The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Melanoma Diagnosis-Stage1

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New Melanoma Diagnosis-Stage1

• This topic has 9 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ccco.
    Participant

I was recently diagnosed (via initial biopsy) with Melanoma. Just got back from my wide excision. The surgeon said that it was a Stage 1 (.3mm) and no further treatment/action was necessary. He said there was no need to do any lymph node testing. Will being seeing my dermatologist every 3 months for awhile. While I feel like shooting off fireworks, I am hesitant in believing everything I am told. Is there really no chance of lymph node involvement if melanoma was thin (.3mm)? I feel silly asking since so many people on this site are dealing with some really big issues but don't want to fast forward and find that the cancer spread. Thanks for any advice!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Lymph node testing isn't typically done for a 0.3mm lesion unless there are other higher risk factors.  Basically the risks of surgery are higher than the node positive risk.  Some institutions use 0.75mm and others use 1mm.  Your in the very low risk category.  Fireworks are good.  You can have your derm show you how to check your lymph nodes just to be on the proactive side.  Check them when you do your monthly self skin exam.  But otherwise, be sun safe and watch your other moles for CHANGE!

ccco
            Participant

Janner-thanks for the info! Most of my sun damage was in my "younger days" (under 30). The diagnosis certainly is a wake up call and  I will be checking moles (have lots) and ramping up my sun safety!

ccco
              Participant

Janner-thanks for the info! Most of my sun damage was in my "younger days" (under 30). The diagnosis certainly is a wake up call and  I will be checking moles (have lots) and ramping up my sun safety!

ccco
                Participant

ccco
                  Participant

ccco
                    Participant

ccco
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Lymph node testing isn't typically done for a 0.3mm lesion unless there are other higher risk factors.  Basically the risks of surgery are higher than the node positive risk.  Some institutions use 0.75mm and others use 1mm.  Your in the very low risk category.  Fireworks are good.  You can have your derm show you how to check your lymph nodes just to be on the proactive side.  Check them when you do your monthly self skin exam.  But otherwise, be sun safe and watch your other moles for CHANGE!

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics