The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed, any massachusetts folks?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed, any massachusetts folks?

Participant
      Hi all,
      I am new to mpip and I wanted to introduce myself and find out if there were any other massachusetts folks on here as I am the only melanoma patient that I know.
      I am a 31 year old woman who works in the healthcare field (which makes this all the more interesting as I feel like I know too much sometimes).

I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in august of this past year. I had a rather unusual presentation as I had no known primary. I was found to have large tumors in my kidneys which were found after an ultrasound I had to evaluate nausea and abdominal pain. Originally the presumed diagnosis was renal cell carcinoma, but after further testing it proved to be metastatic melanoma. For now I have mets in my kidneys (largest is 8.5 cm…yikes!) brain (4mm), and subcutaneous mets in my abdomen (1-2 cm). Finally after all of the testing which lasted over a month I started on vemurafenib. I have been on it for 2 wks now. I will be going for stereotatic radio surgery on oct 28 th for the brain met.

I pretty much have had an almost immediate improvement in my generalized fatigue and nausea. But I still have some decreased appetite. Plus i am starting to notice some hair loss (with showering and styling hair), which i thought wasnt really supposed to happen with zelboraf…but apparently alopecia is a side effect listed in the prescribing reference. I also have been having some GI effects since starting the med. From what I gather I will continue on vemurafenib until it looks as if it is no longer working with the hope that my kidney mets will shrink down some before switching to an immune therapy like ipilimumab or IL-2.

Does anyone else on zelboraf have similar effects (hair loss, lower GI effects like diarrhea and excessive gas)? If so…do the GI effects improve with time on the drug?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant

Hi

So sorry to have to meet new people here.

While I'm not from Massachusetts I am from Connecticut, so we are almost neighbors.  I am also going into my 19th month on Zelboraf and can give you some of my side effect experience.  The only side effect you are experiencing that I had was hair loss although it was from my body and not my head.

The other side effects I have had were body rash (none on face), very sensitive to sun (tough for someone who likes gardening), mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off.  All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.

I hope your GI effects diminish quickly and that you continue to feel benefits from Zelboraf.

Best of luck

Dick

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Question:

Did your Onologist talk to you about doing BRAF + MEK instead of doing Braf (Zelboraf) alone?

Jimmy B

shellebrownies
              Participant

Jim,

Being from Mass, I can tell you that there is not a BRAF/MEK trial still open in this area. My husband washed out of it in May and by the time he was well enough to qualify for it, the trial was closed. 

Michelle

shellebrownies
                Participant

Jim,

Being from Mass, I can tell you that there is not a BRAF/MEK trial still open in this area. My husband washed out of it in May and by the time he was well enough to qualify for it, the trial was closed. 

Michelle

shellebrownies
                  Participant

Jim,

Michelle

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Question:

Did your Onologist talk to you about doing BRAF + MEK instead of doing Braf (Zelboraf) alone?

Jimmy B

Richard_K
                    Participant

Hi

So sorry to have to meet new people here.

While I'm not from Massachusetts I am from Connecticut, so we are almost neighbors.  I am also going into my 19th month on Zelboraf and can give you some of my side effect experience.  The only side effect you are experiencing that I had was hair loss although it was from my body and not my head.

The other side effects I have had were body rash (none on face), very sensitive to sun (tough for someone who likes gardening), mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off.  All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.

I hope your GI effects diminish quickly and that you continue to feel benefits from Zelboraf.

Best of luck

Dick

momof2kids
                      Participant

I am not on zelboraf, but I just wanted to say Hi.  I too, am 31 years old, and just shocked this happened so early in life, so I can completely understand where you are and how you are feeling.  We've barely started to live our adult lives, 10 years out of college, if that, and we stuck with this stupid cancer.

I don't know about those side effects as I'm not on those drugs/treatments there (I'm on Yervoy/IPI), but I think any diarrhea/gas is like a #1 side effect of any drug/treatment, so I'd guess those are normal.

Hair loss too, is probably a side effect. I lost my hair where I had Gamma Knife, and even the Brain doctor who did it, said he's rarely seen anyone lose their hair from it, but of course I did!  Finally 2 months later, it just started to re-grow this week! I already regrew it once after my original brain surgery back in June 2011.

momof2kids
                        Participant

I am not on zelboraf, but I just wanted to say Hi.  I too, am 31 years old, and just shocked this happened so early in life, so I can completely understand where you are and how you are feeling.  We've barely started to live our adult lives, 10 years out of college, if that, and we stuck with this stupid cancer.

I don't know about those side effects as I'm not on those drugs/treatments there (I'm on Yervoy/IPI), but I think any diarrhea/gas is like a #1 side effect of any drug/treatment, so I'd guess those are normal.

Hair loss too, is probably a side effect. I lost my hair where I had Gamma Knife, and even the Brain doctor who did it, said he's rarely seen anyone lose their hair from it, but of course I did!  Finally 2 months later, it just started to re-grow this week! I already regrew it once after my original brain surgery back in June 2011.

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

Hi,

I use to live in MA but am now up in ME.  My oncologist is Dr Lawrence from Mass General in Boston so I come down for all my appointments and tests to MA.

I am sorry you have jumped right into stage 4 melanoma without any warning, that must have been really hard and shocking for you and your family. 

I am on zelboraf for 2 months now..  Had great scans last week 50% reduction.  My side effects are sun sensitivity, warts and squamous cell cancers popping up now and then(which dermatologist removes squamous).  I also have had some hair loss but on my body eyebrows etc not as much from my head.  I have def dealt with the nauseau, gas and dairrhea now and then.  It does seem to come and go, I am not sure if I make it worse when I eat dairy? or other foods trigger it? 

I am soo relieved to have pain gone, I was having bad pain in shoulder and left side and that disappeared quickly once I started.    Similar plan for me, shrink tumors or have them disappear then switch to another drug like ippi. 

keep us posted

laurie from maine

PhoenixJ
                              Participant
                                Hi Laurie,

I too have Dr. Lawrence at MGH, so it sounds like we are on a similar plan for now. πŸ™‚

PhoenixJ
                                Participant
                                  Hi Laurie,

I too have Dr. Lawrence at MGH, so it sounds like we are on a similar plan for now. πŸ™‚

PhoenixJ
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Laurie,

Laurie from maine
                                  Participant

Hi,

I use to live in MA but am now up in ME.  My oncologist is Dr Lawrence from Mass General in Boston so I come down for all my appointments and tests to MA.

I am sorry you have jumped right into stage 4 melanoma without any warning, that must have been really hard and shocking for you and your family. 

I am on zelboraf for 2 months now..  Had great scans last week 50% reduction.  My side effects are sun sensitivity, warts and squamous cell cancers popping up now and then(which dermatologist removes squamous).  I also have had some hair loss but on my body eyebrows etc not as much from my head.  I have def dealt with the nauseau, gas and dairrhea now and then.  It does seem to come and go, I am not sure if I make it worse when I eat dairy? or other foods trigger it? 

I am soo relieved to have pain gone, I was having bad pain in shoulder and left side and that disappeared quickly once I started.    Similar plan for me, shrink tumors or have them disappear then switch to another drug like ippi. 

keep us posted

laurie from maine

Rocco
                                    Participant

Hi there!

Not from MA, but live just over the boarder in NH.  Receive all my care out of Dana Farber.  I too was diagnosed right off (Aug 2005) at Stage IV with unknown primary.  Been through quite a bit for the first several years  (surgeries, rad., IL-2, trials), but have been NED for some time thanks largely to Ipi trial (now Yervoy).  MPIP is a great place to ask questions – it's been a life saver for me over the years – so ask away.

Just FYI if you're interested/able –  the Melanoma Foundation of New England is hosting a Fall Melanoma Symposium on Wed, November 9, from 6:30 – 9pm at Dana Farber Cancer Center in Boston.  I believe that Dr. Atkins from BIDMC and Dr. Hodi from DF will be discussing lastest treatment options.  Typically good opportunity to ask questions of docs and meet other Mel patients/survivors.

Hang in there!

Rocco, Stage IV (since Aug 2005), Ipi responder.

http://www.mfne.org/?page=home  TyipTy

Rocco
                                      Participant

Hi there!

Not from MA, but live just over the boarder in NH.  Receive all my care out of Dana Farber.  I too was diagnosed right off (Aug 2005) at Stage IV with unknown primary.  Been through quite a bit for the first several years  (surgeries, rad., IL-2, trials), but have been NED for some time thanks largely to Ipi trial (now Yervoy).  MPIP is a great place to ask questions – it's been a life saver for me over the years – so ask away.

Just FYI if you're interested/able –  the Melanoma Foundation of New England is hosting a Fall Melanoma Symposium on Wed, November 9, from 6:30 – 9pm at Dana Farber Cancer Center in Boston.  I believe that Dr. Atkins from BIDMC and Dr. Hodi from DF will be discussing lastest treatment options.  Typically good opportunity to ask questions of docs and meet other Mel patients/survivors.

Hang in there!

Rocco
                                        Participant

Hi there!

Hang in there!

PhoenixJ
                                            Participant
                                              Thanks Rocco,

I will definitely check out the symposium in November, thanks for the tip. It is really nice to hear that there are people out there who were stage 4 and now NED. I am hanging on to hope!

PhoenixJ
                                              Participant
                                                Thanks Rocco,

I will definitely check out the symposium in November, thanks for the tip. It is really nice to hear that there are people out there who were stage 4 and now NED. I am hanging on to hope!

PhoenixJ
                                                Participant
                                                  Thanks Rocco,

shellebrownies
                                                Participant

Phoenix,

We are from Massachusetts. My husband is 46; his diagnosis came out of nowhere back in March. He had a Stage 1A spot removed from his right shoulder two years ago…and we were told he would be fine. He went to his derm every 6 months like clockwork; nothing was ever found until his lymph node under his arm swelled up like a lemon. Boom, just like that, he was Stage 4. 

Don's spread has been to more lymph nodes in his right shoulder (beyond what was removed), lungs, liver, and bone (bone spread is the worst, with it half way up his spine, his hips, sternum, ribs, etc).

He is also a patient of Dr. Lawrence. I can tell you that our experience with Dr. Lawrence and his team has been phenomenal. If you read our profile, you'll see that we started out at Dana Farber and didn't have a good experience there. It was night and day.

So far, my husband has had chemo (carboplatin/taxol) and started vemurafenib the same week it was FDA approved. He was transitioned to the RX Zelboraf a couple weeks ago.

So far, he has had some small vomiting issues (just a couple times), a pretty good rash (although not too itchy), small warts (none that have been squamous cell yet), some fatigue that comes and goes. He had lost ALL his hair when he had the chemo, so most of it is actually growing back. However, I don't notice nearly as much of the body hair growing back (as opposed to his eyelashes, eyebrows and head hair), and have heard that body hair loss is more common than head hair, although I have heard of some head hair thinning from Zelboraf. 

Zelboraf can have some startling results (in a good way) and I hope you will have that kind of response. Also wishing your radio surgery goes well!

Well met, fellow Bay Stater!

Michelle, wife of Don

Laurie from maine
                                                    Participant

Hi,

Well we have our own little group here it seems –  the zelboraf club πŸ™‚ not where we want to be but hoping we all will see good results.  I am glad to have others to help me with side effects and support, as I will be there for all of you.

We have a smaller Dr LAwrence fan club it seems too πŸ™‚ ha gotta love the ponytail.

keep in touch and you are all in my thoughts and prayers

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                      Participant

Hi,

Well we have our own little group here it seems –  the zelboraf club πŸ™‚ not where we want to be but hoping we all will see good results.  I am glad to have others to help me with side effects and support, as I will be there for all of you.

We have a smaller Dr LAwrence fan club it seems too πŸ™‚ ha gotta love the ponytail.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                        Participant

Hi,

laurie from maine

mombase
                                                          Participant

Buff, with tats, yes…pony tail, not so much!!! devil

mombase
                                                            Participant

mombase
                                                              Participant

shellebrownies
                                                              Participant

Phoenix,

We are from Massachusetts. My husband is 46; his diagnosis came out of nowhere back in March. He had a Stage 1A spot removed from his right shoulder two years ago…and we were told he would be fine. He went to his derm every 6 months like clockwork; nothing was ever found until his lymph node under his arm swelled up like a lemon. Boom, just like that, he was Stage 4. 

Don's spread has been to more lymph nodes in his right shoulder (beyond what was removed), lungs, liver, and bone (bone spread is the worst, with it half way up his spine, his hips, sternum, ribs, etc).

He is also a patient of Dr. Lawrence. I can tell you that our experience with Dr. Lawrence and his team has been phenomenal. If you read our profile, you'll see that we started out at Dana Farber and didn't have a good experience there. It was night and day.

So far, my husband has had chemo (carboplatin/taxol) and started vemurafenib the same week it was FDA approved. He was transitioned to the RX Zelboraf a couple weeks ago.

So far, he has had some small vomiting issues (just a couple times), a pretty good rash (although not too itchy), small warts (none that have been squamous cell yet), some fatigue that comes and goes. He had lost ALL his hair when he had the chemo, so most of it is actually growing back. However, I don't notice nearly as much of the body hair growing back (as opposed to his eyelashes, eyebrows and head hair), and have heard that body hair loss is more common than head hair, although I have heard of some head hair thinning from Zelboraf. 

Zelboraf can have some startling results (in a good way) and I hope you will have that kind of response. Also wishing your radio surgery goes well!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                                                Participant

Phoenix,

Michelle, wife of Don

kateboston
                                                                  Participant

Hey!

I am also 31, living in MA, in the healthcare field and have Dr Lawrence as my oncologist! I also don't know any other melanoma patients. I'm stage 3a and just reached 1 yr NED this August. 

I wish you the best. It's an awful disease and an awful thing to happen when you're so young. Continue to fight and stay positive. You can do this.

BTW – I love all the Dr Lawrence & team love right now – he & Krista and that entire team are amazing. 

kateboston
                                                                    Participant

Hey!

I am also 31, living in MA, in the healthcare field and have Dr Lawrence as my oncologist! I also don't know any other melanoma patients. I'm stage 3a and just reached 1 yr NED this August. 

I wish you the best. It's an awful disease and an awful thing to happen when you're so young. Continue to fight and stay positive. You can do this.

BTW – I love all the Dr Lawrence & team love right now – he & Krista and that entire team are amazing. 

kateboston
                                                                      Participant

Hey!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics