The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New member (sad to say)

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community New member (sad to say)

Participant

I posted this in the MPIP page and it was suggested that I also post here.

Hello

I posted this in the MPIP page and it was suggested that I also post here.

Hello

In 2006 I was diagnosed with ocular malanoma in my left eye. Soon there after I had plaque surgery at Jules Stein Eye Institute. I did lose most vision in that eye but was glad to be alive. One year ago in Dec, my yearly CT scan showed 5 small (1.2cm) spots on my abdomine. Six months later in June they showed no growth. This past Dec the CT scan intecated that at least one of the spots had grown (1.7cm) A biopsy was ordered and showed that it was melanoma. 

I have recetly gone to USC Norris Cancer Center and my Doctor there (Dr Wong) has recomended that I start  Yervoy infussion as treatment against the melanoma. I have read so many horrific side effects that I am now seeking others that may have gone through this tratment.

My question is simple…what are your feelings about this treatmeant, and what others might you recomend?

Not sure if my condition makes any difference, but here it is anyway.
      I am a 59 year old male in good to great health (other than the melanoma) I am 5'9' and weigh 160. I am on a mostly glutten free diet, very little meat
      I exercise 4 to 5 times a week….weight lifting and cycling. Never smoked. I havent even been sick in the last 15 years (the flu was the last illness) 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        edamaser
        Participant

Welcome to our community.  I have just had two go rounds with Yervoy, that is two rounds of four infusions each.  The side effects have been minimal–rashes that come and go, itching, occasional diarrhea, and fatigue.  Yervoy has a good track record of holding lesions stable (bigger percent responders than many other treatments), but each person's reaction is different.

When you say you have abdominal lesions, do you mean in the liver?  If so, a direct liver attack may be a better approach than a systemic one at this point.

This is a murky field–trying to figure out the "best" thing to do.  If you ask five people you will get 10 answers. 

Good luck, ask questions, a lot of them,

Esther

edamaser
          Participant

Welcome to our community.  I have just had two go rounds with Yervoy, that is two rounds of four infusions each.  The side effects have been minimal–rashes that come and go, itching, occasional diarrhea, and fatigue.  Yervoy has a good track record of holding lesions stable (bigger percent responders than many other treatments), but each person's reaction is different.

When you say you have abdominal lesions, do you mean in the liver?  If so, a direct liver attack may be a better approach than a systemic one at this point.

This is a murky field–trying to figure out the "best" thing to do.  If you ask five people you will get 10 answers. 

Esther

edamaser
            Participant

Esther

Jinx
                Participant

It is in the fatty tissue of my abdomine. There are about 5 small (1.5cm) lesions, but none are in any organ. They did say that they expected it to go to my liver, but that this was unusal for it go where it has.

Ester…have you seen any other more severe side effects of Yervoy on this forum? If so, what were they?

lak
                  Participant

Hi,

It is unusual for OM not to go to the liver first but not unheard of.

I would ask your doctors to test the lesion for the BRAF gene and GNAQ and GNII i have known people who have had metastases in skin that doctors thought to be OM till it was gene tested. GNAQ or GNII would confirm OM otherwise it would be more likely a skin or mucosal melanoma.

Whatever its just there may be more treatment options if it was not OM>

How have they looked fo lesions in your liver. I have had manymetastases in my liver but none ever showed up on PET/CT or CT only on MRI+contrast and diffusion weighting.

Sometimes people have thought they dont have them in the liver but then more accurate scanning reveals that they have.

Whatever Yervoy is a very good option. I had it which contributed to my disease free status. But Ihad loads of side effects, They were quite worried about me I had a fair hepatitis amongst other things from it. But compared to traditional chemo it was not that bad.  It seems the earlier you use i the better- it took about 50-70 weeks for my immune system to work.

I would check things out more carefully but not hold out on starting yervoy.

Carpe diem

Lesley

lak
                    Participant

Hi,

I would ask your doctors to test the lesion for the BRAF gene and GNAQ and GNII i have known people who have had metastases in skin that doctors thought to be OM till it was gene tested. GNAQ or GNII would confirm OM otherwise it would be more likely a skin or mucosal melanoma.

How have they looked fo lesions in your liver. I have had manymetastases in my liver but none ever showed up on PET/CT or CT only on MRI+contrast and diffusion weighting.

Sometimes people have thought they dont have them in the liver but then more accurate scanning reveals that they have.

Whatever Yervoy is a very good option. I had it which contributed to my disease free status. But Ihad loads of side effects, They were quite worried about me I had a fair hepatitis amongst other things from it. But compared to traditional chemo it was not that bad.  It seems the earlier you use i the better- it took about 50-70 weeks for my immune system to work.

Carpe diem

Lesley

lak
                      Participant

Hi,

Carpe diem

Lesley

edamaser
                        Participant

Yes.  One person landed in the hospital, but that is unusual in my experience.  However the person who landed in the hospital is now free of disease (with an assist from surgery taking out liver lesions).  In other words, the Yervoy seems to be preventing spread of disease for her.  It is a weird drug.  The belief is that the more you show side effects, the more potent the drug is acting on the cancer.  This is not proved, but makes intuitive sense.

I would not be afraid of it.  The dose they give is low.  The person I mentioned above had, as I recall, a much larger dose.  Furthermore, if you have a bad reaction they will counter it with steroid drugs to reverse it.  Just get it from a doc who has experience with Yervoy so that he/she knows how to handle bad reactions.

The biggest danger is from diarrhea and from skin things.

I have had lesions in my peritoneum (abdom cavity) for years and years.  They haven't bothered me at all.

Esther

edamaser
                          Participant

Yes.  One person landed in the hospital, but that is unusual in my experience.  However the person who landed in the hospital is now free of disease (with an assist from surgery taking out liver lesions).  In other words, the Yervoy seems to be preventing spread of disease for her.  It is a weird drug.  The belief is that the more you show side effects, the more potent the drug is acting on the cancer.  This is not proved, but makes intuitive sense.

I would not be afraid of it.  The dose they give is low.  The person I mentioned above had, as I recall, a much larger dose.  Furthermore, if you have a bad reaction they will counter it with steroid drugs to reverse it.  Just get it from a doc who has experience with Yervoy so that he/she knows how to handle bad reactions.

I have had lesions in my peritoneum (abdom cavity) for years and years.  They haven't bothered me at all.

Esther

edamaser
                            Participant

Esther

Jinx
                              Participant

It is in the fatty tissue of my abdomine. There are about 5 small (1.5cm) lesions, but none are in any organ. They did say that they expected it to go to my liver, but that this was unusal for it go where it has.

Ester…have you seen any other more severe side effects of Yervoy on this forum? If so, what were they?

Jinx
                                Participant

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                Participant

I just finished Yervoy, and side effects have been almost non-existent.  I'm 47, and otherwise healthy.  Yervoy was NOT the first treatment I had, but the third.  First was immunoembolizations for liver mets, followed by isolated hapatic perfusion, which blasted my liver clean.

The rationale for yervoy now is I present with a few small lung spots, and one para-spinal spot.  That back spot is to be zapped with stereotactic radiation, which, when combined with yervoy, can sometimes have a broad systemic effect.  It's a shot in the dark, and the effect was only just reported in the NEJM last spring:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1203984.

You might ask your team if they would consider combining Yervoy with something else.  Combinations and various gene trials seem to be the next wave treaments.  Your post mentioned USC.  I'm guessing your in California?  Stanford has a Yervoy/radiation trial going on aiming for the same resutls found in that NEJM report.  I'm not sure if it's this trial:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01449279

or this one:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01769222

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                  Participant

I just finished Yervoy, and side effects have been almost non-existent.  I'm 47, and otherwise healthy.  Yervoy was NOT the first treatment I had, but the third.  First was immunoembolizations for liver mets, followed by isolated hapatic perfusion, which blasted my liver clean.

The rationale for yervoy now is I present with a few small lung spots, and one para-spinal spot.  That back spot is to be zapped with stereotactic radiation, which, when combined with yervoy, can sometimes have a broad systemic effect.  It's a shot in the dark, and the effect was only just reported in the NEJM last spring:

You might ask your team if they would consider combining Yervoy with something else.  Combinations and various gene trials seem to be the next wave treaments.  Your post mentioned USC.  I'm guessing your in California?  Stanford has a Yervoy/radiation trial going on aiming for the same resutls found in that NEJM report.  I'm not sure if it's this trial:

or this one:

–Tom

Jinx
                                      Participant

You all have given me a lot to consider and I do appreciate it. I have some new questions for my Doctors.! I have am a member on a few forums and I have always enjoyed them. I really did not ever think I would be on this one, but can see that it will be a very good resorce for understanting and learning about melanoma.

Thanks to all…I am sure I will have more questions.

JJ

Jinx
                                        Participant

You all have given me a lot to consider and I do appreciate it. I have some new questions for my Doctors.! I have am a member on a few forums and I have always enjoyed them. I really did not ever think I would be on this one, but can see that it will be a very good resorce for understanting and learning about melanoma.

JJ

Jinx
                                          Participant

JJ

Jinx
                                            Participant

JJ

Jinx
                                              Participant

JJ

Jinx
                                                Participant

JJ

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                Participant

or this one:

–Tom

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics