The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Moles ? Second Mel or spread?

Forums General Melanoma Community New Moles ? Second Mel or spread?

Participant

My husband Mike has stage V melanoma. (acral lent. with spread to lung)   He is scheduled for his fourth Yervoy infusion on Tuesday.  Has been tolerating the treatment well with no side effects other than fatigue.  However, he does have several (at least 4)  new mole-like bumps on his upper right leg about the size of a pencil eraser..  (same leg as primary tumor on rt. great toe).  The oncologist agreed that it is most likely melanoma but said that if the moles did not bother him he does not need to remove them at this time.

My husband Mike has stage V melanoma. (acral lent. with spread to lung)   He is scheduled for his fourth Yervoy infusion on Tuesday.  Has been tolerating the treatment well with no side effects other than fatigue.  However, he does have several (at least 4)  new mole-like bumps on his upper right leg about the size of a pencil eraser..  (same leg as primary tumor on rt. great toe).  The oncologist agreed that it is most likely melanoma but said that if the moles did not bother him he does not need to remove them at this time. Thinks they can be used as a marker to measure if the Yervoy is working.  I have been thinking about the situation and I believe it would be better to remove the moles.  Could it not be possible that these moles are a second primary?  What if the Yervoy does not work.  That would mean that these moles will just get bigger and become more invasive.   Although I am not a doctor, these moles look like nodular melanoma to me.  Has anyone else have a similar experience.   Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

Sigrid

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'm hoping you meant your husband is stage IV.  (I guess I always think of stage V as passing on since staging only goes up to 4).

I think the "moles" you are referring to are actually "sub-q's".  Subcutaneous melanoma metastases.  Some people remove them, some don't.  But since he has systemic disease (lung), it isn't likely to change anything unless those are the only places where disease is evident.  Leaving something near the skin surface to monitor the effectiveness of a treatment isn't uncommon.  They are unlikely to be new primaries – and even if they were, the systemic disease of stage IV is much more important than another primary.  Some people remove them only to have more show up.  You can cut them out, but the lungs and spread to other organs are actually the primary worry at this point.

Best wishes,

Janner

Lucassi
            Participant

Janner, thank you for replying.  Yes, my husband is stage IV, my error.  Your explanation makes sense.  We made an appointment with the plastic surgeon that performed my husband's first surgery to have him look at the "new moles".  It is so difficult to "wait and see" if the Yervoy is working.  The oncologist has ordered a CT for mid August, 2 months after the 4th infusion.

Best wishes and thanks again for your reply.

Sigrid 

Lucassi
              Participant

Janner, thank you for replying.  Yes, my husband is stage IV, my error.  Your explanation makes sense.  We made an appointment with the plastic surgeon that performed my husband's first surgery to have him look at the "new moles".  It is so difficult to "wait and see" if the Yervoy is working.  The oncologist has ordered a CT for mid August, 2 months after the 4th infusion.

Sigrid 

Lucassi
                Participant

Sigrid 

Janner
                Participant

I'm hoping you meant your husband is stage IV.  (I guess I always think of stage V as passing on since staging only goes up to 4).

I think the "moles" you are referring to are actually "sub-q's".  Subcutaneous melanoma metastases.  Some people remove them, some don't.  But since he has systemic disease (lung), it isn't likely to change anything unless those are the only places where disease is evident.  Leaving something near the skin surface to monitor the effectiveness of a treatment isn't uncommon.  They are unlikely to be new primaries – and even if they were, the systemic disease of stage IV is much more important than another primary.  Some people remove them only to have more show up.  You can cut them out, but the lungs and spread to other organs are actually the primary worry at this point.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics