The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New diagnosis – need support and information

Forums General Melanoma Community New diagnosis – need support and information

Participant

Please help me understand. 

I have had a nodule on my leg for months.  It was removed and sent for biopsy.   The Doctor called yesterday and said it it melanoma.  After being on the internet all night I found you guys.  The doctor said it was 2.8mm and is sending me to an oncologist.  Recommends SNLB and something about cutting with wide margins.  

My question is what does 2.8mm mean.  I understand there is a scale but don't understand where the depth measurement came from.  That is – is it surface of my skin upward or downward.  I am not sure if I asked the question correctly.  Some insight would relieve anxiety.  

Thanks 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        melanomamafia
        Participant

the depth of your melanoma helps with staging. You are most likely Stage II, but without more information it's hard to know. But it is growth into the skin towards your bone. 

The SNLB will be to rule out any spread to lymph nodes in that area. And the wide excision isto make sure they have gotten all remnants of the tumor out. 

Try not to borrow trouble by worrying too much. Cross each moment as they come. Melanoma is an a$$hole, but many people are living well with it or have beaten the beast. 

Sorry you are now a part of this group, but here you are sure to find some support and lots of positivity. Welcome (hugs)

anniemac
            Participant

Thanks for info and advice.

sister of patient
            Participant

Hi Annie – I'm so sorry you had to make your way here but you've come to an excellent place to learn and share. This forum is a valuable resource but the rest of the site is also extremely informative. If you look at the blue nav bar at the top of the page, under the link Understand Melanoma, you'll find sections that will address the many questions you no doubt have – particularly the staging and its associated procedures.

I'd suggest reading through there and then coming back with further questions – there's a ton of kind folks here who have been through the staging process you're embarking on right now (I'm not, my sister is)!! Wishing you the very best news!!

Barb 

anniemac
                Participant

Thanks for reply.  Not feeling so isolated now.

Lucygoose
                Participant

Welcome, but I am sorry you have to be here.  

I was diagnosed a little over a month ago and am just starting treatment.  I received some very good advice I’d like to share with you. 

1. Don’t look at survival rates on the internet. Treatment of melanoma has undergone radical improvement in the last few years and the rates on the internet don’t reflect that. 

2. Find a group that specializes in melanoma.  Like I said the field is changing rapidly.  

3. Don’t feel like you have to rush into treatment.  Don’t lolligag, but make informed decisions.  

4. If it ends up that it’s in your lymph nodes ask about neoadjuvant immunotherapy clinical trials.  That’s what I’m doing and the research looks very promising. 

I think that’s it.  You found a good group with reliable information. 

Best of Luck to you

lucy

sing123
                    Participant

So well said!

anniemac
                      Participant

You are so right about the internet survival rates info.  If I read the phrase 'melanoma is the deadliest' just one more time I may chuck my laptop through the window.  

Amylyn1971
                        Participant

I agree about that statement!! 

MichelleRHG
                        Participant
                          I highly recommend finding the link Bubbles has posted many times that she compiled for new patients. Use search bubble for Bubbles. She has all you need to know right now, clear and concise! Should be easy to find.
                            anniemac
                            Participant

Thanks . looking now.

casagrayson
                            Participant

Here is the link to Bubble's primer if you haven't already found it:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html

anniemac
                                Participant

Thanks Susan.  

DZnDef
                                Participant

Hi Annie,

My situation is completely different than yours, I just wanted you to know that if you hear the worst, you still have time.  Don’t rush decisions.  I told myself to never commit to a treatment decision on the same day I was presented with it.  You can always get some advice and research and sleep on it at least one night.  Committing to not making same-day decisions helped to relieve some anxiety for me.  I was already stage IV when I learned I had cancer and that was in 2012.  I still have it but I’m also still here.  There is a very good chance you will wake up tommorrow and for many years to come.  They’re getting pretty good at keeping us alive long enough for something else to kill us.  Hang in there.

Cheers!

Maggie

anniemac
                                    Participant

Thanks Maggie.  I appreciate your advise.

Annie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics