The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Generation Immuno Therapy?

Forums General Melanoma Community New Generation Immuno Therapy?

• Replies
      RJoeyB
      Participant

I don't have any experience with any of them, but I've been keeping tabs on these three "injectables", T-Vec, electroporation, and PV-10, for a couple of years.  All are interesting and like anything, have their limits, specifically, each requires an accessible, injectable tumor/lesion.  It would seem (in my opinion) that they would be best applied for patients with low tumor burden and in conjuction with another checkpoint inhibitor immunotherapy (ipi, nivo, pembro) or cytokine (IL-2 or IL-12).  

Trials have been small, from what I've read.  In particular, for PV-10 theyve been reporting these same trial results (for 13 total patients) for a trial that ended more than two years ago and haven't moved forward with another trial — I believe they ran into some issues with the FDA, where the company kept coming back asking for various approvals and the FDA told them, again, you have to run more trials first and stop asking for approvals without them.  At the same time, it has the attention of someone at Moffitt now, which is a good thing and supposedly the company is planning to open a new trial soon.

Again, I think there's potential, not necessarily as a next-generatio immunotherapy, but as complementary options for some immunotherapies, and, perhaps in a smaller subset of patients with low tumor burden, a standalone option.  Even with radiation therapy, there is anecdotal information that supports radiation of one tumor can incite an immune response at a distant tumor, and that the effect may be enhanced by existing immunotherapies.  If we think of the immune system as "teachable" (which it is), then, in theory, the destruction and systemic disposal of a large number of a certain type of cells (like melanoma cells) has the potential to train the adaptive immune system to recognize these cells as "bad" and go after them as well.  Some patients (self-included) even see this with vitiligo and nevi depigmentation.  So with these injectables, if they can effectively destroy a small number of tumors, they too should have the potential to train the immune system, especially one that is already "amped up" by an existing immunotherapy.

Joe

Bubbles
          Participant

Actually, Joe, PV10 has some new results. An international report with 28 patients was reported at ASCO this year as well as results from 8 patients enrolled in a pilot study at Moffit where all 8 had regression in the injected tumor and 4 had regression in both the injected tumor and a bystander lesion.  See my May 18 blog post for details (out of town so can't attach a link…sorry). Additionally, Weber and Ribas addressed intralesional injections in their "Pretty darn impressive…" chat (see June 13 post).  In my July 27 post…additional injectables are addressed…using IL2 as well as LTX 315.  Just a beginning look…but still.  As far as 're-firing' the immune system…I fear it is a tricky business.  LAG-3 may come to be an important player.  My post on June 29 talks about that and has a link to a researcher's video presentation addressing what happens once the immune system has been fired…and how to get it to mount another response!  Pretty cool stuff.

best to you all. Celeste

BrianP
            Participant

Great stuff Celeste. I admit with all the summer activities I haven't been to your blog as much lately. Looks like I have some studying to do.

Like Rick I'm always on the look out for the next generation immunotherapy and found this article recently.

http://www.drugs.com/news/compugen-target-cancer-immunotherapy-shown-affect-multiple-immune-cell-types-involved-tumor-47508.html

Seems like real promising stuff.  The article doesn't specifically mention melanoma and I'm not sure if that's an oversight or for some reason melanoma does not have this checkpoint protein.  I sent an email to the author for clarification but did not get a response.

Brian

BrianP
              Participant

Great stuff Celeste. I admit with all the summer activities I haven't been to your blog as much lately. Looks like I have some studying to do.

Like Rick I'm always on the look out for the next generation immunotherapy and found this article recently.

http://www.drugs.com/news/compugen-target-cancer-immunotherapy-shown-affect-multiple-immune-cell-types-involved-tumor-47508.html

Seems like real promising stuff.  The article doesn't specifically mention melanoma and I'm not sure if that's an oversight or for some reason melanoma does not have this checkpoint protein.  I sent an email to the author for clarification but did not get a response.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Brian

Maureen038
                  Participant

Thank you Celeste for your very informative blog! Besides Melanoma Missionary, it has excellent information. Every melanoma patient should be following your blog and Jim's blog for current information on treatment and other important topics. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                    Participant

Thank you Celeste for your very informative blog! Besides Melanoma Missionary, it has excellent information. Every melanoma patient should be following your blog and Jim's blog for current information on treatment and other important topics. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                      Participant

Maureen 

RJoeyB
                        Participant

Thanks Celeste, I hadn't seen the newer PV10 results.  I've been following it for a couple of years and it just seemed stagnant, then in May just before ASCO there was a bunch of back and forth between them and the FDA in the vein of what I wrote above.  Regardless, it's good to see it move forward and them getting some positive results.

If one or more of these agents works out, the intralesional approach will be another good tool for a subset of patients, but probably not a revolutionary step forward as we've seen with the targeted therapies and checkpoint inhibitors.  For patients with low tumor burden and accessible tumors this could be great.  I think I've heard of cases where there was an accessible but, for whatever reason, unresectable tumor where one of the intralesional agents was able to eradicate that tumor.

And agreed, I think proving that a local treatment, whether radiation or an intralesional injection, helps modulate an immune response at a distant disease site is going to be difficult.  There have been enough anecdotal cases of this happening that it warrants further study to truly understand the mechanism of action, but I'm far from suggesting that the approach anytime soon be, "Hey, we're going to radiate this bone met in your leg and hopefully that alone will stimulate your immune system to take care of that lung met."  Taken together, though, there is some hope in a combination of local intralesional therapies complemented by systemic immunotherapies.

Joe

RJoeyB
                          Participant

Thanks Celeste, I hadn't seen the newer PV10 results.  I've been following it for a couple of years and it just seemed stagnant, then in May just before ASCO there was a bunch of back and forth between them and the FDA in the vein of what I wrote above.  Regardless, it's good to see it move forward and them getting some positive results.

If one or more of these agents works out, the intralesional approach will be another good tool for a subset of patients, but probably not a revolutionary step forward as we've seen with the targeted therapies and checkpoint inhibitors.  For patients with low tumor burden and accessible tumors this could be great.  I think I've heard of cases where there was an accessible but, for whatever reason, unresectable tumor where one of the intralesional agents was able to eradicate that tumor.

And agreed, I think proving that a local treatment, whether radiation or an intralesional injection, helps modulate an immune response at a distant disease site is going to be difficult.  There have been enough anecdotal cases of this happening that it warrants further study to truly understand the mechanism of action, but I'm far from suggesting that the approach anytime soon be, "Hey, we're going to radiate this bone met in your leg and hopefully that alone will stimulate your immune system to take care of that lung met."  Taken together, though, there is some hope in a combination of local intralesional therapies complemented by systemic immunotherapies.

Joe

RJoeyB
                            Participant

Joe

Bubbles
                              Participant

Actually, Joe, PV10 has some new results. An international report with 28 patients was reported at ASCO this year as well as results from 8 patients enrolled in a pilot study at Moffit where all 8 had regression in the injected tumor and 4 had regression in both the injected tumor and a bystander lesion.  See my May 18 blog post for details (out of town so can't attach a link…sorry). Additionally, Weber and Ribas addressed intralesional injections in their "Pretty darn impressive…" chat (see June 13 post).  In my July 27 post…additional injectables are addressed…using IL2 as well as LTX 315.  Just a beginning look…but still.  As far as 're-firing' the immune system…I fear it is a tricky business.  LAG-3 may come to be an important player.  My post on June 29 talks about that and has a link to a researcher's video presentation addressing what happens once the immune system has been fired…and how to get it to mount another response!  Pretty cool stuff.

best to you all. Celeste

Bubbles
                                Participant

best to you all. Celeste

RJoeyB
                                Participant

I don't have any experience with any of them, but I've been keeping tabs on these three "injectables", T-Vec, electroporation, and PV-10, for a couple of years.  All are interesting and like anything, have their limits, specifically, each requires an accessible, injectable tumor/lesion.  It would seem (in my opinion) that they would be best applied for patients with low tumor burden and in conjuction with another checkpoint inhibitor immunotherapy (ipi, nivo, pembro) or cytokine (IL-2 or IL-12).  

Trials have been small, from what I've read.  In particular, for PV-10 theyve been reporting these same trial results (for 13 total patients) for a trial that ended more than two years ago and haven't moved forward with another trial — I believe they ran into some issues with the FDA, where the company kept coming back asking for various approvals and the FDA told them, again, you have to run more trials first and stop asking for approvals without them.  At the same time, it has the attention of someone at Moffitt now, which is a good thing and supposedly the company is planning to open a new trial soon.

Again, I think there's potential, not necessarily as a next-generatio immunotherapy, but as complementary options for some immunotherapies, and, perhaps in a smaller subset of patients with low tumor burden, a standalone option.  Even with radiation therapy, there is anecdotal information that supports radiation of one tumor can incite an immune response at a distant tumor, and that the effect may be enhanced by existing immunotherapies.  If we think of the immune system as "teachable" (which it is), then, in theory, the destruction and systemic disposal of a large number of a certain type of cells (like melanoma cells) has the potential to train the adaptive immune system to recognize these cells as "bad" and go after them as well.  Some patients (self-included) even see this with vitiligo and nevi depigmentation.  So with these injectables, if they can effectively destroy a small number of tumors, they too should have the potential to train the immune system, especially one that is already "amped up" by an existing immunotherapy.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

Joe

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics