The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

new twist on rash

Forums General Melanoma Community new twist on rash

Participant

To recap, I was an unsuccessful Yervoy patient and went almost straight into an anti-PD1 trial. I did the 2 rounds of infusions every 2 weeks for 12 weeks each, ending almost 3 months ago. So I am a week away from my first maintenance infusion.  I have had intermittent itching ever since the Yervoy. It subsided somewhat but has been mostly on my shins/calves.  The last few days it has appeared on my upper arms worse in the tricep area. Are others experiencing a nomadic rash and/or a rash lingering this long after no infusions for 3 months?

To recap, I was an unsuccessful Yervoy patient and went almost straight into an anti-PD1 trial. I did the 2 rounds of infusions every 2 weeks for 12 weeks each, ending almost 3 months ago. So I am a week away from my first maintenance infusion.  I have had intermittent itching ever since the Yervoy. It subsided somewhat but has been mostly on my shins/calves.  The last few days it has appeared on my upper arms worse in the tricep area. Are others experiencing a nomadic rash and/or a rash lingering this long after no infusions for 3 months?  Any opinions on whether this is still a Yervoy side-effect or more likely from the anti-PD1?   Dan

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Girrrrrl!  I mean….Dan!  I've been itching for day, weeks, months, years…..  To be serious….It comes and goes…but, it is just part of my world.  I am now almost 2 years into my anti-PD1 trial…the past year and one half of which have been every 3 months.  What's weird…is that sometimes most of the itching (and arthralgias and fatigue and mouth ulcers) ocurr just after infusion…but sometimes…as in this round…are huge flares right before I am to go back to Moffitt for more bug juice.  Hang in there.  I'm not sure topical hydrocortisone is that helpful, though I use it.  Benadryl at night helps.  Best, Celeste

audgator
            Participant

Hi Bubbles!  When on ipi, I went through a lot of hydrocortisone (&$$$) but I found that relief was short lived and that cheaper skin lotion worked just as well.  I favor a generic brand similar to Gold Bond, but others will do. I get scanned at Moffitt a week from today with treatment & Dr. visit the next day.   Dan

Bubbles
              Participant

You're right.  Just keeping greased up with any product is probably the most help.  Good luck on your scans and treatment.  I'll be getting my scans at the end of next week and go back down to Moffitt for my turn in the CRU the week after that.  C

Bubbles
                Participant

You're right.  Just keeping greased up with any product is probably the most help.  Good luck on your scans and treatment.  I'll be getting my scans at the end of next week and go back down to Moffitt for my turn in the CRU the week after that.  C

Bubbles
                  Participant

audgator
                    Participant

Hi Bubbles!  When on ipi, I went through a lot of hydrocortisone (&$$$) but I found that relief was short lived and that cheaper skin lotion worked just as well.  I favor a generic brand similar to Gold Bond, but others will do. I get scanned at Moffitt a week from today with treatment & Dr. visit the next day.   Dan

audgator
                      Participant

Bubbles
                      Participant

Girrrrrl!  I mean….Dan!  I've been itching for day, weeks, months, years…..  To be serious….It comes and goes…but, it is just part of my world.  I am now almost 2 years into my anti-PD1 trial…the past year and one half of which have been every 3 months.  What's weird…is that sometimes most of the itching (and arthralgias and fatigue and mouth ulcers) ocurr just after infusion…but sometimes…as in this round…are huge flares right before I am to go back to Moffitt for more bug juice.  Hang in there.  I'm not sure topical hydrocortisone is that helpful, though I use it.  Benadryl at night helps.  Best, Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

kylez
                          Participant

Hi Dan,

I don't have know if what you're expereriencing is like my experienes or different. I've been treated with IL-2 and Yervoy bu not anti-PD1.

I get rashes on predominantly on my calves, fingers, and (less so) back of elbows. These are all areas that get a lot of contact — and therefore irritation? — with clothing as I walk, tops of my fingers rubbing against the insides of pockets, etc. all day long. 

The finger rashes started around when I moved into a house with pets, 3-4 years before any immunotherapy.

But the leg rashes became really noticable at first during IL-2, and then changed slightly in character but continued as strongly after IPI.

I use odorless/dye-less detergent. But I still end up resorting to corticosteroid creams (e.g., desenide), or at other times another type of non-steroidal ointment (Protopic) to keep the outbreaks under control, especially on my calves and fingers. 

kylez
                            Participant

Hi Dan,

I don't have know if what you're expereriencing is like my experienes or different. I've been treated with IL-2 and Yervoy bu not anti-PD1.

I get rashes on predominantly on my calves, fingers, and (less so) back of elbows. These are all areas that get a lot of contact — and therefore irritation? — with clothing as I walk, tops of my fingers rubbing against the insides of pockets, etc. all day long. 

The finger rashes started around when I moved into a house with pets, 3-4 years before any immunotherapy.

But the leg rashes became really noticable at first during IL-2, and then changed slightly in character but continued as strongly after IPI.

I use odorless/dye-less detergent. But I still end up resorting to corticosteroid creams (e.g., desenide), or at other times another type of non-steroidal ointment (Protopic) to keep the outbreaks under control, especially on my calves and fingers. 

kylez
                              Participant

Hi Dan,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics