The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Moles? Trip to the derm?

Forums General Melanoma Community New Moles? Trip to the derm?

Participant

After my diagnosis, I was at the derm every three months and now I am at the derm every six.  However, while I am pregnant, he wants to see me every three months. I was there right before delivering my son last week.

I noticed while nursing that I have a new mole under my breast. Lets just say this mole is not a result of sun exposure 🙂 Because of the odd place, I do not think the derm checked this mole in my last visit. Its not visitable on our pictures and I do not remember him looking there..

After my diagnosis, I was at the derm every three months and now I am at the derm every six.  However, while I am pregnant, he wants to see me every three months. I was there right before delivering my son last week.

I noticed while nursing that I have a new mole under my breast. Lets just say this mole is not a result of sun exposure 🙂 Because of the odd place, I do not think the derm checked this mole in my last visit. Its not visitable on our pictures and I do not remember him looking there..

Needless to say, I am not to worried about it. Its a reddish color, perfectly symmetrical, and has the texture of a skin tag. It looks nothing like what my mel did.

But, I read on a website that any new mole should be reported to the derm immediately regardless of what it looks like. Although this is good advice, I am wondering since I am pretty educated on mel if this is necessary since I go to the derm as much as I do. I get new moles all the time and I would be in his office at least once a month if I followed this advice. I will do whatever do save my life, but then again, I do not want to drive my derm crazy in the meantime. What do you all do?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

Hi! I would not worry a lot but better to show this mole to your doc. Pregnancy makes a lot of difference in our body and I had my melanoma developed during pregnancy.

natasha
          Participant

Hi! I would not worry a lot but better to show this mole to your doc. Pregnancy makes a lot of difference in our body and I had my melanoma developed during pregnancy.

natasha
            Participant

EmilyandMike
              Participant

I know a number of people diagnosed during or after pregnancy. 

Now this might be controversial – and I dont know if I would use it myself, but it is an option ..there is a new phone app that you can use called "SpotCheck".  What you do is take a pic of the suspect mole and it is sent it to a dermatologist to review.  They ask questions about the mole also – like "does it itch" and then recommend if you should get it checked.  It costs $5 to send a pic in.

I am kind of torn about this app – while I think this might work for some people – those that dont have health insurance – I think that everyone should visit a real derm in person once a year.

natasha
                  Participant

I was even told by Doc not to become pregnant during next 3 years after diagnosys…

natasha
                    Participant

I was even told by Doc not to become pregnant during next 3 years after diagnosys…

natasha
                      Participant

EmilyandMike
                      Participant

Now this might be controversial – and I dont know if I would use it myself, but it is an option ..there is a new phone app that you can use called "SpotCheck".  What you do is take a pic of the suspect mole and it is sent it to a dermatologist to review.  They ask questions about the mole also – like "does it itch" and then recommend if you should get it checked.  It costs $5 to send a pic in.

I am kind of torn about this app – while I think this might work for some people – those that dont have health insurance – I think that everyone should visit a real derm in person once a year.

EmilyandMike
                        Participant

jaredmiller16
                          Participant

Its been 9 years since my 1a melanoma was found. 

natasha
                              Participant

Oh ,I see. 9 years is safe time to become pregnant.

I think it is not something serious ,can be pigmentation, but speak with Doc for sure.

natasha
                                Participant

I think it is not something serious ,can be pigmentation, but speak with Doc for sure.

natasha
                                  Participant

jaredmiller16
                                    Participant

I do not mess around when it comes to mel. I have researched this cancer till I was blue in the face. I am very proactive.  Even paid $$$ out of my own pocket for pictures. But, I was hoping to get some advice from fellow molemates on what they do with new moles. Like I said, I get new moles all the time, more when I am not preggers than when I am (even after I swore off the sun), but am questioning if I need to make a visit to the derm for every new mole.

About spotcheck. Interesting. Like you, I am on the fence. I know so many people who failed to visit the derm because of insurance and are now at advanced stages. Then again, my derm uses the dermascope with all my moles. Interesting.

jaredmiller16
                                      Participant

I do not mess around when it comes to mel. I have researched this cancer till I was blue in the face. I am very proactive.  Even paid $$$ out of my own pocket for pictures. But, I was hoping to get some advice from fellow molemates on what they do with new moles. Like I said, I get new moles all the time, more when I am not preggers than when I am (even after I swore off the sun), but am questioning if I need to make a visit to the derm for every new mole.

About spotcheck. Interesting. Like you, I am on the fence. I know so many people who failed to visit the derm because of insurance and are now at advanced stages. Then again, my derm uses the dermascope with all my moles. Interesting.

jaredmiller16
                                        Participant

My husband had melanoma too, so we can both be a little parinod when it comes to moles. His mother died of mel a few years ago.

jaredmiller16
                                          Participant

My husband had melanoma too, so we can both be a little parinod when it comes to moles. His mother died of mel a few years ago.

jaredmiller16
                                            Participant

jaredmiller16
                                              Participant

jaredmiller16
                                              Participant

jaredmiller16
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

The advice I was given by the doctor who is doing a "mole mapping" clinical study is:  new and different is of concern.  new and like other moles is ok.  If this mole is new and stands out to you as being strange, it's probably worth running by with your doc.  In the end, I'd do what makes YOU comfortable! 

Janner
                                                    Participant

The advice I was given by the doctor who is doing a "mole mapping" clinical study is:  new and different is of concern.  new and like other moles is ok.  If this mole is new and stands out to you as being strange, it's probably worth running by with your doc.  In the end, I'd do what makes YOU comfortable! 

Cindy33
                                                        Participant

I would be on my way to the dermatologist. I've had to primary mels and docs did not think either one looked suspicious at all. Now they are suspicious of everything, especially any new mole – new mole = changing mole for me. Changing moles are bad and come off. I a little paranoid.

Cindy33
                                                          Participant

I would be on my way to the dermatologist. I've had to primary mels and docs did not think either one looked suspicious at all. Now they are suspicious of everything, especially any new mole – new mole = changing mole for me. Changing moles are bad and come off. I a little paranoid.

Cindy33
                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics