The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed. Ease my brain.

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed. Ease my brain.

Participant

I was just diagnosed this past Tuesday. Melanoma on my scalp.  I've done my research, respectively probably too much googling. The problem is this diagnosis came right in the middle of me suffering from some major depression and anxiety along with borderline personality disorder.  I was  inpatient at a psych facility for 5 days  and in partial hospitalization for 2 weeks.  med changes happened about 5 weeks ago.  I had thought the side effects had pretty much subsided, besides a major loss of appetite. I've lost 14 lbs in the last month, and 30 since last July. (I am already tall and thin, wasn't trying to diet).  But recently (before diagnosis) I've noticed some weird things that now are ringing some alarms in my head. Obviously these all blur in with medication side effects. Now I'm not sure what to think. Vision changes, such as trouble with my peripheries and trouble focusing. Also most recently some major dizziness. Well not just dizziness, like vertigo. The room is moving. Also some weird hearing issues. Muffled sound. Sensitivity to sound. 

Now since my primary melanoma is on my scalp, of course I'm going to worry about it's proximity to my brain. And stupid me googled it seeing that scalp melanomas are much more likely to metastasize to the brain.  

My wide excision and SLNB are happening Wednesday. I had told my oncologist about some of these symptoms happening.  I feel like we are all just writing this off as medication side effects. And I am writing it off as anxiety. Because I'm scared as hell.  But I can't ignore this anymore.  My oncologist had mentioned doing an MRI of my brain. I guess I don't know if I should call her and let her know these things are getting worse?  Call my psych and see if he thinks these could still be med side effects?  Probably all of that. 

Mostly I just needed to get that out of my system because I don't want to scare the people around me. 

Thank you for listening. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cynthia C
        Participant

Hi Ajwells,

You are among friends here. It sounds like you have been through a lot lately but things are moving along in a timely fashion. Get through the wide excision, SLNB, and brain MRI. You will know so much more after these tests. Please keep us informed. You will find folks here who have been through what you are going through. My melanoma was on my lower leg, diagnosed at stage 3b in 2001, and I am still here with no recurrences!

Cynthia 

Cynthia C
          Participant

Hi Ajwells,

You are among friends here. It sounds like you have been through a lot lately but things are moving along in a timely fashion. Get through the wide excision, SLNB, and brain MRI. You will know so much more after these tests. Please keep us informed. You will find folks here who have been through what you are going through. My melanoma was on my lower leg, diagnosed at stage 3b in 2001, and I am still here with no recurrences!

Cynthia 

Cynthia C
            Participant

Hi Ajwells,

Cynthia 

casagrayson
              Participant

Did you get the pathology report from the biopsy?  Do you know the size and the mitosis rate?

Ajwells
                  Participant

The thickness is 1mm and mitotic rate is 1.

I've done the research and I know the odds are in my favor…  I just don't like all of those percentage and statistics. I usually end up in the rare category. 

Ajwells
                    Participant

I've done the research and I know the odds are in my favor…  I just don't like all of those percentage and statistics. I usually end up in the rare category. 

Ajwells
                      Participant

casagrayson
                      Participant

Did you get the pathology report from the biopsy?  Do you know the size and the mitosis rate?

casagrayson
                        Participant

caretothepeople
                          Participant

As others have mentioned, it's great that you have found yourself here and are reaching out. It sounds like you've been through a lot lately. Let your doctor know about your other diagnoses as well as any medications you're on as it may have implications for your treatment options for the melanoma. If you're not working with a therapist already, speak with your doc about this too or your contact at the psychiatric facility. Support is SO important to the journey!! The MRF also has some support resources here on their website, too.

-MW

caretothepeople
                            Participant

As others have mentioned, it's great that you have found yourself here and are reaching out. It sounds like you've been through a lot lately. Let your doctor know about your other diagnoses as well as any medications you're on as it may have implications for your treatment options for the melanoma. If you're not working with a therapist already, speak with your doc about this too or your contact at the psychiatric facility. Support is SO important to the journey!! The MRF also has some support resources here on their website, too.

-MW

caretothepeople
                              Participant

-MW

Gene_S
                                Participant

Hello AJ,

My husband had melanoma on his scalp and his was 10.5 mm in Jan. 2008.  He had his SNB and WLE In Feb and he was stage 3A because of size.  Everything came back okay.  After 3 more surgeries and in Oct. 2010 he became stage IV with an unresectable Tumor at the Cervical spine 1 & 2 and metasis to the liver and the lungs and 4 small lesions that were visible on the surface.  He went on a Clinical Trial of IPI and GM-CSF in March 2011 where he did the initial 4 doses in 12 weeks and then went on maintenance doses every 12 weeks.  He became NED in July 2012 and has remained till this day so for over 3 and 1/2 years.  He just had his 5th anniversary for starting the clinical trial in March and goes for yearly check ups.  It never showed in the brain so there is some hope for you as well.

If you would like to read more about his journey check out his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Hello AJ,

My husband had melanoma on his scalp and his was 10.5 mm in Jan. 2008.  He had his SNB and WLE In Feb and he was stage 3A because of size.  Everything came back okay.  After 3 more surgeries and in Oct. 2010 he became stage IV with an unresectable Tumor at the Cervical spine 1 & 2 and metasis to the liver and the lungs and 4 small lesions that were visible on the surface.  He went on a Clinical Trial of IPI and GM-CSF in March 2011 where he did the initial 4 doses in 12 weeks and then went on maintenance doses every 12 weeks.  He became NED in July 2012 and has remained till this day so for over 3 and 1/2 years.  He just had his 5th anniversary for starting the clinical trial in March and goes for yearly check ups.  It never showed in the brain so there is some hope for you as well.

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hello AJ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics