The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to site

Forums General Melanoma Community New to site

Participant

Hello everyone,

i just wanted to say hi to all.  I was diagnosed as stage 3B in 2014 and was progression free until last month. A PET scan showed 4 lesions, one in each of my lungs. Insurance here in Switzerland will only allow Ipi monotherapy and, if I don't respond, then I would go on Keytruda.  My question is, are there any trials currently ongoing within Europe on the combination?   From what I have seen and based on recommendations from the US, I should fight for the combo, but don't want to wait too much longer to start a treatment.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Mike Baker

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Mike, first off welcome to the forum! I know in Canada, where the combination of Ipi and Nivo was first made available 2 years ago, as part of the clinical trial checkmate 67. If I were you I would contact Bristol Myer Squibb directly and ask if you would qualify for their expanded access program. Best wishes!!! Ed

Smilgon
            Participant

Thank you Ed, I hadn't even though of contacting the drug manufacturer directly.  I will do so today.  I think my biggest problem is insurance.  If I had some in the US, I could figure out a way to fly back and get into a treatment program, but without insurance, I couldn't pay for it.  

Sincerely,

Mike Baker

Smilgon
              Participant

Thank you Ed, I hadn't even though of contacting the drug manufacturer directly.  I will do so today.  I think my biggest problem is insurance.  If I had some in the US, I could figure out a way to fly back and get into a treatment program, but without insurance, I couldn't pay for it.  

Sincerely,

Mike Baker

Smilgon
                Participant

Sincerely,

Mike Baker

ed williams
                Participant

Hi Mike, first off welcome to the forum! I know in Canada, where the combination of Ipi and Nivo was first made available 2 years ago, as part of the clinical trial checkmate 67. If I were you I would contact Bristol Myer Squibb directly and ask if you would qualify for their expanded access program. Best wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
                  Participant

melj
                    Participant

Mike, I live in the UK and started pembro in January at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London. It's one of.the top cancer hospitals in Europe and are involved in many trials. Many of the patients I meet and talk to are on trials. Try contacting the Marsden to check if they have any open trials for you. Very best wishes. Mel J

melj
                      Participant

Mike, I live in the UK and started pembro in January at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London. It's one of.the top cancer hospitals in Europe and are involved in many trials. Many of the patients I meet and talk to are on trials. Try contacting the Marsden to check if they have any open trials for you. Very best wishes. Mel J

melj
                        Participant

JuTMSY4
                          Participant

Hi Mike,

I wanted to chime in that when I was diagnosed with Stage IV, I went through the (formerly standard) ipi -> Keytruda infusions.  I benefitted from it greatly and it's difficult to determine whether subsequent treatments rather than combo treatments are preferable.  I believe the combo is only being tested versus Nivo alone and I think that means that the combo trials require you to have not done ipi.  

To that end, it may be worth considering the ipi (and if failed) keytruda route.  I'm not sure if there's a "sequencing" trial or not, but when I discussed it with my doc, she suggested that at least a few people think sequencing them may be preferable to keytruda alone.  

Either way, best of luck.  It looks like you're trying to make the most educated and best decision you can.  

-Justin

JuTMSY4
                            Participant

Hi Mike,

I wanted to chime in that when I was diagnosed with Stage IV, I went through the (formerly standard) ipi -> Keytruda infusions.  I benefitted from it greatly and it's difficult to determine whether subsequent treatments rather than combo treatments are preferable.  I believe the combo is only being tested versus Nivo alone and I think that means that the combo trials require you to have not done ipi.  

To that end, it may be worth considering the ipi (and if failed) keytruda route.  I'm not sure if there's a "sequencing" trial or not, but when I discussed it with my doc, she suggested that at least a few people think sequencing them may be preferable to keytruda alone.  

Either way, best of luck.  It looks like you're trying to make the most educated and best decision you can.  

-Justin

JuTMSY4
                              Participant

Hi Mike,

-Justin

Maria C
                                Participant

Hi Mike,

I agree you should fight for the combo if it's at all possible. My onc originally wanted to start me on a mono-therapy (nivo only), but after second and third opinions I was convinced the combo was the way to go, rather than mono or sequential. But it's a tough regiment and can really do a number on your system, so depending on how aggressive your melanoma is some might recommend starting off with nivo first and watch closely for disease progression.

Not sure your options in Europe and/or on your insurance…but you're asking the right questions!!

Best of luck, 

Maria C
                                  Participant

Hi Mike,

I agree you should fight for the combo if it's at all possible. My onc originally wanted to start me on a mono-therapy (nivo only), but after second and third opinions I was convinced the combo was the way to go, rather than mono or sequential. But it's a tough regiment and can really do a number on your system, so depending on how aggressive your melanoma is some might recommend starting off with nivo first and watch closely for disease progression.

Not sure your options in Europe and/or on your insurance…but you're asking the right questions!!

Best of luck, 

Maria C
                                    Participant

Hi Mike,

Best of luck, 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics