The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New scar tissue after 3 months WLE/SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community New scar tissue after 3 months WLE/SLNB

Participant

Hello! I had a WLE and a SLNB on Sept 5th. While I still look like a mess, I've been assured I'm healing nicely. Margins were clear and biopsy negative. I have a 10" winding scar and still have swelling. I keep it wrapped and compressed as the scar is still very tender and sensitive. Overall though I had been feeling pretty good. For about a week I have started to have more discomfort and pain in the scar. First noticed it while sleeping. Would wake up from discomfort. I can feel small bumps that feel like scar tissue under the scar and wound area. I had scar tissue with my SLNB that dissolved quickly. Would it be normal for scar tissue to develop 3 months after the WLE? It would explain the bumps and the tenderness but part of me is nervous about recurrence and watches every little development. Thank you for any insight. 

Noel

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

I had small bump near my scar-turned out to be a nerve bundle that balled up from all the cutting they did. I had them remove it and test it just to be sure. It happened after my initial wle had sealed shut but before I was completely healed

guynamedbilly
          Participant

Could it be that you just didn't notice the scar tissue that was already there because the whole area was swollen, and now that the swelling has gone down, it's easier to notice?

I have a small hematoma under one scar that didn't bother me at all for the first two months after surgery, but then it started itching for a few weeks, and hasn't bothered me since.

Hawthorne7304
              Participant

Thank you for the replies. I do feel something has changed. There is also a small white nodule that's developed I just noticed. Looks like a zit but it's not. Who knows. Going to call nurse today I think. I feel like Melanoma is so sneaky and grows so fast I have to worry about every little thing. Would be great to be free of the worry. 

Alce123
                Participant
                  It could be a stitch abscess. I had one develop about 2-3 months after the WLE surgery (I had about 40 dissolvable stitches that took forever to dissolve). It looked like a pimple. It drained pus and then went away on its own. However, they can become serious so I would let your surgeon know.
                  Hawthorne7304
                  Participant

Yes! Just spoke to the nurse and she said given how long it took the wound to close up new scar tissue at this point would be normal. She also said that white nodule was most likely from a dissolvable stitch. At this point it doesn't hurt so I can just watch it. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics