The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

new info on daughter

Forums General Melanoma Community new info on daughter

Participant

new information on my daughter. she has had 6 more nevi removed, 3 were positive but not malignant. she is now being diagnosed as having dysplastic nevus syndrome, more nevi to be biopsied. still no WLE or SNLB (scheduled for Feb 7) however, with this new diagnosis, should we be looking at a clinical trial? there is one being done and actively recruiting at 3 locations near us.

new information on my daughter. she has had 6 more nevi removed, 3 were positive but not malignant. she is now being diagnosed as having dysplastic nevus syndrome, more nevi to be biopsied. still no WLE or SNLB (scheduled for Feb 7) however, with this new diagnosis, should we be looking at a clinical trial? there is one being done and actively recruiting at 3 locations near us. 2 in Chicago at Rush and Northwestern. another in Peoria (even closer) at OSF St. Francis. the trial # is NCT00297895. it looks as though this decision must be made prior to a WLE or SNLB which would be performed at Peoria or Chicago locations and not at our current appointed surgery. Please let me know about this trial, as much of the terminology is foreign. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'm not sure I understand your post.  Your daughter had 3 more moles removed that were positive but not malignant?  I am thinkiing you mean that these moles are atypical or dysplastic.  That doesn't mean they would ever become melanoma, however.  If she has dysplastic nevus syndrome, I would be looking for a location that can do mole mapping or body photography.  Monitor moles that change and those are the ones that are suspect.  With DNS, you could remove lots of moles and still have more to go, so the photography helps you determine the highest risk moles to remove.

As for the clinical trial, from what I'm reading your daughter has to have had the WLE/SNB and the SNB must be positive to be part of the trial.  This trial compares removing all the lymph nodes after a positive sentinel node biopsy with ultrasound monitoring.  The trial has to begin within 4 months of the original biopsy.  So, your daughter needs to complete her surgery first.  Hopefully, the SNB will be negative and the trial will be a moot point.  But if her SN is positive, then she can consider the trial.  It compares surgery which is the current standard with just monitoring the lymph nodes via ultrasound.  The trial has been ongoing (either this or a different one) for a long time but I've never seen any hint at results.  If I had a lot of sentinel lymph node involvement, I probably would would want surgery.  If I had minimal lymph node involvement, I would definitely consider doing this trial.  But this is something your daughter has to decide — what makes sense for her!

Best wishes,

Janner

shep
            Participant

thanks janner, i know it was confusing looking back. these last moles were removed and biopsied after she had her melanoma diagnosed. when i first started posting i had meantioned this as "daughter diagnosed 2mm?" is it better to just continue a string or start a new thread on new news?she is meeting her derm today to get written info and ask about this trial.

Janner
              Participant

The best thing to do is create a profile.  Put the significant info for your daughter.  Then, when you have a new question, post it separately.  You can do a brief summary in a new question, but if you have all the pertinent info outlined in your profile, we can read that when we answer.  We can just click on you name and it brings up your profile making it easy to look at your particular case.

As Carol and I both said, she can get info on the trial right now, but would have to have a positive SNB before she could participate.  You have to be stage III to join this trial and you can't know if she is stage III until after the SNB.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

The best thing to do is create a profile.  Put the significant info for your daughter.  Then, when you have a new question, post it separately.  You can do a brief summary in a new question, but if you have all the pertinent info outlined in your profile, we can read that when we answer.  We can just click on you name and it brings up your profile making it easy to look at your particular case.

As Carol and I both said, she can get info on the trial right now, but would have to have a positive SNB before she could participate.  You have to be stage III to join this trial and you can't know if she is stage III until after the SNB.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

shep
                    Participant

thanks janner, i know it was confusing looking back. these last moles were removed and biopsied after she had her melanoma diagnosed. when i first started posting i had meantioned this as "daughter diagnosed 2mm?" is it better to just continue a string or start a new thread on new news?she is meeting her derm today to get written info and ask about this trial.

shep
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

I'm not sure I understand your post.  Your daughter had 3 more moles removed that were positive but not malignant?  I am thinkiing you mean that these moles are atypical or dysplastic.  That doesn't mean they would ever become melanoma, however.  If she has dysplastic nevus syndrome, I would be looking for a location that can do mole mapping or body photography.  Monitor moles that change and those are the ones that are suspect.  With DNS, you could remove lots of moles and still have more to go, so the photography helps you determine the highest risk moles to remove.

As for the clinical trial, from what I'm reading your daughter has to have had the WLE/SNB and the SNB must be positive to be part of the trial.  This trial compares removing all the lymph nodes after a positive sentinel node biopsy with ultrasound monitoring.  The trial has to begin within 4 months of the original biopsy.  So, your daughter needs to complete her surgery first.  Hopefully, the SNB will be negative and the trial will be a moot point.  But if her SN is positive, then she can consider the trial.  It compares surgery which is the current standard with just monitoring the lymph nodes via ultrasound.  The trial has been ongoing (either this or a different one) for a long time but I've never seen any hint at results.  If I had a lot of sentinel lymph node involvement, I probably would would want surgery.  If I had minimal lymph node involvement, I would definitely consider doing this trial.  But this is something your daughter has to decide — what makes sense for her!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

CarolA
                          Participant

I entered this trail, back in Feb/March 2005*.    I had two nodes (left axilla/underarm) with detection of very small (don't know the medical terminology micro?macro?) evidence of melanoma detected via SNB.    I opted to enter the trial, rather than go for the total elective lymph node dissection (ELND).   I was monitored, if I recall correctly, almsot every 2 or 3 months via ultrasound to the underarm.   In September, there were two nodes they were monitoring and they were approaching a compromising size (again, don't remember the medical #'s of concern).   I had the ELND in October 2005 and  those two nodes of concern and the rest, had no evidence of melanoma disease!! 

I felt comfortable proceeding on this trial, made confident by my oncologist/surgeon, and felt secure with the u/s monitoring.    I was 57 yrs old at the time.    

The way it was presented to me, 80% of the time, total LND results in finding no more evidence of melanoma in those extra nodes that are removed.   Plus, there is the risk of problems having the LND, range of motion issues, lymphedema (swelling).    I did have extensive physical therapy and have compromised range of motion (not debilitating) and I do have some lymphedema, again not compromising to my lifestyle.  

FIRST, however, your daughter would have to come up with positive lymphnode from the SNB.   Hopefully, this will not happen.   IF SHE does have a positive node…. maybe that's where they want to know "now", but I don't know why…. I thought those nodes (or node) removed from the SNB would go through pathology first, and THEN the decision, IF NECESSARY, for a total LND would be made if the node came back positive with melanoma.   And that surgery would take place at another time.

*I see this trial (which I found under google, via NCT00297895, is now dated Feb 2006, but trust me, I was in this trial originally, controlled by John Wayne Cancer Institute, participating in it through my oncologist in Buffalo NY (Not through Roswell Cancer Institute, although their 2nd opinion also talked of this trial). Fe7T0029T 

I know this is all so confusing, and the jargon new to you and your daughter.    And I know it's extremely frightning.  I was diagnosed at Stage IIIB, two nodes positive.   I did have recurrences, on my breast, several of them.   I am a little older, still I was fearful of not seeing my children graduate college, marry. . .    I saw two marry, all graduate from college, am praying for grandchildren and for my son to marry his girlfriend, soon.   I survived the mastectomy, adjusted, I'm fine, happy and now taking care of my 88 yr old parents!  Some retirement!   But …..  I learned to live with this beast after letting it define me, take over me emotionally, letting it take up my precious time, allowing it to cover my life with worry.   I learned to deal with it.   It's not easy to shove it behind you, but it can be done!   Good luck to you and to your daughter.

CarolA

shep
                              Participant

thank you carola for your story, glad you were able to share it and pray that you as well as my daughter are able to share your lives with grandchildren, just as i have been blessed with grandchildren, thet are a joy. i will share this with her, it may help with her decision.

shep
                                Participant

thank you carola for your story, glad you were able to share it and pray that you as well as my daughter are able to share your lives with grandchildren, just as i have been blessed with grandchildren, thet are a joy. i will share this with her, it may help with her decision.

shep
                                  Participant

CarolA
                                  Participant

I entered this trail, back in Feb/March 2005*.    I had two nodes (left axilla/underarm) with detection of very small (don't know the medical terminology micro?macro?) evidence of melanoma detected via SNB.    I opted to enter the trial, rather than go for the total elective lymph node dissection (ELND).   I was monitored, if I recall correctly, almsot every 2 or 3 months via ultrasound to the underarm.   In September, there were two nodes they were monitoring and they were approaching a compromising size (again, don't remember the medical #'s of concern).   I had the ELND in October 2005 and  those two nodes of concern and the rest, had no evidence of melanoma disease!! 

I felt comfortable proceeding on this trial, made confident by my oncologist/surgeon, and felt secure with the u/s monitoring.    I was 57 yrs old at the time.    

The way it was presented to me, 80% of the time, total LND results in finding no more evidence of melanoma in those extra nodes that are removed.   Plus, there is the risk of problems having the LND, range of motion issues, lymphedema (swelling).    I did have extensive physical therapy and have compromised range of motion (not debilitating) and I do have some lymphedema, again not compromising to my lifestyle.  

FIRST, however, your daughter would have to come up with positive lymphnode from the SNB.   Hopefully, this will not happen.   IF SHE does have a positive node…. maybe that's where they want to know "now", but I don't know why…. I thought those nodes (or node) removed from the SNB would go through pathology first, and THEN the decision, IF NECESSARY, for a total LND would be made if the node came back positive with melanoma.   And that surgery would take place at another time.

*I see this trial (which I found under google, via NCT00297895, is now dated Feb 2006, but trust me, I was in this trial originally, controlled by John Wayne Cancer Institute, participating in it through my oncologist in Buffalo NY (Not through Roswell Cancer Institute, although their 2nd opinion also talked of this trial). Fe7T0029T 

I know this is all so confusing, and the jargon new to you and your daughter.    And I know it's extremely frightning.  I was diagnosed at Stage IIIB, two nodes positive.   I did have recurrences, on my breast, several of them.   I am a little older, still I was fearful of not seeing my children graduate college, marry. . .    I saw two marry, all graduate from college, am praying for grandchildren and for my son to marry his girlfriend, soon.   I survived the mastectomy, adjusted, I'm fine, happy and now taking care of my 88 yr old parents!  Some retirement!   But …..  I learned to live with this beast after letting it define me, take over me emotionally, letting it take up my precious time, allowing it to cover my life with worry.   I learned to deal with it.   It's not easy to shove it behind you, but it can be done!   Good luck to you and to your daughter.

CarolA

CarolA
                                    Participant

CarolA

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics