The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New York Times article

Forums General Melanoma Community New York Times article

Inactive

Amy Harmon of the The New York Times has another story on melanoma research that was posted last night.  It focuses on the role patients play in finding a cure and features MRF grant recipient Dr.

Amy Harmon of the The New York Times has another story on melanoma research that was posted last night.  It focuses on the role patients play in finding a cure and features MRF grant recipient Dr. Roger Lo.  This latest in the NY Times’ ongoing coverage of melanoma focuses on the role that patients have in solving the problem of tumor resistance.  Please sign-in and use the “E-mail” button to the right of the article to pass it along.  This will keep the article at the top of the “most e-mailed” list on the NYT website and bring more attention to the urgent needs that melanoma patients have: http://nyti.ms/g0VPWD

Happy Holidays!

MRF  

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

I wish someone from the MRF would contact Ms. Harmon with a factual correction – she states Dr. Lo received a grant from the Melanoma Research Alliance, rather than the MRF.

EmilyandMike
            Participant
              Katy… I hope the NY times would not make such a mistake because all of these orgs deserve such praise. http://www.melanomaresearchalliance.org/

Anyway, it is another great article from Amy. Peggy was one of the people mentioned in the article and I followed her struggle to help her brother stay alive on the boards at MIF (melanoma international foundation) and perhaps here also. It was nice to see their memories live on. I want to thank everyone who has participated in a clinical trial. I know in my heart that melanoma patients will be a major part of finding a cure for all cancers.

Jan in OC
              Participant

I spoke with Amy while she was writing the article because my husband was participating in this small trial with Dr Lo (he took a before sample).  We did not find out until last week that my husband failed the BRAF trial.  Dr Lo will take another sample next week to continue this research.  I only wish Amy had written more information on future options.  

Jan

Jan in OC
                Participant

I spoke with Amy while she was writing the article because my husband was participating in this small trial with Dr Lo (he took a before sample).  We did not find out until last week that my husband failed the BRAF trial.  Dr Lo will take another sample next week to continue this research.  I only wish Amy had written more information on future options.  

Jan

EmilyandMike
                  Participant
                    Katy… I hope the NY times would not make such a mistake because all of these orgs deserve such praise. http://www.melanomaresearchalliance.org/

Anyway, it is another great article from Amy. Peggy was one of the people mentioned in the article and I followed her struggle to help her brother stay alive on the boards at MIF (melanoma international foundation) and perhaps here also. It was nice to see their memories live on. I want to thank everyone who has participated in a clinical trial. I know in my heart that melanoma patients will be a major part of finding a cure for all cancers.

Charlie S
                    Participant

http://www.melanomaresearchalliance.org/mra_research/TSA/2010awards.html 

Not so fast,  Katy, actually Dr. Lo did receive a 2010 grant from the Melanoma Research Alliance as well as the MRF and others.

Hi study team looked at "Studies in the Mechanism(s) of de novo and acquired resistance to selective RAF Inhibition"

The link above will take you directly to the source.

Silly facts.

Charlie S
                      Participant

http://www.melanomaresearchalliance.org/mra_research/TSA/2010awards.html 

Not so fast,  Katy, actually Dr. Lo did receive a 2010 grant from the Melanoma Research Alliance as well as the MRF and others.

Hi study team looked at "Studies in the Mechanism(s) of de novo and acquired resistance to selective RAF Inhibition"

The link above will take you directly to the source.

Silly facts.

KatyWI
                      Participant

I wish someone from the MRF would contact Ms. Harmon with a factual correction – she states Dr. Lo received a grant from the Melanoma Research Alliance, rather than the MRF.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics