The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community New Diagnosis

Participant
      Hey everyone!

I am 31, and I was just diagnosed with melanoma. It is .7 mm. I was told by my dermatologist that I was going to have a wide excision and possibly a sentinel node biopsy/ removal. I don’t meet with my surgical oncologist until next Friday, and for this planner, that is a long time away! Does anyone have any feedback about how long recovery would take for just the wide excision versus both? I am trying to plan time off of work and wanted to know how much I would need.

Thanks in advance!
      Kristen

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          A lot of the answer would depend on location of lesion, your pain tolerance, and the type of work required at your job. With a bit more info, I’m sure forum members can give you better responses.
            kristenh730
            Participant
              Hey-

It is located on my shoulder blade. I have been through several surgeries, so I feel like my pain tolerance is pretty good. I am a teacher, so I am up on my feet and moving a lot.

Thanks.

JudiAU
              Participant
                I had an incision on my neck and it was quite sore but I didn’t take anything other than a strong dose of Tylenol. I avoided turning my neck but less from pain but fear for the scar. It was nasty looking but I have to admit, healed absolutely beautifully. It was a very visible location. If it the incision is on your dominant side and you use a whiteboard to write, you’ll want more time out of the classroom. If they take more lymph nodes you’ll want more time. If you can get away with moving stiffly about your classroom, than I think a few days out will be fine.
              ourvan
              Participant
                Welcome Kristen – sorry you had to join us, but you’ve found the right place! Lots of support and advice here, that’s for sure.
                So, you didn’t mention body area for your surgery or what you do for work, but I can share my story. My surgery was in my calf (inside, 1.2mm) and I had the SNB as well. I have a desk job – surgery on Tuesday, back in the office the following Monday with no discomfort. I hope that helps!
                laurie
                  kristenh730
                  Participant
                    Thank you so much for sharing with me. I appreciate all help and advice I can get. It is on my shoulder blade, and I am a teacher. I am up and moving a lot.

Thanks again, Laurie!

LRS88
                  Participant
                    I did not have a sentinel node biopsy, but I did have a wide local excision of a .5mm melanoma last March on my stomach. While it was more sore than I anticipated it didn’t really slow me down much, I am not a teacher and have a desk job but I also have 2 young kids who I was still able to keep up with. After a couple days of taking it a little easy I was back to my normal routine.
                    mandyjill
                    Participant
                      Kristen,
                      I had a WLE on my shoulder and SLNB done at the same time. I had it done on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday.
                      Amanda
                      tkoss
                      Participant
                        no one ever called it WLE but it was a pretty large football shaped excison on my back. probably about 12″long and 8” wide in the shape of football. frankly I had not pain after surgery and haven’t had any problems that I can detect for the last month and half since surgery.

that is not why I post.

I had SLNB with 4 of 40 nodes under armpit removed at same time. These have not been painful, but certainly I get slight discomfort from time to time. I feel as if I sweat differently or something as both armpits get a kind of scratchy itch on occasion. I also developed a lump in the armpit opposite the armpit where nodes are removed. My conclusion is that if you screw around with your lympth nodes you create problems. It is way I am taking immunotherapy WITHOUT CLNB. My experience with just a few nodes removed seems to prove that to be wise.

tkoss
                          Participant
                            I should add, after ultrasound the lump under armpit determined not to be cancerous. I think that if you screw around with lymphatic system there will be side effects. The location and timing of this lump suggests to me is related to removable of lymph nodes.
                      Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics