The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New member – Vanderbilt tomorrow

Forums General Melanoma Community New member – Vanderbilt tomorrow

Participant

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post their journey! I found this site several weeks ago. My husband (Doug) had a WLE on his back with clear margins. SNB came back with melanoma in one node. They removed the rest under his right arm. All clear. His Dr. suggested interfuron. He is sending us to Vanderbilt for a second opinion.  His pet scan & mri came back normal. We have heard that the side effects of the drug are horrible. We have started juicing in the mornings & have added several supplements, along with a much healthier diet.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post their journey! I found this site several weeks ago. My husband (Doug) had a WLE on his back with clear margins. SNB came back with melanoma in one node. They removed the rest under his right arm. All clear. His Dr. suggested interfuron. He is sending us to Vanderbilt for a second opinion.  His pet scan & mri came back normal. We have heard that the side effects of the drug are horrible. We have started juicing in the mornings & have added several supplements, along with a much healthier diet. We are cutting out preservatives & trying to go more natural. Any advice on further treatments/ interfuron?  Thanks so much, Pepper

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        [email protected]
        Participant

Pepper, 

I was orig dx in June, 2000 with micromets in one node from the SNB and all other 17 nodes they removed were clear.

I did a year of Interferon starting in Aug, 2000. My side effects weren't horrible. I was 35 at the time with a 5 & 7 year old. I was able to work @ 30 hours a week as an accountant and keep up with my kids schedule for the entire year. I had a non-stop headache for a year and was nauseous quite a bit. However, all my side effects were manageable.

I am now over TEN years out with no sign of disease. Was it the Interferon? Was I lucky that just taking out the lymph nodes caused me to be NED? No one will ever know. Please look into other alternatives to Interferon. Some people do have a really hard time during that treatment. However, I would encourage you to consider at least the one month of high dose Interferon before you decide to do nothing. I wanted to point out that quite a few people do fine while on Interferon.

Good luck!

Cara Tindell

Doug-Pepper
            Participant

Cara, thank you so much for the reply. It helps to know what others have been through. Congratulations on being NED for 10 years.  Pepper.

Doug-Pepper
              Participant

Cara, thank you so much for the reply. It helps to know what others have been through. Congratulations on being NED for 10 years.  Pepper.

[email protected]
              Participant

Pepper, 

I was orig dx in June, 2000 with micromets in one node from the SNB and all other 17 nodes they removed were clear.

I did a year of Interferon starting in Aug, 2000. My side effects weren't horrible. I was 35 at the time with a 5 & 7 year old. I was able to work @ 30 hours a week as an accountant and keep up with my kids schedule for the entire year. I had a non-stop headache for a year and was nauseous quite a bit. However, all my side effects were manageable.

I am now over TEN years out with no sign of disease. Was it the Interferon? Was I lucky that just taking out the lymph nodes caused me to be NED? No one will ever know. Please look into other alternatives to Interferon. Some people do have a really hard time during that treatment. However, I would encourage you to consider at least the one month of high dose Interferon before you decide to do nothing. I wanted to point out that quite a few people do fine while on Interferon.

Good luck!

Cara Tindell

dian in spokane
                Participant

welcome to the board pepper.

Good luck to you and your husband. If he goes with the interferon, the best advice I can give is to double his water intake

Lots of water helps

dian in spokane
                  Participant

welcome to the board pepper.

Good luck to you and your husband. If he goes with the interferon, the best advice I can give is to double his water intake

Lots of water helps

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics