received a call from my doctor himself instead of one of the office ladies that it must be something serious. He proceeded to tell me that it was melanoma and was referring me to a surgical oncologist. I got a copy of my pathology report.. But, I am not so sure how to understand it. I feel like its been a roller coaster with my emotions since I got the call. I don't know what to expect or what the outcome is going to be.. I am scheduled this Friday with the oncologist for WLE and sentienel lymph node biopsy. From what I have read it won't be until after that is done that they will be able to tell me the stage. I am hoping that someone here can shed some light to what I am looking at, I will share with you some of whats on my path report. 

Superficial spreading

Clark's level 4

Breslow depth 1.4

Vertical growth (tumorigenic) Present

Host response- Brisk

Regression- Absent

Misosis- 1-2mm

Ulceration- Absent

Predominant Cytology- Epithelioid

The comment sections states- 

Multiple sections have been examined

Melanocytic marker shows focal prominent pagetoid dispersion. Cytologic atypia is prmoinent.

Ki67 stain show slightly increased activity.

Wider re-excision with adequate clear margins and staging, along with sentinal lymph node biopsy are recommended.

Any help in understanding what I may be up against would be so much appreciated.. my main concern it how long it has been there that it may have a greater chance of spreading. Thank you so much for any info. God Bless!! 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JuTMSY4
        Participant

Hi – I'm sorry you're going through this.  It sucks, but take some early solace in knowing that 1) now you know and now you can be proactice and 2) Melanoma is quite a bit different than it was even a few years ago.

As to your biopsy report – I would discuss it with a doctor, an oncologist and specifically one who specializes in melanoma.  A doctor can stage you and you should consult with one.  You can actually look up the various details, but  in terms of locking in on a stage, it can vary wildly.  

That being said, your breslow depth is 1.4 which means it's thinner but intermediate in size.  You don't have ulceration which is also good.  Ulceration is more common in melanomas that have spread, but ulceration does not mean it has spread or will spread.  

Staging of melanoma is a little different.  Stages 0 (in situ) and 1 are very thin (1mm or less).  Stage 2 is roughly 1-4mm but no lymph node involvment.  Stage 3 involves those lymphnodes regardless of melanoma size and stage 4 is distant metastasis (anywhere, but commonly vital organs, bones, etc.)  Obviously, the higher the stage, the more likely spreading can/has occurred.  

So, what will happen next is they'll determine if there is lymph node involvement – you know this as you'll have an SNLB.  That's really where the rubber meets the road.  If they don't find anything, you'll have regular follow ups and you should get skin checks as often as you can (3-6 months or so).  There may be other treatment or monitoring options depending on you, your insurance and where you're located (country that is)

Again, there's lots of treatment, options and the like.  Hang in there, because the beginning is the most confusing part.  Just know that while you have a melanoma, you can now act on it.  You are in a far better position knowing something.  

-Justin

JuTMSY4
          Participant

Hi – I'm sorry you're going through this.  It sucks, but take some early solace in knowing that 1) now you know and now you can be proactice and 2) Melanoma is quite a bit different than it was even a few years ago.

As to your biopsy report – I would discuss it with a doctor, an oncologist and specifically one who specializes in melanoma.  A doctor can stage you and you should consult with one.  You can actually look up the various details, but  in terms of locking in on a stage, it can vary wildly.  

That being said, your breslow depth is 1.4 which means it's thinner but intermediate in size.  You don't have ulceration which is also good.  Ulceration is more common in melanomas that have spread, but ulceration does not mean it has spread or will spread.  

Staging of melanoma is a little different.  Stages 0 (in situ) and 1 are very thin (1mm or less).  Stage 2 is roughly 1-4mm but no lymph node involvment.  Stage 3 involves those lymphnodes regardless of melanoma size and stage 4 is distant metastasis (anywhere, but commonly vital organs, bones, etc.)  Obviously, the higher the stage, the more likely spreading can/has occurred.  

So, what will happen next is they'll determine if there is lymph node involvement – you know this as you'll have an SNLB.  That's really where the rubber meets the road.  If they don't find anything, you'll have regular follow ups and you should get skin checks as often as you can (3-6 months or so).  There may be other treatment or monitoring options depending on you, your insurance and where you're located (country that is)

Again, there's lots of treatment, options and the like.  Hang in there, because the beginning is the most confusing part.  Just know that while you have a melanoma, you can now act on it.  You are in a far better position knowing something.  

-Justin

bajohnson02
              Participant

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, as well as the poitive encouragement.. it's much needed right now due to my lack of knowledge in this area and feeling like I have no idea how to react since receiving the news. I feel like i am in a world of my own now because I don't want to worry my adult children or my family until I know more about where I stand as far as staging and such. So, I keep my thougths and fear to myself and feel like everything is falling around me. But, it seems in the short amount of time that I have been diagnosed, it has consumed my every thought. The not knowing, I suppose and the what if's.. I am trying to keep my thoughts positive and stay busy to not think about it, but it is very difficult. Again, thank you for responding.. I will anxiously await until my visit and pray for positive results…   

DZnDef
                Participant

Hi bajohnsono2, you need to vent.  I understand not wanting to cause worry for loved ones, but at the same time, you can't bottle up the worry yourself – it's just not good for you.  Consider visiting a counselor.  Your insurance might cover it.  It helps a lot to just have someone listen to your worries and concerns and a good counselor is essentially a professional listener.  And they may even have some good ideas to address your worries or how to approach the topic with your family.

I just vented my own worries to my husband last night which felt like a big relief for me, but made him sick with worry.  I don't want to do that again (poor guy).  I'll be seeking out a counselor myself now.

Other things that can help – yoga and/or meditation.

Good luck and I hope you have positive results soon!

DZnDef
                  Participant

Hi bajohnsono2, you need to vent.  I understand not wanting to cause worry for loved ones, but at the same time, you can't bottle up the worry yourself – it's just not good for you.  Consider visiting a counselor.  Your insurance might cover it.  It helps a lot to just have someone listen to your worries and concerns and a good counselor is essentially a professional listener.  And they may even have some good ideas to address your worries or how to approach the topic with your family.

I just vented my own worries to my husband last night which felt like a big relief for me, but made him sick with worry.  I don't want to do that again (poor guy).  I'll be seeking out a counselor myself now.

DZnDef
                    Participant

sarah.brannon
                      Participant

I was diagnosed this past summer, and at the time, I felt like my world was falling apart. My husband would try to make me feel better by telling me I'd be fine, which of course didn't help. All of a sudden all the plans I had made for our future might not come to be. Now, after a WLE and a sentinel lymph node biopsy, and 5 months into a year-long Interferon treatment, I don't feel so hopeless. I'm doing something (the Interferon) to actuvely fight against cancer. I'm not sitting around, wallowing in my misery. I'm still able to work, part-time right now, and that helps me feel better. Don't stop doing the things you love. I still read, and do puzzles, and take walks. I definitely tire more easily.
                        I know you feel like you shouldn't burden others, but you NEED to, for your own sanity. I have thoughts that seem ridiculous when I finally say them out loud. Talking about how you feel and what you're worried about will make you feel so much better. Fnd someone who is a good sounding board. There are so many people who have beat cancer! You can do this!

sarah.brannon
                        Participant

I was diagnosed this past summer, and at the time, I felt like my world was falling apart. My husband would try to make me feel better by telling me I'd be fine, which of course didn't help. All of a sudden all the plans I had made for our future might not come to be. Now, after a WLE and a sentinel lymph node biopsy, and 5 months into a year-long Interferon treatment, I don't feel so hopeless. I'm doing something (the Interferon) to actuvely fight against cancer. I'm not sitting around, wallowing in my misery. I'm still able to work, part-time right now, and that helps me feel better. Don't stop doing the things you love. I still read, and do puzzles, and take walks. I definitely tire more easily.
                          I know you feel like you shouldn't burden others, but you NEED to, for your own sanity. I have thoughts that seem ridiculous when I finally say them out loud. Talking about how you feel and what you're worried about will make you feel so much better. Fnd someone who is a good sounding board. There are so many people who have beat cancer! You can do this!

sarah.brannon
                          Participant

bajohnson02
                            Participant

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, as well as the poitive encouragement.. it's much needed right now due to my lack of knowledge in this area and feeling like I have no idea how to react since receiving the news. I feel like i am in a world of my own now because I don't want to worry my adult children or my family until I know more about where I stand as far as staging and such. So, I keep my thougths and fear to myself and feel like everything is falling around me. But, it seems in the short amount of time that I have been diagnosed, it has consumed my every thought. The not knowing, I suppose and the what if's.. I am trying to keep my thoughts positive and stay busy to not think about it, but it is very difficult. Again, thank you for responding.. I will anxiously await until my visit and pray for positive results…   

bajohnson02
                              Participant

JuTMSY4
                              Participant

-Justin

jennunicorn
                                Participant

So sorry you have to go through all of this. I know how stressful and scary this beginning part is. Just so you know, since this is something you had on your foot for a really long time, there's a good chance it did not start as Melanoma. The thickness is pretty thin and there is no ulceration, so that's good news. Technically speaking, currently you are T2a, that is just considering the depth and the no ulceration. You won't have a final stage until you have your SLNB. If they do not find anything in your lymph nodes, you will be at stage 1b and you'll get frequent skin checks for a while and maybe some scans over time too. 

Try your best not to stress or let anxiety take over. It can be easier said than done, I know, but there is no need to worry or wonder "what ifs". 

All the best to you,

Jenn

If you want to know more about staging, I like this site:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/detailedguide/melanoma-skin-cancer-staging

But don't let it stress you out! 🙂

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

So sorry you have to go through all of this. I know how stressful and scary this beginning part is. Just so you know, since this is something you had on your foot for a really long time, there's a good chance it did not start as Melanoma. The thickness is pretty thin and there is no ulceration, so that's good news. Technically speaking, currently you are T2a, that is just considering the depth and the no ulceration. You won't have a final stage until you have your SLNB. If they do not find anything in your lymph nodes, you will be at stage 1b and you'll get frequent skin checks for a while and maybe some scans over time too. 

Try your best not to stress or let anxiety take over. It can be easier said than done, I know, but there is no need to worry or wonder "what ifs". 

All the best to you,

Jenn

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/detailedguide/melanoma-skin-cancer-staging

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

All the best to you,

Jenn

stars
                                      Participant

Ah, you poor thing. You've asked for opinions on this thing, and been told it's ok. Now you are dealing with a melanoma diagnosis. It's very unfair and I'm sorry this is happening to you – there's no use crying over spilt milk, but if even one of those earlier doctors had been more cautious, you might have been looking at a much less serious diagnosis than melanoma.  I disagree with the person who staged you as stage 2 – you have a 1.4mm non-ulcerated melanoma with mitosis, so right now you are stage 1B. That's my best guess, anyhow.

That's not a bad place to be in melanoma world. However, as your melanoma passed the all important 1mm Breslow depth – by far the most important indicator of how serious a melanoma is – you're wise to get that sentinel lymph node biopsy as anything 1mm or over has some potential to spread (not a high chance, but a chance). If the SLNB is all clear, then you just need regular skin checks from here on in.

However, if some melanoma cells made it to the nearest lymph node, you would become stage 3 (which is any thickness of melanoma with lymph node involvement). That may not have happened, is unlikely to have happened, and really don't even cross that bridge until and unless you come to it. I think SLNB is done under general aenesthetic, so it's one medical procedure and then hopefully you get the all clear.  Here's what I make of your path report:

superficial spreading – good, these are usually the least aggressive type of melanoma (compared to nodular or acral, which are different types of melanoma)

Clarks level 4 – not ideal, it means the melanoma has burrowed through a few layers of skin and has reached the deep dermis instead of being confined to upper layers like the epidermis – Clark's level is not as important as Breslow depth and I didnt even think it would be reported once your melanoma is thicker than 1mm

Breslow 1.4 – ok – intermediate thickness – under 1mm is better as then risk of spread is lower and need for SLNB  – keep in mind, though, some people have melanomas 10mm deep, so 1.4 is at the low end of the intermediate thickness range

Vertical growth – present – not ideal as it means your melanom has finished growing radially on the surface of the skin, where it's easily removed, and gone into a vertical growth phase burrowing into your skin layers where it has a chance of metastasising to lymph nodes

Host response – brisk – means your immune system is fighting it, generally a good sign

Regression  – absent – a good thing as you know how deep your lesion is. Regression means your body has started to 'eat up' the melanoma and break it up, so with regression the true depth of the melanoma is hard to establish as part of it is now gone

Mitosis 1-2 – not super high, but anything over 1 makes you a stage 1 B (if your mitotic rate was less than 1, you would be stage1A). Mitosis refers to how fast the melanoma cells are dividing/replicating – anything over 1 changes your staging to 1B

Ulceration – absent – very good, as ulceration is considered a negative prognostic indicator

I can't help you with the rest, but it is what it is: an intermediate thickness melanoma, hopefully confined to your foot and now removed completely, with a slight chance of having already spread to nearest lymph node. It's not good, but it could be a whole lot worse.

I too have had a partial biopsy come back clear only to find on full excision that it was melanoma. I was gutted, to say the least. But then I reframed it: the important thing with melanoma is that it is FOUND and TREATED. You are doing both – there's every chance your SLNB will be the last hurdle you have to deal with. But don't underestimate the mental toll of a melanoma diagnosis – it's hit me like a train, and I have only had very thin melanoma. My advice: DON'T google and over-inform yourself – you have a stage 1 melanoma and hopefully that's the end of that story.

stars
                                        Participant

Ah, you poor thing. You've asked for opinions on this thing, and been told it's ok. Now you are dealing with a melanoma diagnosis. It's very unfair and I'm sorry this is happening to you – there's no use crying over spilt milk, but if even one of those earlier doctors had been more cautious, you might have been looking at a much less serious diagnosis than melanoma.  I disagree with the person who staged you as stage 2 – you have a 1.4mm non-ulcerated melanoma with mitosis, so right now you are stage 1B. That's my best guess, anyhow.

That's not a bad place to be in melanoma world. However, as your melanoma passed the all important 1mm Breslow depth – by far the most important indicator of how serious a melanoma is – you're wise to get that sentinel lymph node biopsy as anything 1mm or over has some potential to spread (not a high chance, but a chance). If the SLNB is all clear, then you just need regular skin checks from here on in.

However, if some melanoma cells made it to the nearest lymph node, you would become stage 3 (which is any thickness of melanoma with lymph node involvement). That may not have happened, is unlikely to have happened, and really don't even cross that bridge until and unless you come to it. I think SLNB is done under general aenesthetic, so it's one medical procedure and then hopefully you get the all clear.  Here's what I make of your path report:

superficial spreading – good, these are usually the least aggressive type of melanoma (compared to nodular or acral, which are different types of melanoma)

Clarks level 4 – not ideal, it means the melanoma has burrowed through a few layers of skin and has reached the deep dermis instead of being confined to upper layers like the epidermis – Clark's level is not as important as Breslow depth and I didnt even think it would be reported once your melanoma is thicker than 1mm

Breslow 1.4 – ok – intermediate thickness – under 1mm is better as then risk of spread is lower and need for SLNB  – keep in mind, though, some people have melanomas 10mm deep, so 1.4 is at the low end of the intermediate thickness range

Vertical growth – present – not ideal as it means your melanom has finished growing radially on the surface of the skin, where it's easily removed, and gone into a vertical growth phase burrowing into your skin layers where it has a chance of metastasising to lymph nodes

Host response – brisk – means your immune system is fighting it, generally a good sign

Regression  – absent – a good thing as you know how deep your lesion is. Regression means your body has started to 'eat up' the melanoma and break it up, so with regression the true depth of the melanoma is hard to establish as part of it is now gone

Mitosis 1-2 – not super high, but anything over 1 makes you a stage 1 B (if your mitotic rate was less than 1, you would be stage1A). Mitosis refers to how fast the melanoma cells are dividing/replicating – anything over 1 changes your staging to 1B

Ulceration – absent – very good, as ulceration is considered a negative prognostic indicator

I can't help you with the rest, but it is what it is: an intermediate thickness melanoma, hopefully confined to your foot and now removed completely, with a slight chance of having already spread to nearest lymph node. It's not good, but it could be a whole lot worse.

I too have had a partial biopsy come back clear only to find on full excision that it was melanoma. I was gutted, to say the least. But then I reframed it: the important thing with melanoma is that it is FOUND and TREATED. You are doing both – there's every chance your SLNB will be the last hurdle you have to deal with. But don't underestimate the mental toll of a melanoma diagnosis – it's hit me like a train, and I have only had very thin melanoma. My advice: DON'T google and over-inform yourself – you have a stage 1 melanoma and hopefully that's the end of that story.

spiderman
                                            Participant

Great summary. Just one minor correction, once you go over 1 mm you are automatically at least stage 1b, so even if the mitosis were 0 it would not be stage 1a. I was the opposite, I qualified for the 1a club based on depth, but I got thrown into 1b based on my non-zero mitosis. Hopefully the SLNB for bajohnson02 comes back clean and she can stay in the 1b club.

As you stated, any melanoma diagnosis other than stage 0 comes with enormous mental challenges. Your advice to stay away from over analyzing things works for most. It doesn’t work for me, but that’s just my personality, so I have to manage things in a different way. As many here have stated, regardless of what approach you take, it gets better with time.

spiderman
                                              Participant

Great summary. Just one minor correction, once you go over 1 mm you are automatically at least stage 1b, so even if the mitosis were 0 it would not be stage 1a. I was the opposite, I qualified for the 1a club based on depth, but I got thrown into 1b based on my non-zero mitosis. Hopefully the SLNB for bajohnson02 comes back clean and she can stay in the 1b club.

As you stated, any melanoma diagnosis other than stage 0 comes with enormous mental challenges. Your advice to stay away from over analyzing things works for most. It doesn’t work for me, but that’s just my personality, so I have to manage things in a different way. As many here have stated, regardless of what approach you take, it gets better with time.

spiderman
                                                Participant

stars
                                                Participant

Cynlee
                                                  Participant

Sorry you are going through this I just had this done on the top of my left foot on January 7 done by a surgical oncologist and a plastic surgeon closed the wound. I was very lucky to not have to have a skin graft. I was told I would have to have one prior to going in for surgery.  I'm only stage 1a  so I didn't have to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy. I would be happy to talk to you on the phone to tell you about the recovery time and what to expect from the surgery. With it being on the foot it's not like a typical recovery. My email is [email protected]. If you email your cell or phone number I'll call you to talk. My phone number  Area code is 856 so you will know it's me calling.  

Cynthia 

Cynlee
                                                    Participant

Sorry you are going through this I just had this done on the top of my left foot on January 7 done by a surgical oncologist and a plastic surgeon closed the wound. I was very lucky to not have to have a skin graft. I was told I would have to have one prior to going in for surgery.  I'm only stage 1a  so I didn't have to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy. I would be happy to talk to you on the phone to tell you about the recovery time and what to expect from the surgery. With it being on the foot it's not like a typical recovery. My email is [email protected]. If you email your cell or phone number I'll call you to talk. My phone number  Area code is 856 so you will know it's me calling.  

Cynthia 

Cynlee
                                                      Participant

Cynthia 

SamS
                                                          Participant

I was also just diagnosed… From a small mole on my shin that two dermatologists told me was nothing… One even told me twice… But my own instinct made me ask a surgeon to remove it. Then the biopsy came back error-ridden, thank goodness I had a surgical oncologist interpret it for as they suspected the decimal point was in the wrong place for the breslow measurement… But the would not release the slides for reevaluation except for one which shows 1.1mm so now I am booked for SLNB and LWE on 21st. It was not ulcerated and clear margin in the initial removal but no other information available for us. I guess the next step will tell us all we need to know. I was going to post on here then found this already started which so closely matches my own concerns etc. just wondering about recovery from SLNB ? Any hints or tips ? I was widowed 14 years ago and am on contract overseas… Anything that prevents me from working and supporting my family has a major impact and while I have many friends family us elsewhere round the world. Telling my 17 year old son his mum is defective was really tough, I am all he has. Appreciate any advice and support and thanks to the original poster for letting me join this thread… 

Polymath
                                                            Participant

Hi Sam,

Whoa!  First thing is you are not defective.  Get that right out of your mind right now.  I shared my diagnosis with my then 14 year old daughter in an open, and honest way.  These kids are tough, and smart.  Her only question was "is it terminal".  Just like you, that answer is completely unknown.  Be strong for yourself and your family.  As for your upcoming surgery, the shin is a tough place, since there is so little fatty tissue and it may take a skin graft.  I've followed others on this board who had that same location and although healing time may be increased, you may be surprised on how easy it is to recover, and how little it may really effect you.  Maybe someone can chime in who's been there. Hopefully you can get this bug still in place, before any spread to lymph nodes, but for now stay positive and realize this ailment is a likely result of how we lived our lives, but not who we are.

Aloha, Gary

Polymath
                                                              Participant

Hi Sam,

Whoa!  First thing is you are not defective.  Get that right out of your mind right now.  I shared my diagnosis with my then 14 year old daughter in an open, and honest way.  These kids are tough, and smart.  Her only question was "is it terminal".  Just like you, that answer is completely unknown.  Be strong for yourself and your family.  As for your upcoming surgery, the shin is a tough place, since there is so little fatty tissue and it may take a skin graft.  I've followed others on this board who had that same location and although healing time may be increased, you may be surprised on how easy it is to recover, and how little it may really effect you.  Maybe someone can chime in who's been there. Hopefully you can get this bug still in place, before any spread to lymph nodes, but for now stay positive and realize this ailment is a likely result of how we lived our lives, but not who we are.

Aloha, Gary

SamS
                                                                Participant

Thank you for your kind words, I feel so grateful it's been identified now but at the same time I feel so fine it's hard to truly believe there could be anything wrong. I seem to fluctuate between feeling like I can do this… To complete panic. Mainly I do not want this to define me as a person. Just hard to accept and like it or not my perspectives are changed now. So glad I am not alone in this thanks to this forum. There is no local outreach support.

SamS
                                                                  Participant

Thank you for your kind words, I feel so grateful it's been identified now but at the same time I feel so fine it's hard to truly believe there could be anything wrong. I seem to fluctuate between feeling like I can do this… To complete panic. Mainly I do not want this to define me as a person. Just hard to accept and like it or not my perspectives are changed now. So glad I am not alone in this thanks to this forum. There is no local outreach support.

SamS
                                                                    Participant

Polymath
                                                                      Participant

Hi Sam,

Aloha, Gary

Janner
                                                                        Participant

I had a stage 1b lesion (so the same 1cm margins)  mid shin right over the bone.  That was 22 years ago.  The area is tough because everything seems to pull that area – even walking.  However, I modified my routine very little except limiting excessive activities until the stitches were out and until the wound was well healed.  Didn't want to split the stitches.  My scar was probably too short, my derm at the time did it and I ended up with some dog-eared edges.  But even those resolved over time.  A longer scar is actually better because there is less stress on any given area.  I didn't have the SNB for this as it wasn't in use in 1992 when I had the shin WLE done.  I've also had a WLE below the knee to the inside and one on the inside of the calf.  All are tough but very doable to keep up normal but not excessive activities after the initial few days of healing. 

Janner
                                                                          Participant

I had a stage 1b lesion (so the same 1cm margins)  mid shin right over the bone.  That was 22 years ago.  The area is tough because everything seems to pull that area – even walking.  However, I modified my routine very little except limiting excessive activities until the stitches were out and until the wound was well healed.  Didn't want to split the stitches.  My scar was probably too short, my derm at the time did it and I ended up with some dog-eared edges.  But even those resolved over time.  A longer scar is actually better because there is less stress on any given area.  I didn't have the SNB for this as it wasn't in use in 1992 when I had the shin WLE done.  I've also had a WLE below the knee to the inside and one on the inside of the calf.  All are tough but very doable to keep up normal but not excessive activities after the initial few days of healing. 

Janner
                                                                            Participant

SamS
                                                                              Participant

So helpful thanks you. The surgeon has already said it may be tricky until it heals. Scar is preferable to any lurking bad bits ! In some ways I am more confused about what to expect from the SLNB in terms of post op and recovery… It's hard to find much aside from hospital produced impersonal stuff. Thank you for sharing your shin experiences and encouraging me that I can get through this. I have no option. But it's greatly assuring also. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                Participant

Hi Sam, I wanted to address what to expect for SLNB recovery. Most likely since the Melanoma was on your leg, the SLNB will be done in your groin. I had a groin SLNB in November and the day after surgery I didn't walk around much, but the day after that I was able to get up and walk around and not be too uncomfortable. I only took pain meds for the first 2 days, after that I just took ibuprofen. By day 3 I was able to get out of the house for a little bit. You shouldn't have to miss very much work. My surgeon said to give it a week before I go back to work, but I could have gone back after 4 days. 

Try your best to stay positive and know that a Melanoma diagnosis these days is not the same as it was ten years ago. So many new advances in medicine and science is constantly making our diagnosis more positive. I am 29 years old, stage 3b and going through adjuvent treatment for the hope to prevent a recurrence. I am thankful every day that my Melanoma was found and I am able to be proactive in my treatment. 

All the best to you,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Sam, I wanted to address what to expect for SLNB recovery. Most likely since the Melanoma was on your leg, the SLNB will be done in your groin. I had a groin SLNB in November and the day after surgery I didn't walk around much, but the day after that I was able to get up and walk around and not be too uncomfortable. I only took pain meds for the first 2 days, after that I just took ibuprofen. By day 3 I was able to get out of the house for a little bit. You shouldn't have to miss very much work. My surgeon said to give it a week before I go back to work, but I could have gone back after 4 days. 

Try your best to stay positive and know that a Melanoma diagnosis these days is not the same as it was ten years ago. So many new advances in medicine and science is constantly making our diagnosis more positive. I am 29 years old, stage 3b and going through adjuvent treatment for the hope to prevent a recurrence. I am thankful every day that my Melanoma was found and I am able to be proactive in my treatment. 

All the best to you,

Jenn

SamS
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Jenn, really helpful. Not too many options for treatment here beyond the SNB so optimistic that is all I'll need. I teach second grade so hate to miss any days of school, but our campus has many stairs so I'll be mindful for my shin LWE healing as much as mobilising for all the steps after the SNB. Usually pretty active so might find that a challenge but worth it for the long term. Thanks again and wishing you the best.

SamS
                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Jenn, really helpful. Not too many options for treatment here beyond the SNB so optimistic that is all I'll need. I teach second grade so hate to miss any days of school, but our campus has many stairs so I'll be mindful for my shin LWE healing as much as mobilising for all the steps after the SNB. Usually pretty active so might find that a challenge but worth it for the long term. Thanks again and wishing you the best.

SamS
                                                                                        Participant

btcedarr
                                                                                          Participant

I had a WLE and groin SLNB in October after a stage 1b diagnosis. I have a 1" scar from the SLNB and had no swelling. Everyone is different. I was back to work at 4 days with no pain from there or the 3" WLE. 

btcedarr
                                                                                            Participant

I had a WLE and groin SLNB in October after a stage 1b diagnosis. I have a 1" scar from the SLNB and had no swelling. Everyone is different. I was back to work at 4 days with no pain from there or the 3" WLE. 

SamS
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you for sharing your experience. Really helpful.

SamS
                                                                                                Participant

SamS
                                                                                                  Participant

btcedarr
                                                                                                    Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                      Participant

All the best to you,

Jenn

SamS
                                                                                                        Participant

So helpful thanks you. The surgeon has already said it may be tricky until it heals. Scar is preferable to any lurking bad bits ! In some ways I am more confused about what to expect from the SLNB in terms of post op and recovery… It's hard to find much aside from hospital produced impersonal stuff. Thank you for sharing your shin experiences and encouraging me that I can get through this. I have no option. But it's greatly assuring also. 

SamS
                                                                                                          Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              Hi Sam! I agree with Gary – please don’t think this is a defect. Our experiences, not our diagnosis, make us who we are. I think of my scars as my tiger stripes of bravery 😉

I had a WLE on my thigh and SLNB of the groin. No skin graft for the thigh, even though the surgeon said they would very likely need one. The SLNB scar was only about 2-3 inches, and wasn’t nearly as painful as the WLE. It was right in the crease, so you couldn’t really see the scar with a bathing suit.

Pain meds for probably 3 days and permanently on the couch for that 3 days. I wasn’t back to full on my feet, normal out and about for 10 days due to thigh swelling more than pain. I kept my leg wrapped and took NSAIDS, which helped out quite a bit. If they have to do a skin graft from the thigh, the graft site can be very painful and raw as well.

Wish you all the best!

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Hi Sam! I agree with Gary – please don’t think this is a defect. Our experiences, not our diagnosis, make us who we are. I think of my scars as my tiger stripes of bravery 😉

I had a WLE on my thigh and SLNB of the groin. No skin graft for the thigh, even though the surgeon said they would very likely need one. The SLNB scar was only about 2-3 inches, and wasn’t nearly as painful as the WLE. It was right in the crease, so you couldn’t really see the scar with a bathing suit.

Pain meds for probably 3 days and permanently on the couch for that 3 days. I wasn’t back to full on my feet, normal out and about for 10 days due to thigh swelling more than pain. I kept my leg wrapped and took NSAIDS, which helped out quite a bit. If they have to do a skin graft from the thigh, the graft site can be very painful and raw as well.

Wish you all the best!

SamS
                                                                                                                Participant

I so appreciate this, everyone… Feeling a whole lot braver and informed, and prepared. I hope everything is going well for the member who started this particular thread as they have their appointments. You opened the door for me to face this and find I am part of an amazing and inspiring community. My life is richer once again. Wishing you each continued strength and love.

SamS
                                                                                                                  Participant

I so appreciate this, everyone… Feeling a whole lot braver and informed, and prepared. I hope everything is going well for the member who started this particular thread as they have their appointments. You opened the door for me to face this and find I am part of an amazing and inspiring community. My life is richer once again. Wishing you each continued strength and love.

SamS
                                                                                                                    Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                      Participant

Wish you all the best!

SamS
                                                                                                                        Participant

I was also just diagnosed… From a small mole on my shin that two dermatologists told me was nothing… One even told me twice… But my own instinct made me ask a surgeon to remove it. Then the biopsy came back error-ridden, thank goodness I had a surgical oncologist interpret it for as they suspected the decimal point was in the wrong place for the breslow measurement… But the would not release the slides for reevaluation except for one which shows 1.1mm so now I am booked for SLNB and LWE on 21st. It was not ulcerated and clear margin in the initial removal but no other information available for us. I guess the next step will tell us all we need to know. I was going to post on here then found this already started which so closely matches my own concerns etc. just wondering about recovery from SLNB ? Any hints or tips ? I was widowed 14 years ago and am on contract overseas… Anything that prevents me from working and supporting my family has a major impact and while I have many friends family us elsewhere round the world. Telling my 17 year old son his mum is defective was really tough, I am all he has. Appreciate any advice and support and thanks to the original poster for letting me join this thread… 

SamS
                                                                                                                          Participant

bajohnson02
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              Hello to everyone! I want to thank all of you for your responses, it’s been very helpful hearing from all of you.. I have been wanting to get back on here to respond and update. I had the WLE and sentinel lymph node biopsy done last Wednesday. It’s been so hard waiting for the results which I finally got today at my one week follow up with my oncology surgeon. The Dr said I have clear margins in the primary melanoma they removed from the top of my foot. However the lymph node biopsy from my groin area came back positive, the Dr said it was a small amount in 2 lymph nodes. He felt confident that he got it all, & he said this puts me at stage 3a. He said basically we just do check ups every 6 months and go from there. He’s not the most informative Dr to talk to and although he may be a great oncologist he left me feeling very unsure of the situation. I am thankful that he seemed positive and maybe I should just be grateful and let it go.. but my question to all of you is should I be or have already had a scan done to see if spreading has occurred anywhere else? He never mentioned it and neither did I, but I am wondering if I should be doing anything else to be proactive for my own health in regards to this, or is this all I should expect at this time. I am sorry for the long post and appreciate any info you can provide. .
                                                                                                                              _Paul_
                                                                                                                              Participant

When I received my stage 3a about 3.5 years ago I soon became disenchanted with my care and switched to a melanoma center of excellence (SCCA I Seattle). I believe one of the first things they did was a PET to rule out spread. The PET came back negative and it was a huge relief at the time.

All the best! – Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                Participant

When I received my stage 3a about 3.5 years ago I soon became disenchanted with my care and switched to a melanoma center of excellence (SCCA I Seattle). I believe one of the first things they did was a PET to rule out spread. The PET came back negative and it was a huge relief at the time.

All the best! – Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                  Participant

All the best! – Paul

bajohnson02
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      Hi Paul.. thanks so much for your reply! I hope all is still going well for you now. It’s a scary time when you hear that kind of news. I did call yesterday to schedule an appointment at the Brown Cancer Center thats about an hour from where I live. They were already so much more compassionate and caring just over the phone compared to my few visits with the oncologist that done my surgery. The lady I spoke with seemed very surprised I had not had any scans done at all, so hopefully if they do one, it will bring me some peace. Again, thank you for your response, it’s greatly appreciated!
                                                                                                                                      bajohnson02
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Hi Paul.. thanks so much for your reply! I hope all is still going well for you now. It’s a scary time when you hear that kind of news. I did call yesterday to schedule an appointment at the Brown Cancer Center thats about an hour from where I live. They were already so much more compassionate and caring just over the phone compared to my few visits with the oncologist that done my surgery. The lady I spoke with seemed very surprised I had not had any scans done at all, so hopefully if they do one, it will bring me some peace. Again, thank you for your response, it’s greatly appreciated!
                                                                                                                                        bajohnson02
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          bajohnson02
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Hello to everyone! I want to thank all of you for your responses, it’s been very helpful hearing from all of you.. I have been wanting to get back on here to respond and update. I had the WLE and sentinel lymph node biopsy done last Wednesday. It’s been so hard waiting for the results which I finally got today at my one week follow up with my oncology surgeon. The Dr said I have clear margins in the primary melanoma they removed from the top of my foot. However the lymph node biopsy from my groin area came back positive, the Dr said it was a small amount in 2 lymph nodes. He felt confident that he got it all, & he said this puts me at stage 3a. He said basically we just do check ups every 6 months and go from there. He’s not the most informative Dr to talk to and although he may be a great oncologist he left me feeling very unsure of the situation. I am thankful that he seemed positive and maybe I should just be grateful and let it go.. but my question to all of you is should I be or have already had a scan done to see if spreading has occurred anywhere else? He never mentioned it and neither did I, but I am wondering if I should be doing anything else to be proactive for my own health in regards to this, or is this all I should expect at this time. I am sorry for the long post and appreciate any info you can provide. .
                                                                                                                                            bajohnson02
                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                        Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics