The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Information on Opdivo approval

Forums General Melanoma Community New Information on Opdivo approval

Keymaster

We have been following discussions with the FDA around approving Opdivo (nivolumab) as a first-line therapy for metastatic melanoma. Currently the label require patients whose tumors have the BRAF mutation to have BRAF therapy first, then Yervoy (ipilimumab), and only take "nivo" after those approaches have stopped working or proven intolerable. Patients without the BRAF mutation must progress on ipi before taking nivo. 

The company who makes nivo, BMS, has applied to expand the approval so the drug can be given as the first treatment, instead of the second or third. The FDA said it would make a decision by September 30. They have now announced that the deadline for that decision has been pushed back by two months. What does this mean and how will it affect patients?

First, the reason for the delay is that BMS has recently submitted a large amount of new data focusing on patients with the BRAF mutation. The FDA simply needs time to review this data.

Second, based in the initial data the FDA could have approved nivo as first line therapy only for patients whose tumors do not have the BRAF mutation. With this additional data they are more likely to take action for all patients regardless of BRAF status.

Third, the oncology drug section of the FDA has done a good job recently of acting before their deadline, and sometimes well before the deadline, so we can hope this will be the case in this situation.

Fourth (and last!), many oncologist are prescribing either Opdivo or Keytruda (which has the same restrictions) as first line therapy despite what the label says. This is in keeping with other guidelines and has not generally faced any pushback from insurance companies around coverage.

The bottom line is that the delay is not a cause for alarm and may result in more patients having access to anti-PD1 therapy faster.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Thanks for the update, Tim!  Fingers crossed for good news and better access for all….SOON!!!  celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Thanks for the update, Tim!  Fingers crossed for good news and better access for all….SOON!!!  celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

A
              Participant

Thanks, Tim. What about a combination therapy: nivo or pembro + ipi? Is the FDA moving forward with it as well? I believe it is obvious that the combination therapy is more effective and side effects could me manageable.

ed williams
                  Participant

I would think that the FDA would first wait for checkmate 67 to finish in January 2016 They will then collect all the data and then present it at ASCO 2016, then the FDA would look at changing things. Just my view of the process. Ed

Tim–MRF

Sorry, my previous response was intended for the earlier question.

Checkmate 66 compared nivo vs. dacarbazine and, not surprisingly, nivo was the clear winner. This is the data originally submitted in the request to have nivo labeled for first-line therapy. That study, though, was only in BRAF wild type patients. Now they have data for patients whose tumor has the BRAF mutation and are including that. I am not clear on which study generated that data–it might be an early analysis of a subset from Checkmate 67. If I learn more I will pass it along.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Checkmate 66 compared nivo vs. dacarbazine and, not surprisingly, nivo was the clear winner. This is the data originally submitted in the request to have nivo labeled for first-line therapy. That study, though, was only in BRAF wild type patients. Now they have data for patients whose tumor has the BRAF mutation and are including that. I am not clear on which study generated that data–it might be an early analysis of a subset from Checkmate 67. If I learn more I will pass it along.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

ed williams
                          Participant

I would think that the FDA would first wait for checkmate 67 to finish in January 2016 They will then collect all the data and then present it at ASCO 2016, then the FDA would look at changing things. Just my view of the process. Ed

ed williams
                            Participant

Tim–MRF

From what I understand they are still waiting on the data to be complete on the ipi + nivo study. The combination helps more people, and more people have long-lasting response but the data in whether it extends overall survival (OS) is not known. The paper written on this study in the New England Journal of Medicine shows little OS benefit, but the OS benefit may be in what is called the "tail of the curve". In other words, we may see people progress at about the same rate in the early months, but then see more people on the combination become long-term survivors. 

I hope to have a call with the science team from the company in the next few days to have a better understanding of this. If that call happens I will pass along what I learn.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

From what I understand they are still waiting on the data to be complete on the ipi + nivo study. The combination helps more people, and more people have long-lasting response but the data in whether it extends overall survival (OS) is not known. The paper written on this study in the New England Journal of Medicine shows little OS benefit, but the OS benefit may be in what is called the "tail of the curve". In other words, we may see people progress at about the same rate in the early months, but then see more people on the combination become long-term survivors. 

I hope to have a call with the science team from the company in the next few days to have a better understanding of this. If that call happens I will pass along what I learn.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

A
                                  Participant

Thanks, Tim. What about a combination therapy: nivo or pembro + ipi? Is the FDA moving forward with it as well? I believe it is obvious that the combination therapy is more effective and side effects could me manageable.

A
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics