The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New member, new diagnosis, stress rant. sorry!

Forums General Melanoma Community New member, new diagnosis, stress rant. sorry!

Participant

Panic, insanity, anger, fear,  I have been through so many emotions these few months I don’t know what to say.

Panic, insanity, anger, fear,  I have been through so many emotions these few months I don’t know what to say.

In the fall of last year, I had a small mole on my right shoulder. I had it since I can remember. It got darker. I got worried and scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist. I have moles all over. My mom has moles. I am just speckled. I also have to say, as a teen, I totally did the sitting out with baby oil and iodine for the perfect tan. I didn’t do tanning beds until the last two years. I have several scars on my stomach and I wanted them to fade into one shade. So I did insane tanning, daily, 20 minutes for about 3 months total out of the two years. Back to fall. I went to the derm. He took one look at it  and said, oh yeah, that has to go. They cut it off and sent it to path. He said, its most likely nothing, but we send it to pathology and I will see you back in two weeks. Then I left. I went home and began to hit the internet. I found this site and began doing research. My mole was larger than an eraser, irregular borders, irregular coloring, and evolving or changing. I couldn’t believe that I had just ignored this thing for years. Literally for years. I had noticed it, thought about it and just went on my merry way. For years.

Well, the dr calls and says, come in to see me. Of course, you know. You don’t get a call for nothing out of the ordinary. I guess the good news is that it is in situ. That for all my putting off, it is supposedly been caught at the surface, most superficial level. But they don’t know, and can’t know, if it didn’t send off some little buggers in the body to take root some place else. The likelihood is that it hasn’t and that when they went back and removed it with the clear margins etc etc, is that it is gone forever. But then, well, being me. I did all this research. I see the people who started out as in situ and it returned. I am furious that there is no way to keep track of this thing at this stage. I hate that there is no monitoring for this other than seeing my derm regularly. The likelihood of it returning in another mole being so small, it seems insane. I don’t know. Am I crazy? No blood test, no xray, no nothing. How do I know I am not going to be in the percentage that it returns? There seems to be nothing I can do to reduce the chances. I hate that I have no control. I hate that I have this evil little monster lurking in the back ground. Did we cut all of him out, or is he still hiding, waiting for when my immune system is down on its luck and pounces on me?

Why exactly, if this friggin cancer so darn deadly, is there so little research money being spent? Why on earth is this some big collosal secret? Why isn’t someone going into our high schools, before proms telling these kids, tanning beds can kill you? I don’t know. I am ranting. I am raving. I am upset. I don’t sleep. I can’t eat, I obsess over this day and night. I have read every single post on this board and I have come to “know” so many warriors. I cry over the sweet, smart, funny people that are gone and I think, these beautiful people are gone. And while we are all the luckier for having been in their orbit, but I should have never known of these people, they should be happily going about their lives. I don’t want to imply with my part about tanning beds either, that these people brought on their cancer either, because I know that sun and uv is only a part of the ugly truth. There are so many more issues and I am angry that we don’t even know those either!

So thank you for reading my introduction to me. I guess I have a lot of “issues” to work through. I plan on being more verbal now and less lurking. I need to get this out of me, to process these emotions, to offer support and give encouragement and just try to return to a new normal. One day at a time…

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Erinmay22
        Participant

So sorry to have to 'meet' this way but for all the emotions you're going thru now you've come to a good place.  The folks here have been thru the same thing and we feel your freakout!   Mine because Oct 2010.  Some days are better than others.  I get scanned every 3 months and have them coming up next week and start to freak out.  But most days are good days now 🙂 compared to where I was a year ago…  Hang in there! 

Erin

Erinmay22
          Participant

So sorry to have to 'meet' this way but for all the emotions you're going thru now you've come to a good place.  The folks here have been thru the same thing and we feel your freakout!   Mine because Oct 2010.  Some days are better than others.  I get scanned every 3 months and have them coming up next week and start to freak out.  But most days are good days now 🙂 compared to where I was a year ago…  Hang in there! 

Erin

Erinmay22
            Participant

Erin

washoegal
              Participant

Your "rant" hits home in a lot of ways.  The mistakes we made when we were young (I did the baby oil thing for a while too).  The anger at the lack of education – many folks go crazy over the the money spent on "thinking pink". 

But I have to tell you, I have been fairly certain from the start that I was going to beat this thing.  Did I lay awake nights worrying, of course.  But I never doubted that somehow, I would be stronger than this beast.  If you continue with such anxiety you may want to see you PCP for anti-anxiety meds, you are not doing your immune system any good with all this stress.  But first try some exercise, yoga, meditation or whaterver works for you.

Also, make sure you see your derm at regular intervals.  If you are like me you will probably end up with more sun damage, not melanoma, but other non-leathal damage that should be removed. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                Participant

Your "rant" hits home in a lot of ways.  The mistakes we made when we were young (I did the baby oil thing for a while too).  The anger at the lack of education – many folks go crazy over the the money spent on "thinking pink". 

But I have to tell you, I have been fairly certain from the start that I was going to beat this thing.  Did I lay awake nights worrying, of course.  But I never doubted that somehow, I would be stronger than this beast.  If you continue with such anxiety you may want to see you PCP for anti-anxiety meds, you are not doing your immune system any good with all this stress.  But first try some exercise, yoga, meditation or whaterver works for you.

Also, make sure you see your derm at regular intervals.  If you are like me you will probably end up with more sun damage, not melanoma, but other non-leathal damage that should be removed. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                    Participant

First off, in situ has > 99% 10 year survival rate.  Hard to beat that.  You probably have a higher risk of dying in a car accident!  You can't read on the internet that someone with in situ had a recurrence and put yourself in their shoes.  There are many people who don't fully understand their own diagnosis or may not have had a good pathology.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but the odds are extremely unlikely.  Everything you read on the internet does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you'd like to join a stage 0/1 melanoma email list, send me an email.  It's truly going to be a more realistic place for you to hang out.  People who are in the same shoes you are with the same risks and fears.  This site has the newly diagnosed and those actively in treatment.  What you are not seeing is the huge number of people who were in your shoes who moved on.  Why stick around and obsess about cancer when there is life to be lived???  Let me just say this, in your life right now, you've let melanoma win.  Whether or not it ever comes back, you are letting it dictate your life now.  I don't want to give melanoma that power over me.  So I'd talk to your PCP about anxiety meds and/or maybe a couselor.  Try to get your emotions and anxieties under control and also in perspective to the risk.  It's never easy to deal with the "C" word and it does take time to get past the diagnosis.  The first year is always the hardest.

Melanoma isn't hiding, there is plenty of information out there.  However, there is also plenty of information trying to downplay the seriousness of "skin cancer" and tanning beds.  It just isn't pink – and most cancer messages pale in comparison to pink.

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Janner
                      Participant

First off, in situ has > 99% 10 year survival rate.  Hard to beat that.  You probably have a higher risk of dying in a car accident!  You can't read on the internet that someone with in situ had a recurrence and put yourself in their shoes.  There are many people who don't fully understand their own diagnosis or may not have had a good pathology.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but the odds are extremely unlikely.  Everything you read on the internet does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

If you'd like to join a stage 0/1 melanoma email list, send me an email.  It's truly going to be a more realistic place for you to hang out.  People who are in the same shoes you are with the same risks and fears.  This site has the newly diagnosed and those actively in treatment.  What you are not seeing is the huge number of people who were in your shoes who moved on.  Why stick around and obsess about cancer when there is life to be lived???  Let me just say this, in your life right now, you've let melanoma win.  Whether or not it ever comes back, you are letting it dictate your life now.  I don't want to give melanoma that power over me.  So I'd talk to your PCP about anxiety meds and/or maybe a couselor.  Try to get your emotions and anxieties under control and also in perspective to the risk.  It's never easy to deal with the "C" word and it does take time to get past the diagnosis.  The first year is always the hardest.

Melanoma isn't hiding, there is plenty of information out there.  However, there is also plenty of information trying to downplay the seriousness of "skin cancer" and tanning beds.  It just isn't pink – and most cancer messages pale in comparison to pink.

Best wishes,

Janner

JC
                          Participant

How do we join the stage 0/1 melanoma email list?  Where is that? What is that?

JC
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Minnesota
                                Participant

That was a great rant, and I know you speak for many people. You did awesome by going in so quickly! 

There's a great video on youtube called "Dear 16 year old me" –  its something you can send to your friends and family to help with awareness. I know that 5 of my friends have scheduled appointments because I sent them the video link, and my children's friends were affected by it to where they commented on facebook that they were not going to tan anymore.

Minnesota
                                  Participant

That was a great rant, and I know you speak for many people. You did awesome by going in so quickly! 

There's a great video on youtube called "Dear 16 year old me" –  its something you can send to your friends and family to help with awareness. I know that 5 of my friends have scheduled appointments because I sent them the video link, and my children's friends were affected by it to where they commented on facebook that they were not going to tan anymore.

Minnesota
                                    Participant

Kelli100299
                                      Participant

Eerye70 –

I had some of the feelings that you have when  I was diagnosed in January 2012. My emotions ran the spectrum, but sadness was my biggest. My mind immediately when to my children and I thought what life would be like for them, to watch their mother get sick. I literally felt like I had been issued a death certificate. I didn't know much about MM, and when I came to this site and read the stories, I was scared. I expressed myself and the members here REALLY lifted me up and I found myself feeling feeling much more empathy for the people that were fighting a bigger battle than me and how positive they remained. I fed off the positive energy and thought, screw this, I am not going to let this bring me down. If it's 5-10-15-or 50 years, I am going to live them to the fullest and stay positive. I am committed to being aware of any changes, keeping with my appointments and ensuring my kids don't make the same mistakes I did with regard to carelessness and the sun. Don't feel like this disease is a death sentence. Acknowledge your feelings and move on. Granted I have good and bad days, most of them surrounding the 'unknown'  of MM, however, prior to this disease I have always had the attitude to not get heated, upset or angry over things I can't change. It is what it is, and I will deal with it. Life is short enough when completely healthy, so I am not going to waste time with this potential disease lurking in my system. All you can do is believe you got it early, took care of it, and continue to pay attention – move on.

Janner – I will be sending you that email to be added to your list. I will continue to visit this site as you do, however, I like the idea of also surrounding myself with people in simliar shoes as me.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                        Participant

Eerye70 –

I had some of the feelings that you have when  I was diagnosed in January 2012. My emotions ran the spectrum, but sadness was my biggest. My mind immediately when to my children and I thought what life would be like for them, to watch their mother get sick. I literally felt like I had been issued a death certificate. I didn't know much about MM, and when I came to this site and read the stories, I was scared. I expressed myself and the members here REALLY lifted me up and I found myself feeling feeling much more empathy for the people that were fighting a bigger battle than me and how positive they remained. I fed off the positive energy and thought, screw this, I am not going to let this bring me down. If it's 5-10-15-or 50 years, I am going to live them to the fullest and stay positive. I am committed to being aware of any changes, keeping with my appointments and ensuring my kids don't make the same mistakes I did with regard to carelessness and the sun. Don't feel like this disease is a death sentence. Acknowledge your feelings and move on. Granted I have good and bad days, most of them surrounding the 'unknown'  of MM, however, prior to this disease I have always had the attitude to not get heated, upset or angry over things I can't change. It is what it is, and I will deal with it. Life is short enough when completely healthy, so I am not going to waste time with this potential disease lurking in my system. All you can do is believe you got it early, took care of it, and continue to pay attention – move on.

Janner – I will be sending you that email to be added to your list. I will continue to visit this site as you do, however, I like the idea of also surrounding myself with people in simliar shoes as me.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                          Participant

Eerye70 –

Kelli

Scott625
                                            Participant

I`ve gotta tell ya.  The past doesn`t matter once you get to where you are now as far as melanoma or I should think any other consequence one might suffer because of previous acts.  You have to put that out of your mind.  I`m sure there are hundreds of stories of regret here about what we did when we were younger.  (I shudder to think of my own stupidity.)  But it is part of who you are.  It is part of who you are.  Live for today and the rest of your life and don`t let your emotions make you weak.  From what I`ve seen the short time I`ve visited this board, the giants who come here don`t waste much time allowing their emotions to run their lives.  They are earnestly and valiantly fighting for every day.  Shouldn`t we who have so much more to be grateful for be even more determined to live forward not backward?, both for ourselves and our compatriots?  I should think yes.  Ya can`t go back and if you tread water long enough you drown so you better start moving forward my friend!, for yourself and for the rest of this body of people of whom so much is asked.  You go girl!

Scott625
                                              Participant

I`ve gotta tell ya.  The past doesn`t matter once you get to where you are now as far as melanoma or I should think any other consequence one might suffer because of previous acts.  You have to put that out of your mind.  I`m sure there are hundreds of stories of regret here about what we did when we were younger.  (I shudder to think of my own stupidity.)  But it is part of who you are.  It is part of who you are.  Live for today and the rest of your life and don`t let your emotions make you weak.  From what I`ve seen the short time I`ve visited this board, the giants who come here don`t waste much time allowing their emotions to run their lives.  They are earnestly and valiantly fighting for every day.  Shouldn`t we who have so much more to be grateful for be even more determined to live forward not backward?, both for ourselves and our compatriots?  I should think yes.  Ya can`t go back and if you tread water long enough you drown so you better start moving forward my friend!, for yourself and for the rest of this body of people of whom so much is asked.  You go girl!

Scott625
                                                Participant

jag
                                                  Participant

The only easy day was yesterday.

jag
                                                    Participant

jag
                                                      Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics