The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New diagnosis, slow process, concerned

Forums General Melanoma Community New diagnosis, slow process, concerned

Participant
      I moved to NC mid-September to be with my mom. She had just had a “bump” removed from her nose. On 10/5/21, she got a call telling her it was melanoma and that she needed to see a plastic surgeon. They called 10/6 and scheduled surgery for 11/9 with the only information she got being that she had to come alone for this out-patient surgery and that they may have to remove part of her nose. No one has discussed oncology, staging, treatment options or anything else. Her dermatologist who was initially concerned and chose to do the biopsy said after the plastic surgeon finished with her, he could check for more areas of concern as she has tons of large moles of various colors and shapes on her back. I’m anxious about her prognosis and treatment plan and feel that two months from biopsy to surgery is too long to wait. Wondering if that’s normal, and I’m pushy or if I should be doing more to advocate for her. I also just started a new job which is much more time intensive than I expected and is causing added stress. Any direction on where to go for information aobut what should happen, treatment options, etc. would be much appreciated
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Lyn, more information from the pathology report would be helpful.
          JD_NY
          Participant
            My husband was just diagnosed also, and as Ed says, get a copy of the pathology report of the biopsy.  Call your mom’s derm to find out what you need to do to get a copy (your mom probably has to fill out a form).  Once we got my husband’s, so many more details were available to help understand what we are starting with.  Once you have that you can post what it says here and people will help you understand. (Over the past two weeks I have seen that there are so many helpful thoughtful people on this forum) Good luck!
            ThinkingPositive
            Participant
              Hi Lyn, I had a large bump removed that biopsied melanoma and subsequently had plastics do wide excision, sentinel lymph node biopsy, and finally staging. I also needed a graft on my nose. If your mom is independent, all of this is doable. She will need a driver to and from surgery. Wishing her the best outcome!
              Cindy
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics