The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community New diagnosis

Participant

Hello, I just this week got diagnosed with Melanoma, on my collar bone. Have not gotten the specifics, but have been sceduled for a wide ensicion next week, thier first available appointment. I am very nervous, I am open to any information that would help in this situation.  I am also oddly expeirencing pain in my left underarm, starting around the time of the biopsy.  I am also worried because it is so close to my neck that it may be easier to spread? I wish they would tell me more over the phone. Any help would be great.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Ask for a copy of your pathology report.  Until you have that information, we can only give limited advice.  That report gives vital info for initial staging and from that we can explain the next steps.  Did they mention testing your lymph nodes?  Again May or may not be necessary based on that initial staging.  Call the doc and ask for the report.  Post it here and then we can really be of more help.

Janner
          Participant

Ask for a copy of your pathology report.  Until you have that information, we can only give limited advice.  That report gives vital info for initial staging and from that we can explain the next steps.  Did they mention testing your lymph nodes?  Again May or may not be necessary based on that initial staging.  Call the doc and ask for the report.  Post it here and then we can really be of more help.

hchemotti
              Participant

Thanks for the support guys, I have contacted them for further information, and they gave me some. They are sending me my pathology report via mail. They said I have encapsulated melignant melanoma. They said it is rare but they wont be one hundred percent until they get in there. They believe they will get it all. They also believe my underarm pain is a result of an infection from the biopsy. It is on such a tight spot of skin, especially being top heavy it pulls and tears at the scabbed area. It is just starting to heal. I am a bit nervous because the derm is a bit disorganized and cold. He also assumed I had  a full body check which I did not.  I tried to get them to do it pre surgery ( I have tons of moles ect) so they can get most of what they needed done then.  I may look for another derm afterwards that is less likely to mix things up, and less hurried to rush people out. They scared me with the first phone call- told me I had melanoma and when I was to have it removed and hung right up. I am a worrier to began with. You guys were kind and considerate, where family and friends had a difficult time understanding, I could come here. Thank you.

hchemotti
                Participant

Thanks for the support guys, I have contacted them for further information, and they gave me some. They are sending me my pathology report via mail. They said I have encapsulated melignant melanoma. They said it is rare but they wont be one hundred percent until they get in there. They believe they will get it all. They also believe my underarm pain is a result of an infection from the biopsy. It is on such a tight spot of skin, especially being top heavy it pulls and tears at the scabbed area. It is just starting to heal. I am a bit nervous because the derm is a bit disorganized and cold. He also assumed I had  a full body check which I did not.  I tried to get them to do it pre surgery ( I have tons of moles ect) so they can get most of what they needed done then.  I may look for another derm afterwards that is less likely to mix things up, and less hurried to rush people out. They scared me with the first phone call- told me I had melanoma and when I was to have it removed and hung right up. I am a worrier to began with. You guys were kind and considerate, where family and friends had a difficult time understanding, I could come here. Thank you.

hchemotti
                  Participant

Janner
                  Participant

hbecker
                    Participant

Hi, though I'm sorry you've had to join us here, welcome. We'll do our best to answer your questions and offer support.

As Janner said (she's the expert, not me!), we can help more when you can give us details of the pathology report. With modern technology in physicians' offices, some of them now can email documents like that to you. If not, perhaps they could mail or fax it.

As for the pain under your arm, I'm guessing you had something removed (a mole or other suspicious spot) from your collar bone – or if not, they must have at least done a shave or scrape to biopsy it. Sometimes procedures like this – particularly if it was deep – can cause you to have swolen glands, and if that's happened, it may be causing the pain in your underarm. Don't panic about that! It very easily could be unrelated to the melanoma.

Hoping all goes well with your wide local excision.

Best wishes –

Hazel

hchemotti
                        Participant

hchemotti
                          Participant

hchemotti
                            Participant

hbecker
                            Participant

Hi, though I'm sorry you've had to join us here, welcome. We'll do our best to answer your questions and offer support.

As Janner said (she's the expert, not me!), we can help more when you can give us details of the pathology report. With modern technology in physicians' offices, some of them now can email documents like that to you. If not, perhaps they could mail or fax it.

As for the pain under your arm, I'm guessing you had something removed (a mole or other suspicious spot) from your collar bone – or if not, they must have at least done a shave or scrape to biopsy it. Sometimes procedures like this – particularly if it was deep – can cause you to have swolen glands, and if that's happened, it may be causing the pain in your underarm. Don't panic about that! It very easily could be unrelated to the melanoma.

Best wishes –

Hazel

hbecker
                              Participant

Best wishes –

Hazel

Happy_girl
                                Participant

I was just recently diagnosed stage 1b.  I can tell you (like everyone else here has experienced too) that your mind can play tricks on you.  I actually had a baseline PET scan done.  While I was waiting for the results- I had so many things that hurt.  After it came back clear, I didn't hurt as much.  I guess my reason to tell you this is that when you think about it all the time ( how do you not I know! Hard to do ) you start thinking about everything and every ache and pain.  While I was waiting for my slnb and wle I thought my armpit hurt too.  Be encouraged- it is natural.  You will get through this! 

hchemotti
                                    Participant

hchemotti
                                      Participant

hchemotti
                                        Participant

Happy_girl
                                        Participant

I was just recently diagnosed stage 1b.  I can tell you (like everyone else here has experienced too) that your mind can play tricks on you.  I actually had a baseline PET scan done.  While I was waiting for the results- I had so many things that hurt.  After it came back clear, I didn't hurt as much.  I guess my reason to tell you this is that when you think about it all the time ( how do you not I know! Hard to do ) you start thinking about everything and every ache and pain.  While I was waiting for my slnb and wle I thought my armpit hurt too.  Be encouraged- it is natural.  You will get through this! 

Happy_girl
                                          Participant

ltalley
                                            Participant

Being diagnosed with melanoma is scary!! I remember I got the news on a weekend.. Yes a weekend and had to wait until the following Monday for details. I cried and was scared out of my witts. I remember telling my Mother and she cried and said, " But you're all that I've got." It broke my heart to hear her say that… God Rest Her Soul…..  She died not too long after that, but she was with me until my last surgery. Thank God for that.  But please get a great support system around you, friends, family whoever will listen, because this helps a lot. Be sure to get your path report, as I'm sure it has already been stated in previous posts and take someone with you every time you see your doctor. That way when your nerves get the best of you they can listen to the doctor and help you remember what was said. Plus having someone there is always an awesome comfort.  Once you get specifics on your path report post them here and then some of the people here can give you a better idea of what to expect. But always remeber to seek a melanoma specialists and do the best treatment and follow up care for YOU… Keep us updated soldier!! ๐Ÿ™‚

hchemotti
                                                Participant

hchemotti
                                                  Participant

hchemotti
                                                    Participant

ltalley
                                                    Participant

Being diagnosed with melanoma is scary!! I remember I got the news on a weekend.. Yes a weekend and had to wait until the following Monday for details. I cried and was scared out of my witts. I remember telling my Mother and she cried and said, " But you're all that I've got." It broke my heart to hear her say that… God Rest Her Soul…..  She died not too long after that, but she was with me until my last surgery. Thank God for that.  But please get a great support system around you, friends, family whoever will listen, because this helps a lot. Be sure to get your path report, as I'm sure it has already been stated in previous posts and take someone with you every time you see your doctor. That way when your nerves get the best of you they can listen to the doctor and help you remember what was said. Plus having someone there is always an awesome comfort.  Once you get specifics on your path report post them here and then some of the people here can give you a better idea of what to expect. But always remeber to seek a melanoma specialists and do the best treatment and follow up care for YOU… Keep us updated soldier!! ๐Ÿ™‚

ltalley
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics