The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed – any link to menstrual cycles, other signs?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed – any link to menstrual cycles, other signs?

Participant

Hi all,

I was was just diagnosed this week. I haven't seen the pathology yet but I've been told that I was lucky and that it was .3mm and stage 1A.  An experienced melanoma surgeon said he would not recommend testing the nodes. It was a shave biopsy but he felt confident in the pathology.

I've never been a hypochondriac and I've always been really healthy but for some reason this diagnosis has me terrified and worried that other recent symptoms could be linked. I'd love any advice from you all as to what I should worry about and investigate or not.

Specifically, I'm worried that my menstrual cycles have been crazy recently – 10-13 day cycles for the past few months with heavy bleeding.

I went to the gynecologist recently (but I didn't know yet about the melanoma) – she ordered blood tests that show elevated thyroid and an ultrasound that showed cysts on one ovary but I haven't heard back from her about her analysis of those things.

I have a node in my armpit (opposite side of the melanoma spot on my back) that is enlarged – maybe the size of a big marble and has been for years.

I probably have 20 remaining moles (many have been removed over the years.) The one that was removed didn't look bad to me so now I don't know what I should be looking for.  I'm really worried that I have more melanoma and a worse case somewhere else on my body.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here – I guess I'm just overwhelmed and scared and not sure who can help me to rule out the possibility that the cancer has spread: dermatologist, gynecologist, oncologist, general physician?  Am I worrying too much?  I feel really panicked and not sure what to do.

thank you so much in advance for your help,

katie

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

A .3mm stage 1a lesion has nothing to do with your menstrual cycles.  If you ask how many women have had cysts or thyroid issue or heavy bleeding, it's going to include a huge population of women – much more than those who have had melanoma.  Basically, if you wouldn't have linked your symptoms to melanoma prior to diagnosis, you shouldn't afterwards.  As for your enlarged lymph node, it's just a reactive node.  They enlarge for some reason, and never return to their original size.  Annoying but again not related.  It's hard not to keep things in perspective, but you do have a fantastic prognosis at stage 1a.

KatieB
            Participant

Thank you so much for writing. It is hard to keep things in perspective. I have three kids and the possibility of things turning south has really frightened me. Thank you so much, katie 

VIve
              Participant

I was having veey recent, heavy periods before going to the emergency and being diagnosed. But there were also cysts on the ovaries. However since I'm on the Taf/Mek combo I have no menstrual cycles what makes me happy actually. And was wondering if somebody else experienced the same side effect? 

Btw. some of my moles were also removed for aesthetic reasons without biopsy checks and was wondering if this could be the reason for the melanoma. 

jennunicorn
                Participant

Moles should never be removed and not biopsied, even if they are coming off for esthetic reasons, it is poor practice not to test them. Did you have a mole biopsied and be positive for melanoma, or you never had a mole biopsied but found out you were stage 4 melanoma after it had spread? 

VIve
                  Participant

Yes it's horrific obviously, I had 3 small but convex moles removed without a biopsy because it was in a cosmetic studio.But the reasons for the cancer could be various and complex I think.

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics