The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to this forum..recently diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community New to this forum..recently diagnosed

Participant
      I was recently diagnosed with melanoma, 1.03mm no ulceration, Clark level 4. Dr scheduled me for a wide excision and lymph node biopsy. I haven’t had so much as a cold for well over 2 years and now this. Lymph nodes are not swollen. If this has spread would I necessarily have not felt good since it would be in my lymphatic system? Is this early stages? Any advice or words to calm my nerves are appreciated.
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Chendo82
        Participant

I was just diagnosed at the beginning of July. Mine was .43 and Clarks level 3 with no ulceration. They just did my wife excision and lymph node biopsy a week ago. My nodes weren't swollen at all but I have been feeling kinda blah: I was relieved to find out they took 6 and they were all clean. My staging is 1b. Everyone's advice to me was to not panic until there is something to panic about. I know it's so hard as it was hard for me but I found things to keep me busy until this was all over. 

Chendo82
          Participant

I was just diagnosed at the beginning of July. Mine was .43 and Clarks level 3 with no ulceration. They just did my wife excision and lymph node biopsy a week ago. My nodes weren't swollen at all but I have been feeling kinda blah: I was relieved to find out they took 6 and they were all clean. My staging is 1b. Everyone's advice to me was to not panic until there is something to panic about. I know it's so hard as it was hard for me but I found things to keep me busy until this was all over. 

Chendo82
            Participant

sadlerla
                Participant

Thank you so much for the encouraging words.  I am attempting to keep myself as busy as possible and have banned myself from the internet research.  I have found that every case is different so there really is no text book case out there (at least that I have found).  I am a Christian and praying everyday that everything comes back normal and I can move on without any further treatment.  If that isn't the case I take comfort in knowing I have a huge support team.

sadlerla
                  Participant

Thank you so much for the encouraging words.  I am attempting to keep myself as busy as possible and have banned myself from the internet research.  I have found that every case is different so there really is no text book case out there (at least that I have found).  I am a Christian and praying everyday that everything comes back normal and I can move on without any further treatment.  If that isn't the case I take comfort in knowing I have a huge support team.

sadlerla
                    Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

If it is in your lymph nodes you wouldn't feel any different than normal. I didn't feel anything wrong with me and my SLNB came out with 3 positive lymph nodes. They were microscopic so the melanoma was only seen through microscope. Some people have macroscopic which can be visible by the naked eye when removed, seen on scans, and sometimes, depending on location, felt swollen from the outside. But wouldn't make one feel like they were sick or anything.

The best thing you can do is try and not overthink things right now. You have no clue what your SLNB results will be at this point. You feel healthy, so focus on that. Take things one step at a time because that's all any of us can do. 

All the best,

sadlerla
                        Participant

You are so right.  I am allowing this to steal my joy of each day and I cannot do that anymore.  What are the treatments like for stage 3?  Are there major side affects?

sadlerla
                          Participant

You are so right.  I am allowing this to steal my joy of each day and I cannot do that anymore.  What are the treatments like for stage 3?  Are there major side affects?

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Yervoy (Ipi) is the newest FDA approved option for stage 3. And there are clinical trials testing the other immunotherapy drugs for stage 3. There are side effects but not everyone experiences the same side effects, some get almost none and some get a lot and have to stop treatment. No need to go into much detail now unless you need it. 

Try to focus on a healthy positive outcome for now, and we can tackle your options after you get results of your SLNB if needed.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Yervoy (Ipi) is the newest FDA approved option for stage 3. And there are clinical trials testing the other immunotherapy drugs for stage 3. There are side effects but not everyone experiences the same side effects, some get almost none and some get a lot and have to stop treatment. No need to go into much detail now unless you need it. 

Try to focus on a healthy positive outcome for now, and we can tackle your options after you get results of your SLNB if needed.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                Participant

All the best,

sadlerla
                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

If it is in your lymph nodes you wouldn't feel any different than normal. I didn't feel anything wrong with me and my SLNB came out with 3 positive lymph nodes. They were microscopic so the melanoma was only seen through microscope. Some people have macroscopic which can be visible by the naked eye when removed, seen on scans, and sometimes, depending on location, felt swollen from the outside. But wouldn't make one feel like they were sick or anything.

The best thing you can do is try and not overthink things right now. You have no clue what your SLNB results will be at this point. You feel healthy, so focus on that. Take things one step at a time because that's all any of us can do. 

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

All the best,

Joycem
                                      Participant

Hi, 

Sorry for what's brought you here, but this forum has been very helpful. I had my excision and biopsy 3 weeks ago, and expected bad news. (Depth of 8.. Mitotic rate 10 on shave biopsy, surgeon said my lymph nodes were swollen but might be from biopsy).

3 nodes removed, No melanoma in any of them. So you just never know until you know.  I read too much, worried too much. My surgery was also on upper arm, and was not bad at all. Most of the discomfort was/ is from biopsy, and was very manageable with mostly just Tylenol and Advil, I took prescription pain reliever at night the first few days but I'm not sure I even needed it then. 

Don't look much at online stats.. They are out of date and don't reflect you or new treatments becoming available recently. Your good health shows you have a good immune system which will be an asset no matter your staging after excision and biopsy. 

Best wishes and prayers for good news following your surgery! Stay busy to take your mind off the waiting. I found endorphins from exercising really helped me stay positive (and I am not at all athletic)

Joyce. 

sadlerla
                                          Participant

The first thing the doctor told me was that having it on my extremeties is better than anywhere else.  Mine is on my lower left arm.  I am trying to stay positive and keep myself super busy.  I practically live at the gym.  I workout 6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day.  I have a huge support group there and they are always checking in with me.  I feel so much better when I finish my workouts and so much more positive.  I am hoping that my strong immune system and healthy lifestyle will work in my favor on this one.  This is by far the scariest thing I have ever had to go through.

sadlerla
                                            Participant

The first thing the doctor told me was that having it on my extremeties is better than anywhere else.  Mine is on my lower left arm.  I am trying to stay positive and keep myself super busy.  I practically live at the gym.  I workout 6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day.  I have a huge support group there and they are always checking in with me.  I feel so much better when I finish my workouts and so much more positive.  I am hoping that my strong immune system and healthy lifestyle will work in my favor on this one.  This is by far the scariest thing I have ever had to go through.

sadlerla
                                              Participant

Joycem
                                              Participant

Hi, 

Sorry for what's brought you here, but this forum has been very helpful. I had my excision and biopsy 3 weeks ago, and expected bad news. (Depth of 8.. Mitotic rate 10 on shave biopsy, surgeon said my lymph nodes were swollen but might be from biopsy).

3 nodes removed, No melanoma in any of them. So you just never know until you know.  I read too much, worried too much. My surgery was also on upper arm, and was not bad at all. Most of the discomfort was/ is from biopsy, and was very manageable with mostly just Tylenol and Advil, I took prescription pain reliever at night the first few days but I'm not sure I even needed it then. 

Don't look much at online stats.. They are out of date and don't reflect you or new treatments becoming available recently. Your good health shows you have a good immune system which will be an asset no matter your staging after excision and biopsy. 

Best wishes and prayers for good news following your surgery! Stay busy to take your mind off the waiting. I found endorphins from exercising really helped me stay positive (and I am not at all athletic)

Joyce. 

Joycem
                                                Participant

Hi, 

Joyce. 

Kim K
                                                  Participant

Not much more to add other than some people feel itchiness at the mole or pain but that is usually when much deeper.  By the time most feel symptoms ex. a seizure, they are stage IV.  You still have an early stage so hopefully a negative node.  

KK

Kim K
                                                    Participant

Not much more to add other than some people feel itchiness at the mole or pain but that is usually when much deeper.  By the time most feel symptoms ex. a seizure, they are stage IV.  You still have an early stage so hopefully a negative node.  

KK

Kim K
                                                      Participant

KK

brewgirl68
                                                        Participant

I am Stage 3c with an unknown primary – found a swollen axillary lymph node by chance. Had a CLND, 5 out of 14 nodes positive. Prior to dx, I never felt bad/sick/unusual and my blood work has always been totally normal. That's the case for a lot of us. Melanoma is a sneaky bastard.

brewgirl68
                                                          Participant

I am Stage 3c with an unknown primary – found a swollen axillary lymph node by chance. Had a CLND, 5 out of 14 nodes positive. Prior to dx, I never felt bad/sick/unusual and my blood work has always been totally normal. That's the case for a lot of us. Melanoma is a sneaky bastard.

brewgirl68
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics