The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Melanoma Patient w/ a family history…..Quick SNB question.

Forums General Melanoma Community New Melanoma Patient w/ a family history…..Quick SNB question.

Participant

Hi everyone.

I recieved my dx in early Feburary after having a itchy mole removed on my stomach. Long story short, it came back as melanoma. It was .82mm, CL IV, no mitosis, no ucleration, and a non-brisk host response. Having a family history of this disease (my father died after a 13 year battle), I am and have been constantly worried about it.

Hi everyone.

I recieved my dx in early Feburary after having a itchy mole removed on my stomach. Long story short, it came back as melanoma. It was .82mm, CL IV, no mitosis, no ucleration, and a non-brisk host response. Having a family history of this disease (my father died after a 13 year battle), I am and have been constantly worried about it.

Shortly after the dx, I had surgery to ensure clean margins and a SNB. I then went to MD Anderson to have them check me out as well and based on my aformentioned family history I was given a CT and MRI as well. Everything came back good and I am now seeing a derm every three months. Twice a year at MD Anderson and twice locally here in Arkansas.

I have a question for you guys and gals that have had node biopsies. My SNB was on my right groin (in mid Feb.). Over the past two weeks, my left groin has been in a constant state of mild to moderate pain. Is this normal? I went back to my surgeon and she didn't think much of it. She thinks it is probably just nerve damage. While I saw my nuclear scans during all my testing and can absolutely confirm that the mole drained to my right side, I'm not worried out of my mind that this has something moved over to my left side. Has anyone experienced pain in the opposite side of their body from their SNB?

Thanks for any input and my each of you find happiness in your journeys.

–Nick

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am confused about the CT and MRI for a Stage I lesion.  I've always been told that is not called for.  Should I also be getting that?  If they do it at MD Anderson, you'd think it should be done then.  Why don't they do that elsewhere?

JC
          Participant

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am confused about the CT and MRI for a Stage I lesion.  I've always been told that is not called for.  Should I also be getting that?  If they do it at MD Anderson, you'd think it should be done then.  Why don't they do that elsewhere?

JC
            Participant

buffcody
                Participant

Having a significant family history of melanoma myself, I think that was the reason for the aggressive scanning in this case.

JC
                  Participant

CT's a lot of radiation exposure.  Does the benefit outweigh the risk for a Stage I lesion?

JC
                    Participant

CT's a lot of radiation exposure.  Does the benefit outweigh the risk for a Stage I lesion?

JC
                      Participant

buffcody
                        Participant

Having a significant family history of melanoma myself, I think that was the reason for the aggressive scanning in this case.

buffcody
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

CT/MRI are not warranted for a stage I lesion unless there are symptoms.  This is not standard procedure at all and I suspect was done more for calming purposes than any real clinical worry.  Scans do not show microscopic disease and the likelihood of a new low risk lesion having anything meaningful show up on a scan is very unlikely….  Most often, if anything shows up, it is a false positive and you have to have more tests to rule out melanoma and it is just more anxiety, money, and trouble for nothing.

Janner
                              Participant

CT/MRI are not warranted for a stage I lesion unless there are symptoms.  This is not standard procedure at all and I suspect was done more for calming purposes than any real clinical worry.  Scans do not show microscopic disease and the likelihood of a new low risk lesion having anything meaningful show up on a scan is very unlikely….  Most often, if anything shows up, it is a false positive and you have to have more tests to rule out melanoma and it is just more anxiety, money, and trouble for nothing.

Janner
                                Participant

nickmo79
                                  Participant

I asked for and recieved the scans due to my strong family history of melanoma. I believe my exact phrasing was, "I'm 33 years old, I'm too young to go out like this, I don't care what it costs, just do it."

Peace of mind is priceless IMO.

nickmo79
                                    Participant

I asked for and recieved the scans due to my strong family history of melanoma. I believe my exact phrasing was, "I'm 33 years old, I'm too young to go out like this, I don't care what it costs, just do it."

nickmo79
                                      Participant

Also, the doctors at MD Anderson wanted to have a base line of me with no signs of disease so that they could have something to go off should the disease pop back up later.

nickmo79
                                        Participant

Also, the doctors at MD Anderson wanted to have a base line of me with no signs of disease so that they could have something to go off should the disease pop back up later.

Janner
                                          Participant

Highly unlikely with your low risk lesion.  Even for those with a family history, baseline scans are rarely done for someone with a low risk lesion like yours. 

Janner
                                            Participant

Highly unlikely with your low risk lesion.  Even for those with a family history, baseline scans are rarely done for someone with a low risk lesion like yours. 

Janner
                                              Participant

nickmo79
                                                Participant

nickmo79
                                                  Participant

akls
                                                  Participant

Nick,

I had my dissection under my arm, however, I have node pain in my groin occasionally.  I can always pinpoint MY node pain to a bladder infection.  Just thought I'd let you know that other things can cause the nodes in the groin to hurt.  Good Luck.

Amy S. in Michigan

nickmo79
                                                      Participant

Thanks for the information.

nickmo79
                                                        Participant

nickmo79
                                                          Participant

akls
                                                          Participant

Nick,

I had my dissection under my arm, however, I have node pain in my groin occasionally.  I can always pinpoint MY node pain to a bladder infection.  Just thought I'd let you know that other things can cause the nodes in the groin to hurt.  Good Luck.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                            Participant

Nick,

Amy S. in Michigan

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics