The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newbie, needing answers

Forums General Melanoma Community Newbie, needing answers

Participant

Diagnosed w melanoma at the end of October. T3 3.25 and Clark level 4.  

Ok so WEL/SNB were completed on Thursday.  Ended up both underarms were done.  My back feels fine but wow, underarms are tough!  Doctor says I can't wear a bra or deodorant until post op. 

How do you do this in the business world?  I went out and bought big button down shirts and sweaters.  Do people stay home or go to work?  I have long term sick/short term disability insurance but I don't know if this is appropriate or not.  

Ant practicle advice is truly appreciated!  

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

I had both arms done a couple of years ago and what I remember most was how hard the first week was. I had swelling under both arms that looked like oranges had been implanted during the procedure. The second week was better. I wish you the best of luck. Ed

ed williams
          Participant

I had both arms done a couple of years ago and what I remember most was how hard the first week was. I had swelling under both arms that looked like oranges had been implanted during the procedure. The second week was better. I wish you the best of luck. Ed

ed williams
            Participant

Kmiles
                Participant

Thank you! It is good to know this is temporary and I know I knew that before but it helps to hear it again!  Thank you.  How are you now?  

Kmiles
                  Participant

Thank you! It is good to know this is temporary and I know I knew that before but it helps to hear it again!  Thank you.  How are you now?  

Kmiles
                    Participant

Lil0909
                    Participant
                      I took time off work. If you work in a corporate environment, you should def qualify for short term if you want it… but depending on how your recovery goes, you might not need enough time to make the hassle of short term worth it. I used short term. It bought be an extra week that I would have used vacation. I also was in no rush to get back to work, I wanted to just focus on recovery and health. But everyone’s recovery is different!

Regarding not wearing a bra, I wore ribbed tank tops as they are flexible. They are not so tight that they put pressure on your wound, but tight enough to keep dressings in place and feel like you have a little something. Not sure if you have a drain, but the ribbed ranks worked perfectly when I had a drain because the tank would hold the drain in place so it wasn’t flapping around loosely.

Hope that helps! Sorry if this reads weird, typing on my phone.

Kmiles
                        Participant

Thank you!  I appreciate the advice! 

Kmiles
                          Participant

Kmiles
                            Participant

Lil0909
                            Participant
                              I took time off work. If you work in a corporate environment, you should def qualify for short term if you want it… but depending on how your recovery goes, you might not need enough time to make the hassle of short term worth it. I used short term. It bought be an extra week that I would have used vacation. I also was in no rush to get back to work, I wanted to just focus on recovery and health. But everyone’s recovery is different!

Regarding not wearing a bra, I wore ribbed tank tops as they are flexible. They are not so tight that they put pressure on your wound, but tight enough to keep dressings in place and feel like you have a little something. Not sure if you have a drain, but the ribbed ranks worked perfectly when I had a drain because the tank would hold the drain in place so it wasn’t flapping around loosely.

Lil0909
                              Participant

Kim K
                                Participant

Damn, both sides….

Well imagine this, I had my SNB while still on crutches for ACL surgery.  It was August in Georgia.  Sorry but the no deoderant didn't work so well, and OMG! the stubble from not shaving!!!  All that was too much to bear so I very carefully shaved around the incision and likewise placed my deoderant.  I plucked my pit hairs near the incision for comfort.

My stubble, the stink and sweat made my incision worse I think and I felt so much better after I took care of business on my own.  Yes it was against Dr.'s orders but for me personally, was much needed.  I also worked with the general public as a relief veterinarian which made it harder since I wasn't the "regular" doc.  To stink and sweat as well as come on in with stiches on my back, right armpit, on crutches, and sutures in my knee that weren't even the same color was too much – LOL.

Just be careful, but I couldn't stand being a stinky, sweaty cactus.

Best of luck, hoping for NED.

Hugs,

Kim

Kim K
                                  Participant

Damn, both sides….

Well imagine this, I had my SNB while still on crutches for ACL surgery.  It was August in Georgia.  Sorry but the no deoderant didn't work so well, and OMG! the stubble from not shaving!!!  All that was too much to bear so I very carefully shaved around the incision and likewise placed my deoderant.  I plucked my pit hairs near the incision for comfort.

My stubble, the stink and sweat made my incision worse I think and I felt so much better after I took care of business on my own.  Yes it was against Dr.'s orders but for me personally, was much needed.  I also worked with the general public as a relief veterinarian which made it harder since I wasn't the "regular" doc.  To stink and sweat as well as come on in with stiches on my back, right armpit, on crutches, and sutures in my knee that weren't even the same color was too much – LOL.

Hugs,

Kim

Kim K
                                    Participant

Damn, both sides….

Hugs,

Kim

Kmiles
                                        Participant

Ok that just made me laugh out loud!  I'm in Georgia too and I have already thanked God it isn't summer!  I had no idea how to plan for this but thank you for making this funny and easier to deal with! 

Kmiles
                                          Participant

Ok that just made me laugh out loud!  I'm in Georgia too and I have already thanked God it isn't summer!  I had no idea how to plan for this but thank you for making this funny and easier to deal with! 

Kim K
                                            Participant

I moved back home to Hawaii 7 years ago but lived south of the gnat line for 16!  I don't miss the dog days of summer, but miss the long hours of sunshine, wakeboarding on the Flint River, visiting Hotlanta, Farmer Brown's Elberta peaches, pecans from the orchard, hoppin' john, oysters, Helen GA, river rafting, changing of the seasons, moss in the cypress trees, mist rising from the river in the fall – but not suicidal deer or icy roads…..

I lived in a small area called Drayton, halfway between Vienna & Americus.

I love to piss off my Dr's by finding humor under devastating circumstances.  I always write on my surgery site, and for my WLE / SNB wrote on my back "No gold here, already excavated".  My idiot derm did a WLE PRIOR to an SNB, hell he didn't even mention it.

I am bound and determined to DO mel and not let it DO me come #ell or high water.  I will go down kicking and screaming to the end.  In this case I was the big dog and won.  My mel peed itself and dissappeared down its hidey hole to never come out again.  I only wish more can say the same.

I had a 2.06 mm, Clark IV back in 2002.  Progressed to IV in 2009, VATS and IL-2 (23 bags) in 2010, and NED again since 6/2010.

Wishing you the best.  Always laugh at smurfy blue pee…..

Kim K
                                              Participant

I moved back home to Hawaii 7 years ago but lived south of the gnat line for 16!  I don't miss the dog days of summer, but miss the long hours of sunshine, wakeboarding on the Flint River, visiting Hotlanta, Farmer Brown's Elberta peaches, pecans from the orchard, hoppin' john, oysters, Helen GA, river rafting, changing of the seasons, moss in the cypress trees, mist rising from the river in the fall – but not suicidal deer or icy roads…..

I love to piss off my Dr's by finding humor under devastating circumstances.  I always write on my surgery site, and for my WLE / SNB wrote on my back "No gold here, already excavated".  My idiot derm did a WLE PRIOR to an SNB, hell he didn't even mention it.

I am bound and determined to DO mel and not let it DO me come #ell or high water.  I will go down kicking and screaming to the end.  In this case I was the big dog and won.  My mel peed itself and dissappeared down its hidey hole to never come out again.  I only wish more can say the same.

I had a 2.06 mm, Clark IV back in 2002.  Progressed to IV in 2009, VATS and IL-2 (23 bags) in 2010, and NED again since 6/2010.

Kim K
                                                Participant

Kmiles
                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics