The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New nodule removed

Forums General Melanoma Community New nodule removed

Participant

this is the second positive nodule removed in about 90 days. I did opt for wait and see after visiting my oncologist. PET scan in 2 weeks and i am having second thoughts about Interferon. I am now going from stage 3 a to stage 3 b. I feel like i need to do something vs. wait and see. My oncologist seems to not be a fan of interferon. Those of you who have had interferon at my staging would you do it again? Would you do the wait and see?

this is the second positive nodule removed in about 90 days. I did opt for wait and see after visiting my oncologist. PET scan in 2 weeks and i am having second thoughts about Interferon. I am now going from stage 3 a to stage 3 b. I feel like i need to do something vs. wait and see. My oncologist seems to not be a fan of interferon. Those of you who have had interferon at my staging would you do it again? Would you do the wait and see?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mama1960
        Participant

Just based on the fact that would rather be able to I did everything I could, I did the Interferon for the entire year at stage II.

That was four years ago, and I just became stage three in the last couple of months. I like to think the good four years in between were in part because I did the Interferon. I have no proof of this, But I would rather regret something I did, than something I maybe should have,

mama1960
          Participant

Just based on the fact that would rather be able to I did everything I could, I did the Interferon for the entire year at stage II.

That was four years ago, and I just became stage three in the last couple of months. I like to think the good four years in between were in part because I did the Interferon. I have no proof of this, But I would rather regret something I did, than something I maybe should have,

mama1960
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

Interferon is for people who are NED (no evidence of disease).  It's an adjuvant therapy.  At this point, it seems like it is possible you might still have active disease.  I'd probably be looking for a clinical trial possibility.  There are some that compare Interferon to Yervoy and in your situation, the Yervoy might be a good choice.

thrashter
                  Participant

thanks for the reply. Got results of Nodule removal it was positive for melanoma have clear margins once again. I have started looking for trials. I will have a PET scan in two weeks now that surgery is done and then visit with oncologist from there

Mandi0280
                    Participant

You def need to see what your PET scan shows and go from there. That way you can see what your options are. My husband has done Yervoy ( through a trial…but think that is closed now & you had to be NED) & he has also done interferon while NED. Trials require specific things like being NED or no previous treatments…ect. So get your scan results and see where you stand. My husband coudn't  do the "wait and see" but according to our occologist at Vanderbilt many people choose that option…just depends on the person.

Mandi0280
                      Participant

You def need to see what your PET scan shows and go from there. That way you can see what your options are. My husband has done Yervoy ( through a trial…but think that is closed now & you had to be NED) & he has also done interferon while NED. Trials require specific things like being NED or no previous treatments…ect. So get your scan results and see where you stand. My husband coudn't  do the "wait and see" but according to our occologist at Vanderbilt many people choose that option…just depends on the person.

Mandi0280
                        Participant

thrashter
                          Participant

thanks for the reply. Got results of Nodule removal it was positive for melanoma have clear margins once again. I have started looking for trials. I will have a PET scan in two weeks now that surgery is done and then visit with oncologist from there

thrashter
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Interferon is for people who are NED (no evidence of disease).  It's an adjuvant therapy.  At this point, it seems like it is possible you might still have active disease.  I'd probably be looking for a clinical trial possibility.  There are some that compare Interferon to Yervoy and in your situation, the Yervoy might be a good choice.

Janner
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics