The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Newly diagnosed

Participant

Hello,

i was just diagnosed with melanoma a few days ago. Had a mole that I thought looked different and went to a dermatologist. He told me it didn't look like anything but that he would remove it so that I could be rest assured. Got a call 5 days later telling me it was melanoma. I am devastated. My husband and I had plans to start trying for a second baby this summer (have a healthy 1.5 year old). I have no idea what stage I am. I have to go for MOHS surgery on the 19th of June. I'm really hoping I caught it early but I keep wondering how long it's actually been there as cancer. And I keep reading about future pregnancy causing even stage 1 melanomas to metastasize during prenancy with moms ending up with stage 4 shortly after delivery. As if a cancer diagnosis wasn't enough, now I may not be able to have more children. If anyone has any experience dealing with this or any information on the surgery I would greatly appreciate it. I'm still in shock and don't want to think of all of this:(

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

First, don't be devastated!  Don't worry until you know you have something to worry about.  Hopefully you've caught this very early, the Mohs surgery will take care of it, and you can go on with your life with the melanoma beind you.  

Without knowing what your biopsy pathology report says, it is difficult to say what all will need to be done.  Do you have any information on depth, rate of mitosis, ulceration?  Did the doctor say it was "in situ" or stage?  How about Breslow depth?  

We can offer you more infomation if we know more about the lesion.  In the meantime, take a deep breath and realize that most people get early stage melanomas taken care of and never have to worry about that awful word again!  

casagrayson
            Participant

And one more thing — stay off the internet!!!  Most of the things you will read are outdated as new therapies are coming at a rapid rate.  Statistics that you will find are no longer valid.  At this point reading is just putting you through unnecessary anxiety.

Renaehunter
              Participant

Thanks Susan! 

I just went in for my MOHS and all they needed to do was a wide excision. I believe it's stage 1a (Clarks II, .18 Breslow, mitosis 0, no ulceration).

so it was really good news. He said I didn't need to worry about recurrence in future pregnancy. Have to have a follow up in 4 months so he said if everything was normal, to go ahead. However, I've been reading old posts on this forum with people reporting having a very similar diagnosis and then ending up with recurrence at higher stages after the pregnancy so not sure what to think.

casagrayson
                Participant

Remember that the folks on this forum are the ones who were the exceptions to the rule, in many cases. What you won't find on this forum are the ones who had a Stage 1 removed and went on to never have to think about melanoma again.  Celebrate your good news and go on with your life.  Practice good sun habits, be vigilant to watch for changes in the moles you have, and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, and try to put the word "melanoma" on the shelf.

Hugs to you!

casagrayson
                  Participant

Remember that the folks on this forum are the ones who were the exceptions to the rule, in many cases. What you won't find on this forum are the ones who had a Stage 1 removed and went on to never have to think about melanoma again.  Celebrate your good news and go on with your life.  Practice good sun habits, be vigilant to watch for changes in the moles you have, and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, and try to put the word "melanoma" on the shelf.

Hugs to you!

casagrayson
                    Participant

Hugs to you!

natasha
                      Participant

it is massive correlation betweeen pregnancy and melanoma ,some doctors STILL deny that , but some agree. I had nearly the same diagnosys ,melanoma occured during IVF tretament ,which involves ''pregnancy horomones'' injections. IVF felt. I spoke to a lot of doctors in different countries- some of them said – go ahead with another pregnancy , but some said – if you want to be alive – never get pregnant. My dessision – I am 34 ,don't have children and I will never have children . If I had one melanoma during pregnancy , it is huge risk to have another melanoma during another pregnancy.  A lot of melanoma cases happens to pregnant women , I think it is unresposible for doctors still deny that.

natasha
                        Participant

it is massive correlation betweeen pregnancy and melanoma ,some doctors STILL deny that , but some agree. I had nearly the same diagnosys ,melanoma occured during IVF tretament ,which involves ''pregnancy horomones'' injections. IVF felt. I spoke to a lot of doctors in different countries- some of them said – go ahead with another pregnancy , but some said – if you want to be alive – never get pregnant. My dessision – I am 34 ,don't have children and I will never have children . If I had one melanoma during pregnancy , it is huge risk to have another melanoma during another pregnancy.  A lot of melanoma cases happens to pregnant women , I think it is unresposible for doctors still deny that.

natasha
                          Participant

Renaehunter
                            Participant

Thanks Susan! 

I just went in for my MOHS and all they needed to do was a wide excision. I believe it's stage 1a (Clarks II, .18 Breslow, mitosis 0, no ulceration).

so it was really good news. He said I didn't need to worry about recurrence in future pregnancy. Have to have a follow up in 4 months so he said if everything was normal, to go ahead. However, I've been reading old posts on this forum with people reporting having a very similar diagnosis and then ending up with recurrence at higher stages after the pregnancy so not sure what to think.

Renaehunter
                              Participant

Thanks Susan! 

casagrayson
                                Participant

And one more thing — stay off the internet!!!  Most of the things you will read are outdated as new therapies are coming at a rapid rate.  Statistics that you will find are no longer valid.  At this point reading is just putting you through unnecessary anxiety.

casagrayson
                                  Participant

casagrayson
                                  Participant

First, don't be devastated!  Don't worry until you know you have something to worry about.  Hopefully you've caught this very early, the Mohs surgery will take care of it, and you can go on with your life with the melanoma beind you.  

Without knowing what your biopsy pathology report says, it is difficult to say what all will need to be done.  Do you have any information on depth, rate of mitosis, ulceration?  Did the doctor say it was "in situ" or stage?  How about Breslow depth?  

We can offer you more infomation if we know more about the lesion.  In the meantime, take a deep breath and realize that most people get early stage melanomas taken care of and never have to worry about that awful word again!  

casagrayson
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics